• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Learning about new birds/questions about cockatiels

Emilyjakubac

Moving in
Hi there, I have limited bird experience and have had 2 female cockatiels. The one I currently have is a rather old lady and I know her years are limited. I'm considering getting another bird when she passes (or before ) and I would like to branch out and get a different kind of bird. I haven't become a bird expert by any means but always carefully followed veterinary advice and have found the cockatiels very easy to care for, but neither of the ones I've had are particularly interested in me. My current bird has always wanted to be sitting with or on me if I have a snack to share, and likes head pets when she deems I am worthy to give them, but I wouldn't describe them as affectionate, which is something I would like in a new bird (and yes they were both hand raised). I have heard that male cockatiels are much more interested in being interactive. Is this true? If so, I would consider a male as an option for a new bird.

Otherwise, what types of birds would you recommend for someone like me? Not a total bird newbie, so I won't inadvertantly neglect them or anything, lol, but I don't think I'm ready to get a Macaw or something of the like.

I would be most interested in something that is more affectionate/playful and is just overall a little more bird. Size and looks do not matter, just temperament. I of course know that all birds are different, but I'd like to be pointed in the right direction.

I have also considered going to a bird rescue and meeting some birds, that way I would be able to know who I am bringing home before hand. If I do this, are there any "expert level" breeds you'd recommend I stay away from?

Also, I am not home with my birds 24/7. I take 3 or 4 hours at night to play with my bird I have now, which mainly consists of her coming out to watch me make dinner, have some snacks and then sit on the couch and take a nap by me, lol. Just wanted to add my time constraints as I know many birds need MUCH more interaction than that!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have also considered going to a bird rescue and meeting some birds, that way I would be able to know who I am bringing home before hand. If I do this, are there any "expert level" breeds you'd recommend I stay away from?
That's how you do it.

There are quite a few "species" I would not recommend. Any cockatoo, large Macaw or Amazon. These birds are not a hobby or something you just own. They are a "lifestyle" that you will need to choose and adapt to in order to be successful long term because these birds require a 40+ year commitment. They also require as much space, time and money as any human.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Definitely, go to a rescue!

For a variety of reasons, my choice has always been small to medium birds. As mentioned, larger birds tend to live as long as most humans and are like having children. Larger birds TEND to require more time, to cost more all around and to be more destructive.

In addition to a rescue, go to the individual species forums and check out those "good, bad and ugly" threads. Please know that, while there may be BASIC species characteristics, each bird is an individual just like with people and nurture plays a BIG role. Here's a plan: Describe the average human, then see how many people fit those characteristics.

Yours is not an impossible question. We each have species preferences for our own reasons. With limited information, our responses are also limited. By going often or even volunteering at a rescue, your questions will be answered!

Emilyjakubac

Moving in
I have taken up an interest in Sun Conures, but purely for aesthetic purposes and I know that isn't a good way to choose anything I will be doing some research on them and I won't be getting anything anytime in the near future.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
^^ Are you looking at bird Youtube videos? That will give you an idea about noise levels, behavior, etc.

Emilyjakubac

Moving in
A few here and there. I expect that unless I get a dove (or just get goldfish, lol) I will have noise, even my old lady tiel is not exactly a quiet creature.

Emilyjakubac

Moving in
My first one was Ella, and this one is Miranda. I named them when I was a kid. Ella passed away a few years ago, she'll always stand out it my mind because she broke her leg once and she wore a cute little birb cast for two months she was not as loud. Miranda is better bred and apparently that shows in her vocal abilities. Everytime I talk about other birds people are like "Be careful! Theyre so loud!" And im just thinking... cockatiels are ALSO loud! Especially when they try to imitate sirens as mine does. Imagine a very inaccurate siren noise, but at a pitch only I and the neighborhood dogs can hear,

Reactions: tka

Emilyjakubac

Moving in
I have horses and dogs. Dogs bark, and if you've ever had a horse scream for his friends right next to your head theres no bird in the world that makes you as temporarily deaf LOL

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Having endured the noisy horse, a screeching bird (besides a macaw and a cockatoo) won’t blow out your hearing.