• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Kita laid a Soft Flaky Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The egg is solid, it did not break, but if i put much pressure on it I am sure it would, the shell is just flaking off....she is acting like her usual self.... she is nesty and looking for cubbie holes but is not in any distress.... what do I need to do?????

It has been about 6 or 7 days since her last egg and she has been acting pretty much like herself. I have added lots of calcium rich foods to her diet over the past week or so, she never had any distress. I would guess she laid the egg between 9 am and 2pm.
I just noticed the egg when I was putting her to bed for the night.

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Hi Dianne -

From what I've read, you should allow her to nest the egg for a few days to a week and let her get that out of her system and then remove the egg. Typical clutches are 2-3 eggs.........but if she was ok with you removing the first egg w/o a fuss, then you should continue to do that again.

Good to hear you're supplementing her calcium, etc. Great job!!!

~Ann~

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:eek: No more egg laying Kita!:hug8:
No kidding... I can't take this and as soon as I start to feel comfortable with it she does something weird......

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am really worried that the egg is funky... soft and flaky.... what if there are pieces of the shell that didn't come out.... when you touch the egg the shell just flakes off on your fingers....... I have never seen anything like it......

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
The egg is solid, it did not break, but if i put much pressure on it I am sure it would, the shell is just flaking off....she is acting like her usual self.... she is nesty and looking for cubbie holes but is not in any distress.... what do I need to do?????

It has been about 6 or 7 days since her last egg and she has been acting pretty much like herself. I have added lots of calcium rich foods to her diet over the past week or so, she never had any distress. I would guess she laid the egg between 9 am and 2pm.
I just noticed the egg when I was putting her to bed for the night.
Are you taking the eggs away?....if you feel this egg would break under her pressure of the body, I would remove it..... by just starting the calcium foods in the last couple of weeks...it will take longer for her to develope a harder shell..... Egg Binding in Birds Not saying she is "egg binding" but the article has some good information in it.... try keeping her out of those dark areas if possible...and let her also keep the eggs and go through the whole routine (25 days or so) of setting on them IF she wants too...Keep us posted

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Take that egg to your vet ASAP before she decides to lay another one and have them examine it. If she is deficient, which is what is sounds like to me, rich foods or not, They can give her a direct injection of pure calcium to hopefully avoid laying another soft egg.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Are you taking the eggs away?....if you feel this egg would break under her pressure of the body, I would remove it..... by just starting the calcium foods in the last couple of weeks...it will take longer for her to develope a harder shell..... Egg Binding in Birds Not saying she is "egg binding" but the article has some good information in it.... try keeping her out of those dark areas if possible...and let her also keep the eggs and go through the whole routine (25 days or so) of setting on them IF she wants too...Keep us posted
Thank you!!!! I am leaving her eggs with her but she has no interest in them at all..... she did lay several eggs during the winter which worried me and then none until May 7 and this is the 3rd since then....the other 2 eggs were perfect but this one..... not at all.............Ok... off to read your link.... thanks again.....

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Oxalic Acid

Several foods, though excellent sources of nutrition, are also high in oxalic acid. If fed frequently, oxalic acid can cause health problems.
When you feed a food high in oxalic acid and balance it with foods low in oxalic acid, it becomes less of a concern. Regardless, foods high in oxalic acid should not be fed on a daily basis.
Although oxalic acid binds to calcium (producing calcium oxalate crystals), and making calcium unavailable for absorption, many vegetables that contain oxalic acid also contain calcium. The amount of oxalic acid is what determines how much calcium is bound. So if there is more calcium than oxalic acid present, the calcium that has not been bound will be available for use by the body.
To the right is a table with the oxalic acid content of some vegetables.
Taken from:HolisticBird and HolisticBirds Read WHOLE article!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Take that egg to your vet ASAP before she decides to lay another one and have them examine it. If she is deficient, which is what is sounds like to me, rich foods or not, They can give her a direct injection of pure calcium to hopefully avoid laying another soft egg.
Thank you... I tried to call just to see if my AV is on call but she is not, I will call her 1st thing in the morning.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It sounds like the egg was soft-shelled. If the calcium was coming away from the membrane there is risk of this sticking to the uterus, and when the next egg comes down the oviduct it will break and impact on top of the previous egg. Other risks of soft-shelled eggs are prolapsed uterus or oviduct.

Here is a thread I have on another forum. it is very lengthly but has alot of info that may be helpful to you: Lack of calcium (Importance of Calcium) - Talk Cockatiels Forums

Also what typew of lighting do you have? When a hen has problems with eggs access to sunlight or FSL (full spectrum lighting) is very benefical.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It sounds like the egg was soft-shelled. If the calcium was coming away from the membrane there is risk of this sticking to the uterus, and when the next egg comes down the oviduct it will break and impact on top of the previous egg. Other risks of soft-shelled eggs are prolapsed uterus or oviduct.

Here is a thread I have on another forum. it is very lengthly but has alot of info that may be helpful to you: Lack of calcium (Importance of Calcium) - Talk Cockatiels Forums

Also what typew of lighting do you have? When a hen has problems with eggs access to sunlight or FSL (full spectrum lighting) is very benefical.

I am so worried about her...
I have full spectrum lighting and with the nice weather she has been out for 3-6 hours about 3 days a week for the past several weeks....

I printed out your link so I can read it in bed tonight.....

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I also think you should get false eggs..you can buy them on line at birdsupplynh.com...and if the eggs are soft shelled she needs more than just calcium rich foods..she needs an actual calcium supplement such as calci boost.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have calciboost, but it doesn't say how to give it straight.......

Could they get too much Calcium?

Please say a little prayer for Kita for God to watch over and protect his precious creature.

Thank you all for all the great links to information.... and advise and support.... you are all awesome!!!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, they can get too much calcium...I recommend the calci boost liquid formula you can put in their water...I would only give it two or three times a week....check on line and see if you can get the directions if you have the powdered kind..but I believe you just sprinkle it on their food.

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
My U2, Farfey, has done this. That bird has been egg bound several times, she had an egg open inside her, she just has a fit with eggs:eek:. We ended up doing the monthly hormone injections until my husband left the country for a year. Since he has been gone she has only had 2 incidents:). But anyway, when she had a softshell I took her to the Vets and they said it was from lack of Calcium. So, like some of the others have said, Calci boost.

*Edit to say, pull the egg. I did not and it got stuck to poor Farf's belly. She was upset enough and then that.*

Last edited:

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
I am thinking of Kita :heart: and hope that this is just a fluke thing - like sometimes when you have diarrhea...............:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Sorry to hear the news Dianne.

Let us know what the vet says.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thank everybody! I am still waiting for the AV to call back... will let you all know what she says....
You guys are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.