• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kitty had her Kittens.. (HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
BUT we don't know where they are/where she's had them. :(

I've been under our house at least 10 times now, and I can't see any Kittens, I've looked in all hiding spots (warm places) where she could have had them but can't see anything! She's been hanging around here a lot, and we're really worried she's had them and abandoned them.

We have tried following her, but she just won't leave this house, unless we're no where in sight, we tried to hide inside and as she went, followed her but she bolts to where ever she's going and she goes in different directions every time so we don't know what to do.

I've checked next door which is a vacant block of land, and on the other side is also a vacant block of land but there isn't any sight of the Kittens on either side. I've also checked all holes in the bushes, and there's one huge hole, but looks to be more of a fox's hole.

I hope to god they are okay - I told my mum we should've brought her inside, but nope, she said no. :rolleyes: We did have a basket and blanket set up on our balcony AND in the laundry (which is outside but attached to the house) but she never used either of them. Right now she's sitting outside, I am going to see if I can follow her, but if she knows I'm there, she's not going to go anywhere.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I could do?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: I hope you find them! :hug8:

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
oh hun thats awful :(
I dont have any suggestions other than what you have already done :(

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's okay, I'm open to any suggestions - thanks guys. :hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I hope you find them :hug8:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would leave her alone for a day or two. She knows where her kittens are, and she doesn't want you to. So long as you're following her, she's not going to go feed them and keep them warm. It's perfectly normal for a mother cat to leave to hunt right after birth. Having and feeding babies take a lot of energy and she knows she's got to find food. In a couple of days, try following her again. The babies will probably have gotten into their voices by then and you might be able to hear them since she's likely stashed them somewhere you'll never see right off. Just make sure that you've got lots of food out for her. She might even bring them to you in a couple of days- it's not unusual for queens (mother cats) to switch dens in the first week after birth.

And, if she has abandoned them, they're as good as dead. Not trying to be harsh, but you cannot force mom cats to take care of babies they don't want, and kittens do very poorly if the mom wont take care of them for at least the first week or two.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, she had them..she knows where theya re and obviously doesnt want you to find them....I do know if the kittens are defective, that mothers will sometimes eat them..so I trust it isnt that...I wish you the best and hope they are ok

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
She probably put them somewhere safe and just doesn't want anyone touching them until they are old enough. It may be several weeks before you see them. I agree, just leave her alone and you will most likely see them soon.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
What she is doing is normal even if it is worrying you to death. All that you can do is keep the baskets and blankets where they are and she may bring them home. the best thing that you can do for her right now is to make sure that she has easy access to good food and water, feeding babies is hard work! Good luck! :)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks so much everyone!

I told mum yesterday that when they're older she may bring them over here.. so I'm just going to let her go and do what she has to do and continue to just feed her and etc. :)

We think she may have had them next door (seen her go over that way last night), we knocked on their door but no answer, if she's had them over there it's fine because they have it all blocked off under the house where it's warm and there's no other cats there, nor dogs, so it's really safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.