• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Laferber's nutri berries

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Hello
I recently bought some Lafeber's nutri-berries. I bought the garden veggie and the el paso.
Anna loves them. I feed her one a day.
My question is can I feed her more than one a day? the other question is should I feed her one a day or maybe not so often?
I am not sure how good these are for her.
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are fine to have a few a day of those usually. Lafeber says they can be used as a whole diet; while I don't agree with that necessarily, I do use them as foraging treats and my quaker probably gets 3 a day depending on how determined he is!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
They are a pretty good food and I believe the package says that macaws and cockatoos can have 6-7/per day. I allow my GW female about 6 per day because she is difficult to keep weight on. They are about 60% pellets and the veggie ones are pretty darned low in fats.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's nothing wrong with a few of them per day. Especially for a larger bird. What your concern should be is that it does not start replacing the other good things it should be eating because a cockatoo's appetite is easily perverted. Just like a child, if you offer candy and broccoli, the child will always choose the candy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
All of mine get one per day. All of mine like theirs crushed lol.

I feed the Macaw size Tropical fruit the Macaw Senior, and they seem to like Sunny orchard.

I've fed these for years.

I never go by what Companies reccomend. I just feed one. More won't hurt, but to me it's a treat moreso. :)

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Thank you all for the replies. That is helpful. As far as treats go, what other kind of treats do you give your toos?
Anna is sort of picky. She likes peanuts and sunflower seeds of course, but I know they are not good for her. She not big on fresh fruit or veggies even though I introduce a little every day.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton really doesn't go for any food "treats"...except the bad ones, of course...cake and dairy products being tops on that list. He'll call just about anything "CAKE" if he thinks it's food he can eat. Don't tell Milty, but we'll call birdie bread "cake", and pretend to eat it...which gets him VERY interested in having some. ;)

Like I said...Milty isn't into food treats...he'd much rather have his favorite reward...attention!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe almonds, walnuts, pistachios?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'toos get almonds, walnuts and/or cashews as well as Lafeber Avi-cakes and parrot popcorn as treats. They also get Avian Organics baked treats. Not all in one day, of course, and not a lot at one time. The walnuts and almonds are in shell whereas the cashews are unshelled roasted and unsalted.
On special occasions they do get to eat a very small amount of junk food (small piece of birthday cake or birthday cupcake).

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Some almond butter on a Popsicle stick. Kiwi fruit is popular.
View attachment 277303
Awwww AMANDA! Will have to try kiwi! I too buy nutriberries for Freddy, primarily because it's a treat that has nutritional value. But the lovebirds like them more than he does! My little piggy lovebirds! LOL

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Milton really doesn't go for any food "treats"...except the bad ones, of course...cake and dairy products being tops on that list. He'll call just about anything "CAKE" if he thinks it's food he can eat. Don't tell Milty, but we'll call birdie bread "cake", and pretend to eat it...which gets him VERY interested in having some. ;)

Like I said...Milty isn't into food treats...he'd much rather have his favorite reward...attention!
yea, Anna seems to like attention more than anything too LOL I just wish she would stop screaming for it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
are those nuts ok for a too? I thought all nuts were kind of bad..too much fat content?

No a little fat is healthy and necessary for all living things to be able to utilize certain nutrients. There is less fat in almonds, walnuts, and pistachios than sunflower seeds or peanuts actually. In rank from least to most:

almonds
walnuts
pistachios
peanuts
sunflower seeds

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Leo my goffin loves pecans and almonds. Pecans are great because they can be cracked in half for him and they sort of stick inside their shells so he has to work to get at the meat unlike almonds that just rattle around inside the shells. It is a great way to keep him busy. I have also noticed that physical affection is a much more powerful treat for Leo as well. Maybe try giving your bird some new toys to distract them so they don't scream so much?? Leo got a new toy from the rodent section of petsmart. It was an alfalfa carrot and it kept him busy for quite a while. I was able to leave the room for almost an hour before he even noticed my absence. He also loves cat toys. I only give him the ones he can't destroy. Same with dog toys. He seems to have a really weak beak. He can't crack open nuts himself. I have to start them for him if it's an almond or crack it in half if it's a walnut or pecan. Needy baby lol.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I make up alot of nutri berry forging toys for the birds at the clinic I volunteer at. The macaws and toos get 4-5 a day as part of their diet. Something like this:
20180706_192619.jpg
tootsie pop style, the color paper is coffee filters dyed with bird safe food coloring, as are the popsicle sticks. The ties are raffia, hemp, or cotton butcher twine

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't give nutri berries to my birds because I don't feel they are adding anything for them nutritionally. My birds already get some pellets and seeds every day, which is what nutri berries are made of, so feeding them just results in feeding more of the same stuff my bird's base diet is made of. I'm sure its okay to give a few, just know that there are better things you could be giving your birds. Such as fresh or cooked veggies and fruit. If I add anything to my bird's diet its an almond a couple times a week and otherwise a solid 30-50% of their diet comes from fresh or cooked food.