• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Lafeber does it again

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes, I've seen the Tweetypies perches with bowls. Right now I have to limit what I purchase due to expenses so trying to stick to necessities. How do you like the new flight cage?
Chewy does have limited bird products but at least they have started to carry some items. I asked them to stock Caitec OFBs but that never happened. I requested that more than once. Where do you get your Senior Nutriberries from?
The cage just arrived yesterday. I didn't get home until after 7 pm. Physically whipped from working at the gallery and shopping Walmart after. I was too tired to make grub for the biggies so they only got a couple of fresh veggies ... they were pretty disappointed when I got done doing their cages and had no cooked goodies for them. First time I've ever not made it for them. I had only slept about an hour so when I got home and unloaded my van I had to lay down for a couple of hours.. which is why I just couldn't do the cooked. I don't think I've ever seen Lola completely eat a small carrot instead of breaking it up. Made me smile when I cleaned her floor papers up later. So, the cage is still in the box. I haven't even opened it to make sure it's the color I ordered. I'm washed out today. I've never ordered the Senior Nutriberries, I was surprised they had peanuts as an ingredient. Do you think they help your birds? Do they devour the whole nutriberry?

The extra chop I made for Lola and Henry with serrano peppers, small yellow, red and orange sweet peppers, fresh ginger, kale and carrot has been a bigger hit with Henry. I made some quinoa and mixed it in with the fine chop for a little extra substance and they both like it. I froze it so I can break off pieces and thaw for a spoonful on the side in their evening meal. I tasted it... verrrrry... spicey!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that the cage will be OK. Sometimes our birds just need to be flexible. I'm sure they got over not getting their cooked goodies.
One thing I don't like about the Sr. Nutriberries is that they contain peanuts. I don't feed my birds peanuts. However, they do seem to be helping Scully. Since I've been feeding him these (only give him @4 daily or every other day) his liver values are now normal. My BE2 will not eat them. I've also been giving them to my Senegal and BFA and they both eat them but my BFA prefers Caitec OFBs.

The peppery chop sounds good. I wonder if Cody would eat that. She likes quinoa although I gave her a mash containing that and she wouldn't touch it. Do you feed your birds multiple meals daily?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I hope that the cage will be OK. Sometimes our birds just need to be flexible. I'm sure they got over not getting their cooked goodies.
One thing I don't like about the Sr. Nutriberries is that they contain peanuts. I don't feed my birds peanuts. However, they do seem to be helping Scully. Since I've been feeding him these (only give him @4 daily or every other day) his liver values are now normal. My BE2 will not eat them. I've also been giving them to my Senegal and BFA and they both eat them but my BFA prefers Caitec OFBs.

The peppery chop sounds good. I wonder if Cody would eat that. She likes quinoa although I gave her a mash containing that and she wouldn't touch it. Do you feed your birds multiple meals daily?
I hope so too. I still haven't unboxed it. Today was a sit down day as much as I could but still had to get up and down to look for things, take the dogs out....
I don't think I've missed their evening meal over 3-4 times in the past 10 years. I could see his anticipation for the food but oh well... he did have a couple of fresh veggies on his tray to eat and he did devour those. I fed the evening meal late so they consume more of their pellets. The funny thing is, both will munch on pellets sometimes while I'm changing papers and always eat pellets after they've eaten their fill of the evening grain and vegetable mix. Pretty much potato birds after they gorge. It's so great the senior nutriberries have helped Scully... all the more worth giving them to him. None of my birds are crazy about the Caitec OFBS, I still give them though. One of these days I'll create a recipe and crush them up fine and mix them in to get them gone. I'll never reorder them. I'm really hoping they like all the better bites I ordered from Unapproved Vendor's. Try the peppery chop... someone is bound to really like it. I didn't overdo the addition of the cooked quinoa and the one ingredient I forgot to mention was half of a Pink Lady apple for a bit of sweetness.

