• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Learning how to climb

kfinklea1

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelynn
I'm new to the world of grays but not to parrots in general, our newest addition a 12 week out TAG has been living in a smaller flight cage while her larger cage was shipped to us. It now now up and ready to go but she is fairly clumsy and while she can climb up just fine she cant really figure out how to get down. We never had this issue with out last baby, a pionus who lived in his adult cage the day we brought him home.

Is this something we should just let her figure out on her own, we don't want her to get stuck while we are out or fall and hurt herself, as she likes to use her wing like arm for support when she is climbing.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Maybe you could try using a target to help her practice. If your worried she will get hurt in the big cage you can leave her in the smaller one whilst your away.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker was like that at first. He could fly fairly well but clumsy when climbing. I put a big towel in the bottom of his cage for a month to catch him. He soon learned to fall like a cat and lnd on his feet. He now is an acrobat and a Top Gun flyer.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I think the clumsiness will disappear with practice. Something soft to land on, maybe a few low perches or platform perches, and like was mentioned, perhaps a smaller cage while you are out if you’re worried of injuries.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
My boy used to have baby blankets and cardboard in the bottom of his cage to fall onto till he started trying to eat them. Make's for more cleaning but if you know your baby wont eat it and your scared of him//her falling and getting hurt its a idea.