• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

kudos to walmart!!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Okay, so I went to walmart yesterday and saw this in the bird section. First time I've ever seen it. All they usually sell is seed and a few toys. Now they have pellets, several different perches and a okay selection of larger sized toys!! This bag was 17 dollars and is shaped slightly different than zupreem. But, I did pick the bag up and smell it and it honestly smelled exactly like fruity zupreem.(I could smell it through the packaging) I know colored pellets aren't the best but in my opinion colored is better than none haha. So, kudos to walmart for having better options! I know it's clearly not the best, but seeing as how they've only and always carried nothing but seed, I'd say this is good news!!

Attachments

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Baby steps! Glad they are improving! A Dutch pet store chain had me shocked a few months back too. They usually have dowels, a basic natural perch and Some toys that never reallt get used. Then one day as I was getting duck food I walked right up to a boing and Some natural toys!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yes, the pellets were added to their "mod" about six months ago.

My brother and I were at our local wallyworld and went by the pet department...there was the small box marked "small bird cage"...ideal for any small bird.

12x10x15... inches...:sad1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Forti-Diet is by Kaytee. I am glad they are adding that to more stores though, as I know mine is just seed mixes still!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They are getting there, Just as TikiMyn said, Baby steps!
Unfortunately, I saw how walleyworld worked...as I was with them for 5 and a half LONG years. They are not swayed by ANYTHING else than the all mighty dollar...when a computer in corporate headquarters says something is going to make 2 cents more, they do it.

Sorry ...seeing a cage I wouldn't even put a pair of finches in being sold...right next to the pellets, I get a bit mad...and I'll get off my soap box now...

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Mine sells crap. Orange scented seed mixes meant for all small birds, bags of peanuts and sunflowers for parrots. Dinky plastic toys and useless larger bird toys made from materials that aren't very safe or appealing to birds (like a bunch of straws tied together with twine.)

I sometimes get millet there though only if I am in a pinch because it's a low quality product and is probably not fresh. They recently started selling coffee perches that screw onto the cage and I do like those.

Parchmento

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alyssa
Walmart is certainly not the best for bird stuff, but I have found a really cheap toy there which Sunny likes a lot! It’s bird safe and is made of many different materials for him to destroy, so it’s a win to me!

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Yes, the pellets were added to their "mod" about six months ago.

My brother and I were at our local wallyworld and went by the pet department...there was the small box marked "small bird cage"...ideal for any small bird.

12x10x15... inches...:sad1:
I use something that size for vet visits...... and you all know I have littles.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I use something that size for vet visits...... and you all know I have littles.
There is no doubt that that size is quite acceptable for circumstances like vet visits.

I'm not here to trash walleyword in general...I shop there at least 5 times a week...I even have a small amount of stock of the company...a leftover from the time I worked there.

I just saying the choice to sell...or not to sell something is largely based on the all mighty buck...and is decided on by computers, not by people. As soon as the bags of pellets are deemed NOT to be the most profit-making use of the shelf space...THEY WILL BE GONE...

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
My walmarts added them a little over a year ago. It is a big improvement considering there are many areas where there are no chain pet stores or even any pet stores. Most places have a walmart.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I saw those pellets a few months back @ the dot.com Walmart! Online though, they still say out of stock, not sure why. Needless to say I've got my eye on them still, because I was going to buy a bag and compare the contents to the Zupreem fruity that Fergus and Fiona are on now.

I can't imagine seeing them in the store (shocker?) and @TikiMyn you made me laugh hard with your description of 'walking right up to a boing' at the store which usually only had junk toys! I'd be the same way - pleasantly surprised. As Bob said above, supply, demand, and inventory are all profit driven, and in my opinion, is that way at any retail establishment I have encountered.

So... @Gen120 Victoria, if you try this product I'd love to hear how your Fids like it!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I can't imagine seeing them in the store (shocker?)
It is a bit jarring to see...especially because the bags are sitting right next to all the other crap food they sell.

Unfortunately, my guess is that it will be gone from the shelves in 6 months...the price point is too high when compared with the crap seed right next to it...but you never know...maybe there is a little miracle floating around...