• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Laying eggs...potential outcome?

S.A.S.K.

Meeting neighbors
If I get something like this [below] for my cockatiel, is it a possibility that they'll lay eggs?
1709861181561.png
They are unsexed, so he might be a "she".

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If it is a female, you are asking for problems with something like that. They are well known for creating chronic laying problems in birds such as cockatiels.

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
very possible. when tiels get the vibes, they can start laying even on cage bottoms. like mentioned above, i suggest avoiding any nest-like items or encouraging egg laying. in captivity, the egg laying can get out of hand really quick, and the chance for the female to die becomes very high. in nature, cold weather and the lack of food acts as an automatic sign for the female to stop laying. this is not always the case in captivity, as they technically live in permanent summer (unless you simulate winter).

if the idea is to figure out is your tiel a male or female without taking a test, you can just wait for them to grow up a bit. males have very characteristic behavior, and you should be able to tell in no time if he is a male or female.
it also seems (and this may very well be disproven so take it with a grain of salt) that female tiels have large yellow (or white in the case of whitefaced) spots on their primaries and secondaries. the males as babies have these too, but significantly smaller. they disappear as they molt to their adult feathers. i sexed my 2 month old with that, and was correct. of course this was only once, so there is large room for errors.
i cannot find the specific image to attach here im afraid.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Take it from me, you dont wont to encourage egg laying. I have a chronic egg layer. Its no fun.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Aside from egg laying, theyre really really unsafe.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If I get something like this
Was there a reason you were looking at this item?
If you are looking for a good place for your bird to sleep, most enjoy a nice natural branch, my birds like the multi branch types. Others like platforms.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As @Zara said, you could try platform perches. If your bird will use one, it is a good way to keep their nails filed down.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels generally don't like huts because of their long tails- and also I second what everyone else said.

S.A.S.K.

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, all!
He doesn't like sleeping on the branches as much, and will instead opt for the food bowl [sometimes].

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He doesn't like sleeping on the branches as much, and will instead opt for the food bowl [sometimes].
Have a go with some nice platform perches, see if he likes them, if not looks for something more rounded or bowl shape like the link Emma posted above, or I have seen other hanging baskets you could look at.