• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Late Night Vomiting

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Tonight around midnight Kamara (lovebird) began vomiting (know for sure it's vomiting because she's shaking her head and getting it on the walls and cage) The nearest 24 emergency clinic for birds is an hour away so that's out of the question, her vet opens at 7am and I will be calling them first thing.
What can I do for her in the meantime? She is drinking water but she's spending time on the bottom of her cage (I know that's what they do when they're sick)

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
In the meantime just make sure he has plenty of fresh clean water, the source for this can be quite a few reasons I've read, anywhere from metal, plant poisoning, bacterial infections, organ disease, to diet, whether its a change of food, higher proteins, allergy to food, blockage from intestinal conditions to egg binding, so many reasons i can imagine it has to be scary not knowing what is going on.
I would also keep a log of things that have changed in his environment, from the addition of new items, diet change, how clean is the cage and food / water always fresh, and of course log down all the changes you've noticed with your bird, how frequent he throws up, when it first started, any other symptoms.

I really hope it's nothing serious and all that's needed to fix it is to make some changes or corrections.
Wishing you the best, hope to hear some good news soon! (°∀°)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope its not gastric yeast.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So happy you are taking her in, good luck, hope its nothing to serious and please let us know.:sadhug:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sending a prayer your way.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's okay. Keep us posted.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hope she is ok

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Just got back from the vet, she has parasites in her crop and the lab results will get back tomorrow and we can get her on some medication. The vet is legitimately worried she may die in the meantime because of her breathing and the fact she was sitting at the bottom of the cage. She's home now and is off the floor and is sitting on her favorite perch which I'm taking as a good sign. I was told to offer her water and pedialyte (in separate dishes in case she doesn't like pedialyte) she's breathing quite heavily because I can hear her breathing. I'm taking the day off work to be with her and make sure the room is warm and humid enough for her as recommended by her vet. I'll keep you guys posted on her condition

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor baby. Sending prayers that she will be okay. I've honestly never heard of parasites in the crop before. I guess the vet ruled out a bacterial infection?

@Hankmacaw ?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Poor baby. Sending prayers that she will be okay. I've honestly never heard of parasites in the crop before. I guess the vet ruled out a bacterial infection?

@Hankmacaw ?
At first the vet thought it may be a yeast thing but she said she found large parasites in her crop and she *thinks* it may be some kind of roundworm egg but we'll get a definitive answer tomorrow when the results come back

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's horrifying!!! :( I hope your little girl will be okay. :sadhug:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no!:( I hope your sweet little precious girl will be okay! Sending good thoughts your way.
:sadhug2:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sending healing thoughts and hugs for you and your fid :hug8::hug8::hug8:

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
She seems to be in good spirits right now, I just got her the pedialyte and I'm offering it in a dish next to her water dish so I hope she gives it a try, she hasn't eaten today yet (other than the millet I used to bribe her into her travel cage) she did bring up a few more times after she got home.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Blessings to you and Kamara.
More prayers coming your way.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Oh no, roundworms? Sending prayers to you and your fid.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
What's a good way to keep her warm? The room is 70 right now and I have a hot water bottle at the bottom of the cage and I change it every hour or so. Anything else I can do for heat? I have a hydrometer in her cage and I'm keeping the humidity up at 50-60% and I've covered the back and top of her cage (sides and front are open for ventilation)
Just want to make sure these conditions are correct, I wasn't given specific numbers for heat and humidity

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I have used a heating pad under the cage, which is what you are doing with the water bottle.
Also perhaps a desk lamp next to the cage can add some warmth.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here are a couple of articles about roundworms in parrots. Never hurts to be well informed.

Supportive care is very important right now. She needs to be warm (85-90f), kept well hydrated and it's important that she have nutrition. She is partially starved by the round worms now. Can you make a mixture of baby bird food and juice ( sugar for immediate energy) and feed it to her with a syringe? After a couple of feedings switch to water instead of juice. You can get a syringe from your vet. Keep her quiet - she needs her energy to help get well.