I don't feed fresh meals multiple times a day. Evenings are when they all get fresh, cooked ( and fresh) for the biggies and Bob also gets some of what Lola and Henry get. I can't put anything that has apple in it in the bird room or I'll have those palmetto bugs coming in. They do anyway but at least they aren't climbing the cages to get any dropped food. Apple is optional in the spicy mix but I don't think it would attract bugs as much because of the peppers. Everybody here eats Zupreem and Roudybush, lately Henry will eat some Tops. They all get volkman seed ( Littles), when their favorites run out they have no option but to eat more of their pellets. Seed is not replenished every day but every 4 days. Lola and Henry each get a little over a teaspoon of safflower when they are locked up in a separate cup, I also add an almond, either half a pecan or walnut, a couple of pieces of dried fruit ( sulphur free) and a few pieces of star anise. I'm looking forward to the goodie from Unapproved Vendor's to give some bits of those too. Lock up isn't so bad when they have something extra to eat but then after they munch on this cup they also eat more pellets before it's lights out. Do you give multiple meals daily? I think it would be ideal, but as I get older it's getting more difficult to manage a flock of eight.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the AM the birds will get cooked veggies, baked treats, some type of nut and/or chop (Unapproved Vendor's). Later in the day I will refresh their seed mix depending on what is in there and pellets although they don't get pellets every day. They have access to food 24/7. Some days instead of pellets they get vitamins and Casey gets a calcium/vitamin mix every few days. They are not big fruit eaters but I used to pass out apples and then stopped when I started getting ants because of the apples. Everyone gets some type of Volkman Avian Science seed mix. They all like those mixes although they don't like everything in the mix. I don't do fresh veggies multiple times a day or even daily but they do get something as I indicated above. Hard to feed multiple times a day with the number of birds I have. The only thing I would be doing all day would be feeding the birds and cleaning their cages. The dehydrated veggies work out so well. Much easier. Unfortunately, they don't like everything in the chops and sometimes what they usually like for whatever reason they won't eat from the chop. For example, Cody likes cooked green beans and banana chips but she won't eat the green beans or banana chips from one of the chops.

The OFBs are popular here. I give Casey some OFBs and Senior Nutriberries along with his Volkman mix and the first thing he eats are the OFBs. In fact all of the birds except Jake, Cody and Jaden pick out the OFBs first. These 3 are not fans of the OFBs. Right now I am giving the 'tiels and Jaden Mazuri Small Bird Maintenance. Jaden seems to like the Mazuri better than the OFBs. The 'tiels will eat both.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
In the AM the birds will get cooked veggies, baked treats, some type of nut and/or chop (Unapproved Vendor's). Later in the day I will refresh their seed mix depending on what is in there and pellets although they don't get pellets every day. They have access to food 24/7. Some days instead of pellets they get vitamins and Casey gets a calcium/vitamin mix every few days. They are not big fruit eaters but I used to pass out apples and then stopped when I started getting ants because of the apples. Everyone gets some type of Volkman Avian Science seed mix. They all like those mixes although they don't like everything in the mix. I don't do fresh veggies multiple times a day or even daily but they do get something as I indicated above. Hard to feed multiple times a day with the number of birds I have. The only thing I would be doing all day would be feeding the birds and cleaning their cages. The dehydrated veggies work out so well. Much easier. Unfortunately, they don't like everything in the chops and sometimes what they usually like for whatever reason they won't eat from the chop. For example, Cody likes cooked green beans and banana chips but she won't eat the green beans or banana chips from one of the chops.

The OFBs are popular here. I give Casey some OFBs and Senior Nutriberries along with his Volkman mix and the first thing he eats are the OFBs. In fact all of the birds except Jake, Cody and Jaden pick out the OFBs first. These 3 are not fans of the OFBs. Right now I am giving the 'tiels and Jaden Mazuri Small Bird Maintenance. Jaden seems to like the Mazuri better than the OFBs. The 'tiels will eat both.

Agreed.... With the number of birds here I would be catering all day if I did fresh multiple times a day, my schedule just doesn't allow for it, and anymore my legs are only willing to do so much during the day. I'm a tough cookie but by the end of the evening my body has had it. But I'm super happy when everything is cleaned... I could always do more but there aren't enough hours in the day. Do you bake treats for them?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed.... With the number of birds here I would be catering all day if I did fresh multiple times a day, my schedule just doesn't allow for it, and anymore my legs are only willing to do so much during the day. I'm a tough cookie but by the end of the evening my body has had it. But I'm super happy when everything is cleaned... I could always do more but there aren't enough hours in the day. Do you bake treats for them?
Don't bake for the birds; don't bake for myself either. I purchase Avian Organics baked treats and Unapproved Vendor's Dailies baked goodies. However I did purchase some bird bread mixes and baked those and they wouldn't eat them, not even the birds who like cakes/breads.

