• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Large scab on budgie's belly

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
About a week or two ago, I noticed my budgie (about 3 months old then), scratching at his belly a little, and was surprised to see what seemed like a very large scab on his lower belly.
At first I thought it was something new, even though I had never seen any blood or signs of an injury. But, it seems the scab must be right between feather tracts and is virtually invisible most of the time. So I'm not sure how long he has had it.
At first I thought I'd wait and see, as he was playful and active, there was never any blood, and it didn't seem to bother him except for the occasional itch. I know they hide it when they don't feel well, but I don't think he'd scratch it if it was painful.
His wings were clipped a little too short when I got him, and he likes to climb to the highest perches he can find and swing around on toys, so he's had some falls. He might've hurt himself in a fall, but the scab's on his lower belly, not over his keel where you would expect fall-related injuries. And again, no blood.
It makes me think of an older tumor that started to ulcerate and scab... that would explain the lack of blood.. but he seems too young for that.
Any ideas on what this could be?
And yes, he's going to the vet, but the soonest I could get an appointment is next Tuesday, since it wasn't an emergency.
birds 003 (2).JPG
The picture's not great, the flash made it look shiny, but it's just a dry old scab on his lower belly in front of the vent.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Guess it doesn't help too much since it's so hard to see but I took some more pictures.
Here you can see how well hidden it is under the feathers:
3-1 002.JPG
But here you can kind of see how big it is even though only parts of it is visible. That black around where his leg joins his belly is scab, not a shadow.
3-1 005.JPG 3-1 005_01.JPG

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could it have been scratched with a toenail? Is he biting or picking at the skin?

Last edited:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think it's too big to just be from a scratch.
He scratches at with his foot occasionally, it doesn't seem to bother him much, just itches now and then.

I'm hoping I'll just be told it's nothing and to just wait for it to fall off on its own.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I should add that I meant that I hope the vet will say its nothing, but I'm getting worried about it. When I first noticed it, I figured it must be about to fall off, when it didn't fall off and seemed to get bigger, I got worried and called the vet.
He seems too young to have a tumor, too old for it to be a yolk sac infection, but it doesn't really seem like a scab from a wound either. Really puzzling.

He seems happy and active though. Last night he was climbing all over and pestering poor Cheeky. He likes to grab hold of her toes and get dragged behind her, much to her annoyance.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When is your appointment?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope it’s nothing serious!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It bothers me also. I’m glad you called the vet. How long have you noticed it? Is it healing at all? He is a very active little guy!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I noticed it around 2 weeks ago, it might've been there longer as it's hard to see without looking for it, even though it's large. At first I though I'd just watch it and it would fall off, since it wasn't affecting him. Finally decided to bring him in because it looks the same - no worse, no better.
His appointment is Tues morning.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The fact that it has feathers over it makes me think it's not from an injury or mutilation. Maybe a bacterial or fungal issue.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I got back from the vet.
She couldn't see what the problem was without removing the scab to see what was underneath. She tried wetting it down to see if it would loosen and it wouldn't come off, so she recommended removing it under anesthesia in case it started bleeding.
Well, she took him back and was gone for about 20 min, when she came back, she said he didn't have to anesthetize him anyway, the scab fell off as she went to pick him up. So at least that was good.

The problem is that it's a deep infection over his keel, from falling. He's had some falls because he can't fly and sometimes thinks he can jump farther than he can. He is on antibiotics and pain meds 2x a day, topical cream once a day, and getting rechecked in 2 weeks.

Poor little guy though, he can't fly at all, just goes straight down, it's hard to protect him - even with extra padding down where he's most likely to fall. I don't think it's entirely the breeder's fault since his wings really aren't clipped horribly short. He just seems to have weaker feathers than normal (probably since he was plucked by his mom as a baby).

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh and does anyone recommend a good probiotic for birds? I know handfeeding formulas usually have some, would giving him a little formula be a good idea? I forgot to ask the vet.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I got back from the vet.
She couldn't see what the problem was without removing the scab to see what was underneath. She tried wetting it down to see if it would loosen and it wouldn't come off, so she recommended removing it under anesthesia in case it started bleeding.
Well, she took him back and was gone for about 20 min, when she came back, she said he didn't have to anesthetize him anyway, the scab fell off as she went to pick him up. So at least that was good.

The problem is that it's a deep infection over his keel, from falling. He's had some falls because he can't fly and sometimes thinks he can jump farther than he can. He is on antibiotics and pain meds 2x a day, topical cream once a day, and getting rechecked in 2 weeks.

Poor little guy though, he can't fly at all, just goes straight down, it's hard to protect him - even with extra padding down where he's most likely to fall. I don't think it's entirely the breeder's fault since his wings really aren't clipped horribly short. He just seems to have weaker feathers than normal (probably since he was plucked by his mom as a baby).
So glad it isn't a tumor though. Thank you for taking him in. :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your just have to keep him in a padded cage, or maybe a huge fish tank, till his feathers some back...poor little one..glad he's gonna heal and be ok.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yeah, poor little guy will NOT be happy being kept from going to high perches. He loves to be allowed to play on the big stand, but tends to climb to the very highest perch and start swinging around by one foot. I keep the tray underneath padded (a few towels under the papers) but that might not be enough.
Most of his worst falls have come from when I was carrying him to his cage and he decided to try to fly there when I was still 10 inches or so away. Poor guy can't even manage that, and he goes straight down. But I've learned to keep one hand under him as I approach where he wants to go, ready to catch him in case he jumps.
I don't like keeping him caged, but I will probably end up limiting him to desk next to his cage and the sofa in the living room, both low enough that he can't do much damage. I think I'll make him a little stand with some swings that I can set on the sofa to let him have his fun safely.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad they didn’t have to use anesthesia to figure out what it was. Aviculture and Avibios are good probiotics. Walking backwards with him in front of your tummy might keep him from flying off. I hope he heals soon!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m so glad you took him to the vet! Is there anything you can do to strengthen his wings after he heals? I really think he needs to be in a short cage.

I took my parrots to the vet today. It turns out the my littlest one, a green cheek, has a badly broken keel. The vet says this is why he plucks his chest and that the break happened from a fall. She said it is an old break and happened before I adopted him, since he was plucked when I adopted him. He’s been to the vet many times in the 2 years since I adopted him for check ups and grooming, but they all missed the break. Not that it matters since it’s old. Anyway, I’d be careful that your little guy doesn’t hurt himself further by falling. He sounds like a cutie though!!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m so glad you took him to the vet! Is there anything you can do to strengthen his wings after he heals? I really think he needs to be in a short cage.

I took my parrots to the vet today. It turns out the my littlest one, a green cheek, has a badly broken keel. The vet says this is why he plucks his chest and that the break happened from a fall. She said it is an old break and happened before I adopted him, since he was plucked when I adopted him. He’s been to the vet many times in the 2 years since I adopted him for check ups and grooming, but they all missed the break. Not that it matters since it’s old. Anyway, I’d be careful that your little guy doesn’t hurt himself further by falling. He sounds like a cutie though!!
I hope your little GCC is ok.
My little guy did have some nasty falls before I learned to pad everything and be ready to catch him. He never squawked or acted like he was hurt, he'd just run over to be picked up every time, so I figured he was ok. But their keels are so delicate. I used to have a partial crow skeleton and I remember that keel bone being thin enough to see light through it.