You can cover three sides of the cage without a problem.

I hope your baby gets well.

Roundworms:
Various genera and species of roundworms infect pet birds, and wild birds may transmit nematodes to captive parrots housed outdoors. Transmission is direct by ingestion of embryonated ova. Clinical findings include loss of condition, weakness, emaciation, and death; intestinal obstruction is common in heavy infections. Diagnosis of intestinal nematode infection is by fecal flotation, although shedding of ova may be intermittent. Ivermectin (0.2 mg/kg, PO, SC, or IM, repeated in 10–14 days), pyrantel pamoate (4.5 mg/kg, PO, repeated in 10–14 days), or fenbendazole (20–50 mg/kg, PO, repeated in 14 days) are generally effective. In warm climates where exposure via outdoor aviaries is likely, routine deworming (every 6 mo) with one of these anthelmintics is often practiced.
Parasitic Diseases of Pet Birds - Exotic and Laboratory Animals - Veterinary Manual

Intestinal Roundworms (Ascarids) in Birds: Life Cycle, Signs, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
The term "roundworms" actually applies to a number of parasitic worms that belong to the phylum of worms called "nematodes." Nematodes can affect almost any body system, including the digestive tract, respiratory tract, heart and blood vessels, brain, eyes, and connective tissue. "Roundworms" is also the term commonly used to describe "ascarids," which are intestinal nematodes of the genus "Ascaris." Intestinal roundworms are a common parasite among companion birds, especially cockatiels, budgies, and imported macaws. They are also more common in birds who are kept outdoors with access to the ground. An infection with roundworms is termed "ascariasis."

Life cycle

Intestinal roundworms in birds have a direct life cycle. A bird will ingest the eggs of the parasite, usually as a result of eating contaminated food or water. The eggs hatch into larvae in the small intestine. There, they mature into adults. The worms mate, and the females produce eggs which are passed in the feces. The eggs become infective after remaining in the environment for at least 2-3 weeks. They can persist in a moist environment for a long time.

Signs of roundworm infection

Birds with intestinal roundworm infestations may develop diarrhea, anorexia (loss of appetite), and weight loss. Some birds may regurgitate or have a decreased amount of feces. Young birds may become stunted. In severe infestations, the worms can cause a partial or complete obstruction of the intestine, which can ultimately cause the death of the bird.

Diagnosis

The adult worms, which are usually 1-1½ inches in length, are rarely seen. Usually an intestinal roundworm infestation is diagnosed by identifying the eggs in the stool of the bird. A flotation solution is used to separate the eggs from the rest of the stool, and the resulting sample is examined microscopically.

Treatment

To treat a bird with intestinal roundworms, medications containing pyrantel pamoate, piperazine, fenbendazole, or ivermectin are most commonly used. Birds with severe infestations often need supportive treatment and nutritional supplementation. It is often recommended to repeat the treatment in 10-14 days. In addition to treating the bird, the environment must also be treated or reinfection will occur. Cages, food and water bowls, nesting areas, and any toys or other articles possibly contaminated with feces should be washed and dried thoroughly. The eggs are resistant to almost all disinfectants; steam cleaning after removing any visible feces will kill the eggs.

Prevention

To prevent roundworms, quarantine all new birds, and have a fecal analysis performed. If birds are kept outside, limit their access to the ground and free ranging birds. Use good hygiene, regularly cleaning the cage, bowls, nest areas, and other items. A dry environment will decrease the survivability of the eggs.

References and Further Reading
Oglesbee, BL. Mycotic Diseases. Altman, RB; Clubb, SL; Dorrestein, GM; Quesenberry, K. (eds.) Avian Medicine and Surgery. W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA; 1997.

Olsen, GH; Orosz, SE. Manual of Avian Medicine. Mosby, Inc. St. Louis, MO; 2000.

Rupley, AE. Manual of Avian Practice. W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA; 1997.