• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kids not eating their vegetables

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
4A08D376-3EBE-49B2-8397-12EB335D3339.jpeg Hello! I had a question for you all.

Peaches and Lychee used to eat quite a lot of veg (Peaches loved broccoli, and Lychee couldn’t get enough carrots- Here is evidence!!). However, lately they only seem to go for their pellets.

I didn’t find this concerning, until I took Peaches to the vet yesterday and she said he was getting a bit overweight. She suggested I cut down on the millet treats, which I have. She also wants them to consume more veg.

How do you guys encourage your cockatiels to eat healthier?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If they have already eaten veggies in the past, then at least they recognize them as food. It seems that in your situation it’s about portions. If I were you I would feed them either enough pellets to last until about 4:00, and then serve veggies for dinner, or feed them veggies at breakfast and pellets later in the morning. This way they are hungry enough to eat the veggies. It’s much harder to get a bird to eat veggies who doesn’t like them or has never eaten them before.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
So I tried serving them veggies for breakfast today but they went on a bit of a hunger strike @_@ (Maybe one of the shorter ones in history) but they kind of moped and looked at me like I was the devil. Once it hit lunch time I gave in and as soon as I sanitized their dishes and put some pellets in they ran down and stuffed their faces. Ah, I dunno. Maybe I didn't give it long enough. I put fewer pellets in there for sure >< Hopefully later today they will be less stubborn about it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Or you can do fewer morning pellets and a veggie lunch. Or try mixing the veggies with the pellets. If you chop the veggies up super tiny they might stick to the pellets. Then the are forced to eat some. Start out with just a bit and slowly increase it.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
I'll try that, and cutting them small enough to stick to the pellets. Devious idea, just might work!!! :D thanks for all this advice you've given me, btw <3