• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Late Night Vomiting

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Keep us posted.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sending good thoughts that the vet can help her!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Today's the day........fingers crossed, let us know what the vet thinks.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Back from the vet here's what they did
-Fecal Sample
-Blood test (to test organ functions eg, kidney, liver)

The vet said she's slightly underweight (5 grams underweight) otherwise there was nothing they could see with an exam. The blood test is to test the kidneys and liver because she's old and ate seeds for 15 years and the fecal sample is to look for any abnormalities. The vet didn't see anything in the fecal sample with a quick look but she's going to take a closer look later. The bloodwork results will be in tomorrow so they're going to call me.

She thinks the vomiting may behavioral and thought it was odd that it only happened at night. They could have done an xray but it would be under anesthesia which was risky because of her age so the vet and I agreed it would be best to not do that due to the risks.

She said I could feed a very small amount of either high energy food (she said Harrisons had a good one) or baby bird food and to weigh her weekly to ensure her weight doesn't go over 55 grams or go lower so I'll need to go buy a kitchen scale because both mine are broken.

She was sleeping for a bit and now she's eating some pellets

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
When the vet calls you with bloodwork results, please ask her about feeding Kamara the Harrison's recovery fomula.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
When the vet calls you with bloodwork results, please ask her about feeding Kamara the Harrison's recovery fomula.
Ok, I will ask her tomorrow when she calls
Edit: in the meantime is there anything like veggies I can give her to help her make back the blood she lost? I corn on the cob tonight so I took a small chunk and stuck it on a skewer for her because I figure to starch will give her more energy

Last edited:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Will she eat kale, zuchinni or broccoli?
It is good the she continues to eat her pellets. That is really good.
My birds are usually tired after a trip to the vet.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Will she eat kale, zuchinni or broccoli?
It is good the she continues to eat her pellets. That is really good.
My birds are usually tired after a trip to the vet.
Yes she ate quite a bit when she got home.
I have some baby kale I can give to her tomorrow, I put her to bed 45 minutes ago

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
The vet just called. She said everything in the blood test came back normal so her liver, kidneys and organs are fine (which is great because I wanted to test that anyway) and they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in the fecal sample.
So her vet thinks the vomiting is behavioral or caused by an unforeseen medical condition. Because the vomiting has been decreasing in frequency she said to not worry about it as long as she's acting normally and eating and drinking. If it increases in frequency then we'd come back and do another blood test for a blood count this time and/or an x-ray.
I'll start keeping track of what dates she does it to see if it's increasing or decreasing in frequency. Otherwise today she's back to acting normally, she ate breakfast and screamed at me to get it for her as she always does.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The vet just called. She said everything in the blood test came back normal so her liver, kidneys and organs are fine (which is great because I wanted to test that anyway) and they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in the fecal sample.
So her vet thinks the vomiting is behavioral or caused by an unforeseen medical condition. Because the vomiting has been decreasing in frequency she said to not worry about it as long as she's acting normally and eating and drinking. If it increases in frequency then we'd come back and do another blood test for a blood count this time and/or an x-ray.
I'll start keeping track of what dates she does it to see if it's increasing or decreasing in frequency. Otherwise today she's back to acting normally, she ate breakfast and screamed at me to get it for her as she always does.
I can't remember if this has been asked and answered yet, but what are her poops like? Smaller than before or about normal? Could she be impacted?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad the test results were good.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
It was great that her blood results were normal.
Do you think your grand mother fed her grit?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very good that test results were all within the normal range.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That's great that her test results came back normal. I hope the vomiting subsides!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I can't remember if this has been asked and answered yet, but what are her poops like? Smaller than before or about normal? Could she be impacted?
The vet saw a few of her poops and said they looked good and healthy. I told the vet she was fed grit for several years and said she wouldn't be impacted because it's been so long and she's still eating and pooping well

It was great that her blood results were normal.
Do you think your grand mother fed her grit?
She most certainly did because she gave me a bag of grit to feed her after I took her (which I tossed in the trash) and she's been trying to get me to feed it to her for weeks and said "I fed it to her and she never vomited with me"

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am glad the vet thought the grit is not a problem.

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Quick update, good news! Since she came home from the vet I started covering her cage at night. She hasn't had a night time vomiting episode since.
Thanks for all the support and advice! We both appreciate it a lot!
I'm so happy she's in good health!!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great news!:dance4: