• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Koyal might have a crop infection.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
My cockatiel keeps clearing her throat which I know is normal for birds but she never does it. The only does it after she's done preening but today, she's been clearing her crop since the morning. Also, my sister gave her water and she had atleast 10 sips. After awhile, koyal looked like she was choking but wasn't. I think water went inside her nose and she kept making a weird nose, like when bird's get water in their nose. She was like this for an hour but then stopped. An hour passed by, I was checking on her and saw alot of clear liquid coming out of her mouth. She was looking at the ceiling while keeping her mouth open. I freaked out and immidieately told my sister. Luckily, we had a our vet's emergency number so we called her and she said that it could be a number of things. But looking at her symptoms, she might have a sinus infection. But I did some reasearch and found that it could be a crop or yeast infection. About two weeks ago, we took her to the vet because she drank alot of water(she's been drinking water on and off, sometimes it goes away). So the vet prescribed baytril for 10 days. So we gave her the antibiotics for 10 days and it's been about 4-5 days since her last dose. My guess is that the crop infection developed because of the antibiotics. One thing that surprised us is that her poop looks normal TODAY even though she had 10-12 sips of water. Her poop is always runny, where did all the water she drank go! She seems a little better now but she's keeps clearing her crop. We are taking her to the vet tomorrow. I hope she gets better. I know we can't do anything right now but I need reassurance that's gonna be okay because it breaks my heart to see her like that. My sister's friend who was really nice, gave us some pumpkin seeds, pecan butter, and some raw honey. It was really of her to do that and she's giving us a ride to the vet tomorrow (AGAIN!). But I'm wondering if we should give her all that or just feed her pellets and some seads. We gave her some cilantro because she loves it!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry your little one doesn't seem to be doing too well.:( I hope everything goes well at the vets tomorrow. It's so nice you have the support of your friend who is driving you. I would probably just feed her a regular diet of seeds, pellets, veggies and sprouts so she gets as much nourishment as possible. You can also make sure she is kept warm, quiet, and gets a good night of sleep. Covering part of her cage might keep her relaxed. Please keep us updated!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
With gastric yeast there is usually lots of vomiting and head shaking. Hope you can get to the vet to get crop swabs and also testing the droppings for yeast. It is usually treated with Amphotericin B via syringe. Apple cider vinegar in the water may help to acidify the fungi. 2 tsp. per quart and it must be the ACV with mother or unfiltered.
I lost a precious budgie to this monster. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
With gastric yeast there is usually lots of vomiting and head shaking. Hope you can get to the vet to get crop swabs and also testing the droppings for yeast. It is usually treated with Amphotericin B via syringe. Apple cider vinegar in the water may help to acidify the fungi. 2 tsp. per quart and it must be the ACV with mother or unfiltered.
I lost a precious budgie to this monster. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated.
How long did it take you to find out that your Budgie had a gastric yeast? I'm taking her tomorrow but I'm worried something might happen to her at night. I have Bragg's ACV with the mother. The thing is, if we give her water, she will just throw it up. I'm not sure if is vomit, it think it might beregurgitation. Alot of clear liquid was coming out because she had water.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Then I would just wait and not risk aspiration into her lungs. My avian vet saw the yeast cells in the swab in the office but they still sent the swabs out to a lab for further diagnostics.

Common Causes of Vomiting and Regurgitation in Birds
Okay, I would probably have to hold up upside down. I have a fear of choking on vomit because it has happened to me before. I'm so sorry for you loss :( I wish the vet could have treated your budgie right away.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope your tiel is ok. If your vet prescribes antibiotics again you might want to ask about also giving probiotics.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
I hope your tiel is ok. If your vet prescribes antibiotics again you might want to ask about also giving probiotics.
THanks Sunnysmom, I don't think the vet will give her antibiotics tomorrow, or atleast I wouldn't let until we know her diagnosis. But yes, if in the future she needs antibiotics I will make sure I give her probiotics. We actually had a whole bottle of benebac from last year but had to throw it away because it expired.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
BTW, stay away from the raw honey. Raw honey can be contaminated with spores from botulism, other bactiera, and aspergillis (a type of yeast). The sugar concentration in honey is too high for these microorganisms to reproduce, but once the sugar is diluted (by, for example, eating the honey), the bacteria, mold, and yeast are free to go wild. That's why doctors don't want infants to be given raw honey. Birds, the same.

Sorry, I got my training in a yeast lab, and worked in nutrition research with yeast and bacteria strains. Many food-based treatments are very effective, but raw honey is just bad news in anyone other than an adult human.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Thank you for the advice. I wasnt going to giver her raw honey anyway because it seemed a little odd. My sister's friend used to feed her Charile some honey. I believe he's an african grey.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Well, we're gonna have to take Koyal to the local vet because my sister can't get a hold of her friend. She suffers from MS so maybe she's not feeling well. Luckily, the local vet told us to come in today and she's do a swab test on her.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Wish you luck!

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Feel better little tiel!!!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck at the vets:)

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
So the vet did a swab on her and listened to her lung. She only found bacteria, no yeast. But she did say that her lungs or the air sacs making a weird sound. So she prescribed antibiotic but it's not baytril. This type of antibiotic treats respiratory problems. I asked her if she might've aspirated the water andaybe it went inside her lungs. She also felt her keel bone but seemed normal.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad she got to see the vet and hope she feels better soon. I would also think about following up with probiotics.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you got her to the vet and hope she will be better soon.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for the update. I hope the antibiotics work and she gets all better soon!

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
The thing with birds is that they're good at hiding illnesses so it's very hard to tell if they're okay or not. I really hope nothing is wrong with her lungs. I hate having to give her antibiotics again. Why didn't the baytril get rid of the lung infection if she had one?! Did the sound her vet head from her lungs waa due to her flying up to the ceiling and maybe you could hear it in her system? I'm looking at so many possibilities but it's hard to figure out what's going on with her. About her water drinking problem, the vet thinks that it could be seasonal or hormonal because she does it in and off and she maybe looking for a mate. Oh and we checked her urine wirh a dipstick today and it showed 500 mg. Since we got dipsticls, we've been checking her glucose level every other day.