I go upstairs and downstairs several times with water, bags of food, etc. and I just couldn't see doing that multiple times a day to feed them. I try to carry everything up at once but sometimes I can't do that. When I do fresh veggies, I carry multiple bowls filled with the veggies. I used to just bring the bowl I cooked them in but it's easier to distribute that downstairs and then bring all of those up. Then I bring them down again to wash them and put them away.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Don't bake for the birds; don't bake for myself either. I purchase Avian Organics baked treats and Unapproved Vendor's Dailies baked goodies. However I did purchase some bird bread mixes and baked those and they wouldn't eat them, not even the birds who like cakes/breads.

I go upstairs and downstairs several times with water, bags of food, etc. and I just couldn't see doing that multiple times a day to feed them. I try to carry everything up at once but sometimes I can't do that. When I do fresh veggies, I carry multiple bowls filled with the veggies. I used to just bring the bowl I cooked them in but it's easier to distribute that downstairs and then bring all of those up. Then I bring them down again to wash them and put them away.
I don't bake for myself either unless it's a blueberry muffin that I heat up in the toaster oven so it has that fresh baked crispy top...:joyful:
I have been wanting to bake some goodies for the birds though. Until then I'll wait for my goodies from Unapproved Vendor's to see how they like them. I've never done the bird bread but sure would give it a try.

Just went to Avian Organics and looked around. I see quite a few things I would love to try. Next time around when extra dough is laying around! It would be easy to place a large order!

Stairs are my enemy. I can't use my left leg to step up on stairs so I have to do one step at a time with my right leg. Now, my right knee has a rachet sound. I would like to go to a new orthopedic surgeon to have my left leg looked at and to better understand the pain I have with movement. At this point I still don't want any surgery and just live with the pain. It's all day, everyday and more sharp depending on what I'm doing. Even as simple as slipping my foot into a shoe can be sharp pain. Nothing like having a constant reminder!!!! :bash:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I have had a customer now three times buy the Tropical Fruit ones and they are a big solid nutriberry :lol:
Personally I think it is how he stores it. They are very fresh when I get them, soft and chewy like they are normally.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I’ve been buying the senior berries in the small packaging. It’s been the only way that I’ve been able to get whole pieces.

When I order directly from Lafeber I always include a note and ask that they package everything wrapped well and to place it flat in the box.

I still think the best way to get the freshest is to order directly from them. I did notice a lot of extra bubblewrap and paper in the box I received. It did seem to help this time.
I am switching my older birds to the senior ones, they seem to just chuck them on the floor lol

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have had a customer now three times buy the Tropical Fruit ones and they are a big solid nutriberry :lol:
Personally I think it is how he stores it. They are very fresh when I get them, soft and chewy like they are normally.
Isn't Avian Organics your store?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't bake for myself either unless it's a blueberry muffin that I heat up in the toaster oven so it has that fresh baked crispy top...:joyful:
I have been wanting to bake some goodies for the birds though. Until then I'll wait for my goodies from Unapproved Vendor's to see how they like them. I've never done the bird bread but sure would give it a try.

Just went to Avian Organics and looked around. I see quite a few things I would love to try. Next time around when extra dough is laying around! It would be easy to place a large order!

Stairs are my enemy. I can't use my left leg to step up on stairs so I have to do one step at a time with my right leg. Now, my right knee has a rachet sound. I would like to go to a new orthopedic surgeon to have my left leg looked at and to better understand the pain I have with movement. At this point I still don't want any surgery and just live with the pain. It's all day, everyday and more sharp depending on what I'm doing. Even as simple as slipping my foot into a shoe can be sharp pain. Nothing like having a constant reminder!!!! :bash:
HAHAHA...at least you are doing some kind of baking. I forgot that I actually baked bread the other day, sort of. I bought some par baked panini rolls at Trader Joe's and had to finish the baking.

My birds like the Chia Kale Crisps and the Mango Ginger Minis.

Sorry about your leg. When I am having pain issues it's very difficult getting up and down the stairs. I just do the best I can. Is there anything you can take to alleviate the pain? Are there exercises you can do...physical therapy?

