• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Kimi laid an egg, probably has more

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Her rump looks normal now, but still no egg... Was it all in my head? I'm very confused now.

Is it possible that she just stopped laying? She had 5 eggs in total, 2 of which broke. The last one was on the 11th. They're supposed to have at least 4 but I reduced the amount of daylight they get by a lot when she first started laying. Could that have impacted something?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If she never laid on them she might not have had any inclination to be a mom lol.

I wonder if the post egg butt was just her body going slowly back to normal?

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I saw her sitting on her first egg one time, but after that they were mostly getting kicked around the cage bottom.

That's possible. Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on her.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Kimi's still behaving normal and no egg-butt, but her poops are still weird. She also seems to be a bit constipated, Teri goes about 3 times before she does.
I'm going out later today and will be passing by the Vet's office, so I'll ask them what they think. Could be that she's still recovering, but I'd still like to ask just to be safe.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd probably ask too, just to be safe :)

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she actually straining to poop or just pooping less often? Because it's normal for a hormonal bird to hold their poop until they're away from the nest. I know she's not sitting on the eggs, but if they're still in the cage, her behavior may have changed as a result.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Vets say she's probably just recovering still, but to bring her to a check-up next week just to be sure. :)

Is she actually straining to poop or just pooping less often? Because it's normal for a hormonal bird to hold their poop until they're away from the nest. I know she's not sitting on the eggs, but if they're still in the cage, her behavior may have changed as a result.
Based on her pooping patterns from yesterday, this is probably it. She always went either in another room, or the absolute farthest corner of the cage she could find. And she doesn't seem to be straining.

What I'm more concerned about is the poops themselves, they are fragmented and the urine is almost yellow. There's a lot of it there too.
It could just be from holding it in so long, though. I went back to check on them after letting them out yesterday and the poops on the bottom were normal, but I have no way of knowing if any of them are Kimi's. I'll have to check more.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Egg poops do tend to be weird. But a checkup won't hurt anything and will probably help your peace of mind. :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Do not cook or boil the eggs, that makes them rot later. If you want to stop embryo development yet still preserve the egg for the future, just put the egg in a regular frost free refrigerator for three days. The frost free feature desiccates the egg and the cold kills the embryo. Since the egg is "freeze dried", it will never rot and can be given back to a nesting bird as a dummy later. I, too, have hens who can tell a fake egg from a real one and I have to use the old dried eggs to replace for the fertile eggs in the clutch of eggs they lay so I can control the population of my cockatiel flock. Otherwise, I would be inundated with babies.

I loved raising baby birds, but there are just too many homeless ones for me to raise more. I use the technique I outlined above to limit my flock size.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Do not cook or boil the eggs, that makes them rot later. If you want to stop embryo development yet still preserve the egg for the future, just put the egg in a regular frost free refrigerator for three days. The frost free feature desiccates the egg and the cold kills the embryo. Since the egg is "freeze dried", it will never rot and can be given back to a nesting bird as a dummy later. I, too, have hens who can tell a fake egg from a real one and I have to use the old dried eggs to replace for the fertile eggs in the clutch of eggs they lay so I can control the population of my cockatiel flock. Otherwise, I would be inundated with babies.

I loved raising baby birds, but there are just too many homeless ones for me to raise more. I use the technique I outlined above to limit my flock size.
Too late now. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into this to prepare for possible future nestings.

I would also love to let my birds be parents and/or help raise the chicks, but as you said there's enough captive birds in need already. :( There's nobody here who I could trust enough to keep them properly, and I most likely couldn't keep them myself.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The vet keeps trying to make appointments during my school hours. :arghh: It would already be hard enough to come with how busy it is right now, but this is just getting ridiculous. I wouldn't be able to miss school unless the bird was in critical condition, and even then there's a chance I wouldn't get excused for it.

Worst case scenario she will have to go in a few weeks when school goes out for the summer. That's about when the birds get their health check anyway so I guess it isn't too bad.

I notice weird poops from time to time but it's mostly gone back to normal by now, which is nice.
Also reduced the amount of pellets in their diet so Kimi doesn't go laying again(since they're a bit too fatty for my liking) and to monitor poops(because they stain poop, like a lot). They only get about a tablespoon a day between the both of them, with the rest being veggies usually.