• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

kitten has a cyst on his butt and it popped :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I was doing my daily inspections on the kittens. I noticed the first born black kitten had a weird looking white thing on its butt. i went to wipe it off and the thing POPPED!!!! i am pretty sure it was a cyst. i wiped off the pus with the closest thing i could grab. more pus, then blood gushed out. it smelled weird and well, i almost puked. i didnt really notice any bump before, but the kitten seems to be relieved. he's so cuddly right now. he still has a weird looking white piece hanging out, which i assume is the core. should i take this out or should kitty go to the vet? he is little over a week old. idk what to do!

heres the thing on his but and the stuff that came out.

View attachment 94978
View attachment 94979

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Im having trouble veiwing the photos, but I wonder.....do you know what Anal Glands are? Often time, people assume the pressence of blood and a fould odor near the rear is a wound or cist, when in fact it turns out to be an Anal Gland Abcess. Anal Glands are located on either side of the anus, and are often decorated with swirls od hair in that area.....Granted, I have never seen it in newborns, but it is common in animals for this to abcess, regardless of age and is usually caused by the inability for the animal to drain the glads on thier own when they go poop (often due to diet issues like high fibre/protien food, or constapation due to dehydration, etc).....once again, I cant imagine it being that on a newborn, but its something to consider. If it were an anal glad abcess, we always flush it with sterile water and Baxitin, and leave it open to ooze, and for the animal to clean it, which will promote healing......Whatever it was, it could be a sign of something more serious or abnormal in the development of the kittens anatomy, so I would for sure mention it to a vet. It could be nothing too....but I would get it looked at, something so young cannot handle a strain on its immune system.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would take him to the vet. Poor kitty..hope he is ok.:(

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
i would at least call a vet and tell him he might just tell u to keep it clean maybe with peroxide or i bet hes going to say bring it in the office .....

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
on hold

they want me to take him in today, but its at 3:30 today, so its impossible. hubby dont get out of work until 3 and its a half hour here and half hour to the vet. :(. will be taking him in on monday. what should i do for him in the meantime? just clean him?

Last edited:

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I'd just let the vet know you'll be there at 4:00. You may have to wait to be worked in, but I wouldn't be comfortable waiting all weekend. Or, you may end up at en emergency vet over the weekend- more expense with someone you don't know.

Good luck!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
i live in the city. its one of the few vets worth going to. its pretty busy there. telling the vet i will be in at 4 will get me nowhere... i can do it at my doc, but not at the vet. and they close a little after 4.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Well based on the photo, it does appear to be in the right place to be an Anal Gland Abcess....I just dont know if they can occur in a newborn. Its usually diet based......was mom on a kitten food during pregnancy? Is she still now that she is nursing?
Do you not have an emergency vet around you at all? The fact is, if it is an Anal Gland Abcess, it is EXTREMELY painful. If you wait all weekend he could be rather uncomfortable. But all they will do upon inspecting it is clean it, and prescribe anti-biotics. It must remian open, and not covered. Show mom, so she can keep it clean. You should flush it with luke warm water after having boiled it sterile. Do not use peroxide. If you have Baxitin, use that.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
ok. i will. mom is cleaning it regularly. i hadda check both black kittens, cuz i almost didnt know who had it. lol. he seems very happy. he's trying to walk around like the other kitties. i understand its painful. i had an abcess on the bottom of my tailbone. i was misreable for a while, until it was popped. it doesn't seem to be bothering him much tho. also, i didnt know abcesses had white heads to them... i will go get that baxitin today if my local store carries it. is it safe if chloe licks it?

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Its not meant to be ingested at all, so flush the area with the Baxitin, then with warm water, then pat dry. That should work fine. I hope he's oaky.

Agreed, anal gland abcesses dont usually have white heads, but I thought maybe since he was new, and tiny and his hair wasnt too thick, you could just see the skin swelling under the pressure of the abcess.......it could just be a pimple too, I dunno for sure. Either way the cleaning regimine is a great idea to control infection.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Kitten is doing great. He had an ingrown hair. He is recovering well and cannot tell he ever had it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.