@Danita How would you recommend storing the Nutriberries? More than 1/3rd of the first bag of Sr. Nutriberries I purchased were crumbs so that had to do with how it was stored where it came from, a manufacturing issue or what happened during shipping. The Nutriberries in the bag I am using now are starting to become very crumby. Maybe they just fall apart over time?

Cody tosses the Sr. Nutriberries, too. I've tried a few times and I find them on the bottom of the cage untouched or on the floor because she has thrown them out of the cage.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
HAHAHA...at least you are doing some kind of baking. I forgot that I actually baked bread the other day, sort of. I bought some par baked panini rolls at Trader Joe's and had to finish the baking.

My birds like the Chia Kale Crisps and the Mango Ginger Minis.

Sorry about your leg. When I am having pain issues it's very difficult getting up and down the stairs. I just do the best I can. Is there anything you can take to alleviate the pain? Are there exercises you can do...physical therapy?

@Danita How would you recommend storing the Nutriberries? More than 1/3rd of the first bag of Sr. Nutriberries I purchased were crumbs so that had to do with how it was stored where it came from, a manufacturing issue or what happened during shipping. The Nutriberries in the bag I am using now are starting to become very crumby. Maybe they just fall apart over time?

Cody tosses the Sr. Nutriberries, too. I've tried a few times and I find them on the bottom of the cage untouched or on the floor because she has thrown them out of the cage.
Whoa!!!!! You baked?!!! :wideyed: You sound like me heating things up so they taste bakery fresh. Browning does count as baking in my book. Actually, since we were talking about the baking ( or I was, I think) ... I had bought some bananas and my hubby decided to have one and I told him they were at the point I won't eat them. Just a few speckles, but I like mine a tad green so they aren't too... banana-ie. Sooo...I got a wild hair and decided to try making some goodie balls baked. I ground some almond slices with pecans in my mini processor, added some Bob's Red mill instant oatmeal ( it's semi-fine) with thick rolled oats too, coconut flour, a mix of hemp hearts/chia/flax seed, and ceylon cinnamon ... mixed all the dry ingredients together with some ground up Caitec bites ( about 20 in the processor). Next, I peeled a large whole sweet potato... chopped it up and finely ground that in the processor, put it in a large bowl and microwaved for 14 minutes.... now, the problem. I covered the sweet potato with saran wrap. When I opened the microwave the saran wrap had melted to the bowl and wasn't any to be seen covering the potato. I trashed it knowing the plastic could be in the potato... darn it! Why didn't I remember the last time I did sweet potato with a plate to cover? Aaaarg! This project is on hold until tomorrow. I have another sweet potato and I'm planning on mashing two bananas to add to the mix. I'm also planning on adding organic coconut oil to the whole mix and then either rolling it into balls or in a flat pan to bake. It may or may not turn out... we'll see. Can you think of anything else I should do with this? Extra ingredients?

Thanks... regarding my leg. Have you seen the hardware the surgeon used to hold my femur together? It was a giant incision with a lot of staples. I just use advil for pain... sometimes too much. I talked to my oncologist about it and he said if I was overdoing it then it would show up in my lab work because they keep an eye on my liver values. I don't know what could be done. If it was suggested to take the screws and bone plate out I'd live with this as long as I could. I never, ever want to go through that again. I'm sorry you have pain issues too. Over the last eight years stairs just going in and out of the garage have taken it's toll. Thank goodness for the handrails to hold on to!

If Cody tosses the nutriberries could you crush them up and add them to a mash that she does like?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I don't think the senior ones are as fresh and soft as they aren't as popular. So they sit on the retailers shelves much longer, I know they do here. Ask for the date before they send it if you are fussy about that. Sometimes the bags get damaged too, so there is air in it and they get hard.

If they are soft, break them apart. Get a bit of air in the bag.
Put them in the fridge.
If you like them soft make sure they are loose from one another and always take the air out of the bag when you reseal.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the sweet potato. I generally cover "stuff" with paper plates or paper towels. I don't know what else you can do with that. Sounds like there is a lot in there. The only thing I can think of would be some unsweetened applesauce.

