• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ladders work great

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have to say that while platform perches are hard to find and may not be ideal for some of our special feathered friends, while going through this leg amputation with Squeakers I have found that these wooden ladders have been working wonders. At first I had them right on the bottom of the aquarium to give her something stable to get around on, then for some out of cage time on the ground it was a good transition to get Squeakers used to perching on one leg, and now I have a larger one set up in this little cage she is now moved into from the aquarium. I highly recommend horizontal ladders to anyone who is dealing with any kind of foot or leg injury with their bird and I am glad I figured this out as it has been so helpful for Squeakers!!

Here she is in her new cage set up - the new ladder is big enough for her water dish to sit there and she loves to hop in for a bath. :) I placed the other regular perch by the door opening so that she will hopefully learn to hop/fly over to the regular perch, landing with just one foot.

DSC_4736.JPG

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
You can make your own platform perches. Hobby Lobby and Michaels sell bass wood rounds. If you know someone with a table saw, have them cut it in half, drill in the hanger bolts and then you can make as many platforms as that little sweetie's heart desires!

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Newbie GCC. Good idea, but the great thing about ladders is they are comfortable for birds with long tail feathers and most importantly, the bird's poop is dropped out of their way between the rungs. :)

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That is a good reminder about using wooden ladders for such birds.
I am setting up a cage for a lovebird with severely splayed legs and had several platform perches in mind but forgot about ladders, so thank you :)

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thanks Newbie GCC. Good idea, but the great thing about ladders is they are comfortable for birds with long tail feathers and most importantly, the bird's poop is dropped out of their way between the rungs. :)
Those are good benefits! Whatever makes her cute little heart happy and comfortable!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What a fabulous idea. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
The ladder guy will be up at TASC in December. His ladders are very reasonable and nice.....various sizes.

Think their company name is Terd Bird Toyz but don't look for a website. He doesn't have one.

I really like his stuff. Bought a small one for Secret at our fair.