• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lackluster plumage

Kay Bar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Krystin
Hello everyone, hope you are well, we just adopted Oscar the mealy amazon and I'm thinking he needs some diet help, he looks dingy and a little tattered. We will be taking him to an avian vet for a check up as well, but I thought I'd ask since he just came home this morning. Thank you for any info, this is our first amazon and I've already gotten a lot of questions answered reading threads. 1498431698548865164384.jpg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Mine started that way. I give them misting showers now once a week.....changed diet to pellets and fresh food.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
red palm oil helps a lot.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
sunshine

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
All of the above and LOTS OF LOVE!!!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is a great supplement called Featheriffic sold on Amazon.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sunshine, good diet, and baths :)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well firstly, I believe he's a mealy amazon. They are known for having a rolled in meal "flour" look to them. Some orange wings also have that look. So, that slightly dusty look on his back and wings might just be normal for him. I kind of like that look myself. That said, amazons are notorious for having vitamin A deficiencies. I'd get him going on some pellets as a main diet with seed as a minor supplement. Alternately, you can do a sprouted seed based diet, but you'll have to do some research before you can do that safely. My first amazon had a Vit. A deficiency when I got her. I started out introducing pellets and cooked sweet potato. Over the course of 2 weeks, I drastically reduced the amount of seed in her diet and increased the sprouts, pellets and orange and green veggies. It was a night and day difference in the bird. Diet made a bigger difference in feather quality and color than multiple baths did. Amazons simply need vegetables and fresh food to be a significant portion of their diet. Pellets are better than seed, but nothing replaces fresh food. I'd shoot for fresh being at least 25% of the diet if not more. Mine get about 50% pellets and the remainder in about equal parts sprouted seeds and fresh or cooked veggies. At the moment, they are getting hardly any dry seed.

Kay Bar

Real Name
Krystin
He was on a mostly seed diet, he loves the zupreem that I gave him, so far we're not too hot on fresh, hopefully when he gets to know and trust us more he'll accept some different food. I hadn't read that about mealys feathers being dusty, good to know, he is a handsome boy with a wonderful soft expression, very polite about warning without a bite and really likes attention. He was also very talkative at his previous home, he hasn't said much here, but that's not surprising, I think he's settling in well today. We are definitely enamored with this fellow!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure they are dusty so much as they look dusty. All parrots are dusty but amazons aren't as bad as some. Some mealies just have a grayish tint to their back feathers. If he's been on mostly seed, then he probably does have a vit A deficiency and might be in the early stages of fatty liver disease. I'd shoot for keeping him on a low fat, low oil diet with pellets as a base and as much fresh as you can get him to eat. Consider a blood chemistry at his vet check.

Kay Bar

Real Name
Krystin
That's what I was thinking, he's about 11, so probably a good time for a good check up and panel anyway. He seems to be getting happier by the hour, he's getting more animated and talkative. I don't know how many homes he's been through previously, but he has his furfeather home now ❤❤❤

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Mealy also has a more drab appearance. Not a lot of shine on Mealy's, they have a more subdued color than other birds.

Lots of bathing and a good diet will keep him looking great, but you may never see that iridescent glow some parrots have.

Kay Bar

Real Name
Krystin
Whatever color he is is fine as long as he's healthy :D