• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kookaburra

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachorama

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rachel
Very cute, I just love his fuzzy little head. Those are very lovely photos, such nice quality - it looks like something out of a magazine. My dad feeds the local kookaburras mince and lamb roast sometimes. They've become quite tame. I initially told him not to do it too much as I know can be quite bad but he is old and sick and doesn't have much else that makes him happy now days. My daughter painted him a picture of the two kookaburras that visit him and he hung it up in the dinning room. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks guys!

That was lovely of your daughter Rachel, they can be a friendly little bird if they keep coming back and you feed them. :) I rehab wild birds but haven’t gotten a Kookaburra yet, if/when I do, I have to somehow have to get the guts enough to feed baby mice and rats :gag: as well as meal worms and crickets.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Hi Renae I did wildlife rescue in Cooktown (far North Queensland) for a long time and the first carer's workshop and training session a kookaburra clamped down on my thumb and wouldn't let go! It was one of the most embarrassing minute of my life. :hehe:But the vet who was training us was lovely and rescued my poor thumb. It took me a while to be able to feed the kookaburras and the tawny frogmouths live food but it did get easier . I hope you are lucky enough to get one soon.:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:eek: Yikes, glad your thumb was okay! I was going to look after Tawny Frogmouth, only someone got him before me (just)… was only a baby too. I hope to eventually get to look after both a Kookaburra, and a Tawny Frogmouth. I had 4 Eastern Rosella babies recently, they are so darn cute!! It was amazing seeing the 4 of them be released though.

Status
Not open for further replies.