Didn't see the hardware but it sure sounds like a lot. When my poodle broke her leg the vet had to use screws, pins and wires. He showed me the radiograph and told me that it looked like an explosion in a pin factory. It's good that you aren't over using the advil. I use acetaminophen or Norco (hydrocodone with acetaminophen) but the pain has to be extreme. I really try hard not to take either of those.

Cody does not like mashes. She does like quinoa, though, so maybe I could make some quinoa and add the nutriberries into that. Don't have to crush them up. They are becoming crumbs.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think the senior ones are as fresh and soft as they aren't as popular. So they sit on the retailers shelves much longer, I know they do here. Ask for the date before they send it if you are fussy about that. Sometimes the bags get damaged too, so there is air in it and they get hard.

If they are soft, break them apart. Get a bit of air in the bag.
Put them in the fridge.
If you like them soft make sure they are loose from one another and always take the air out of the bag when you reseal.

Thanks. The last bag I got came directly from Lafeber. Been keeping that in the refrigerator. Fewer crumbs in that bag than the one I got from mybirdstore.com.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes :)
I feed nutriberries too! :lol:
I visited yesterday for the first time and love quite a few of the mixes you soak and serve. I've just spent a bunch but I will definitely make Avian Organics next on my bird grocery list!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sorry about the sweet potato. I generally cover "stuff" with paper plates or paper towels. I don't know what else you can do with that. Sounds like there is a lot in there. The only thing I can think of would be some unsweetened applesauce.

Didn't see the hardware but it sure sounds like a lot. When my poodle broke her leg the vet had to use screws, pins and wires. He showed me the radiograph and told me that it looked like an explosion in a pin factory. It's good that you aren't over using the advil. I use acetaminophen or Norco (hydrocodone with acetaminophen) but the pain has to be extreme. I really try hard not to take either of those.

Cody does not like mashes. She does like quinoa, though, so maybe I could make some quinoa and add the nutriberries into that. Don't have to crush them up. They are becoming crumbs.
I did forget to mention I'm going add some cooked quinoa. I think the cooked sweet potato and mashed banana should be enough to hold the mix together before baking. At least I hope so... will do that later and let you know how it turns out.

It's a shame Cody doesn't like mashes. It would be a great way to use up those crumbs if you can mix them in something. The other favorite of Henry's and Lola is the cooked and mashed sweet potato, butternut squash, and carrot flavored with ceylon cinnamon. Once it's all cooked and mashed I put it in zip lock bags, press flat and freeze. I do have to smack the frozen bag to break pieces off to thaw. I put a little less than a teaspoon to the side in their evening cup and alternate it with the spicy mix so they don't get bored. A bit of apple might be nice for this other cooking project, I'll have to see how wet the mix is when everything is together in the bowl. I might make balls and roll them in sesame seed or like I mentioned a flat pan.

For me, just standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes can make my leg pretty stiff at the knee. Some day, maybe I'll go over to Planet Fitness and ask if I can experiment with one of their stationary bikes. It's doubtful it will help but I will have to try. It's very painful to lift my leg up getting in the car so I usually use my left hand to help lift my leg up. Is Norco a prescription drug? I've never heard of it. I'm sorry your poodle broke her leg. I hope it's good as new now!

This... is my nemesis... 14 inches of steel, 13 screws.

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00003.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That really is a lot of hardware. Steel rod and all those screws. My poodle did well with her hardware until she had a luxation and then we went back to the same vet and he did some work on that and all was well again. I no longer have her. She passed away when she was 15 in 2004. The birds and I adored her and she was 100% trustworthy with the birds.

Too bad that you continue to deal with pain. Norco is a controlled medication. My previous doctor prescribed it for my pain but my current one doesn't want to do that. I never had any issues with becoming addicted to it. I don't know if the Dr. is fearful that this is a possibility. I had an Rx of 20 Norco that recently expired and when I looked inside there were 19 left. Had those pills for more than a year. I only used that when I was in extreme pain and even then I would try to put it off as much as possible and try other things first such as Reiki, sleep, etc.

Seems like only Casey likes mashes. He was the only bird who ate the WD Broccoli Meadows Mash. Cody tosses stuff she doesn't like to the bottom of the cage or she works on throwing it out between the cage bars. I think she has eaten something and then I find the stuff on the floor. It's great that your birds like the mashes. I've tried many different brands but they just don't seem to care for them. Maybe it's the texture/consistency. I don't know.