• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Key West bird lady

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Aww, that article just makes the whole story sadder. @Clueless and @Macaw Lover - You can always visit the Key West Aquarium which has 3 African greys; one is a Congo named Zulu who only likes women (as Kirk, the maintenance engineer found out much to his chagrin when he tried to feed Zulu grapes & strawberries). The other two (in a separate cage) are smaller and looked as if they've been plucking a little. In the same "mango swamp" area on the other side of the "swamp" are housed two macaws who ended up @ the aquarium when their owner died.

There's a sulphur 'too named Gracie who lives at a hat shop on the portion of Duvall that leads to the southernmost point of the continental U.S.A. and towards the other end of Duvall, where all the restaurants/tourist traps are, there's a man with an extremely tame/well behaved macaw who will pose with tourists and can have photos taken (for a price note). The butterfly conservatory had finches, button quail and two very funny flamingos who seemed to be very interested when they heard whistling.

Ah well, the fids are watered & fed/bird room opened and shower & work beckon me now.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
One of these days I hope to make it down to Florida again. I want to do one of those swamp boat rides, go back a second time to Parrot Jungle or whatever the current name is and finally get to go down to the Keys and have some fun in the water.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Maybe we could plan something for next year. Hopefully I could afford to do it then.

In two weeks I am going up to Wisconsin with my daughter and granddaughter to see the park Sarah works at and her performing birds. Who would be interested in going there after schools are in, say in September but I know Sundays are less packed when Sarah could spend a little more time with us. @SandraK, @Merlie, @Jen, @Kayaker - who else? What about something like Sunday, September 15th??????

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@95talongirl We loved Key West also. Very nice people, all friendly and more than happy to chat with you. @ Macaw Lover I'm on for visiting Sarah again - the first time we went up there it was January so only the Dancing Horses and Bird Show were open. And being the critter person my hubby says I am, I'll be the one (as he says) who'll be sticking my hand into the cages and petting everything I can safely pet.

The one place I'd really like to go to the next time is Dry Tortugas National Park/Fort Jefferson - we'd looked into it but with 3 young children in the group under the age of 6 it wasn't really feasible. The cost was also $170 p/person though it's a full day trip and you get breakfast & lunch included as well as a tour and free snorkeling equipment - goes from 8 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Apparently you can also camp there but that would mean I'd never come back - I'd become a professional beachbum.

Dry Tortugas National Park | Dry Tortugas Ferry | Yankee Freedom

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
@95talongirl We loved Key West also. Very nice people, all friendly and more than happy to chat with you. @ Macaw Lover I'm on for visiting Sarah again - the first time we went up there it was January so only the Dancing Horses and Bird Show were open. And being the critter person my hubby says I am, I'll be the one (as he says) who'll be sticking my hand into the cages and petting everything I can safely pet.

The one place I'd really like to go to the next time is Dry Tortugas National Park/Fort Jefferson - we'd looked into it but with 3 young children in the group under the age of 6 it wasn't really feasible. The cost was also $170 p/person though it's a full day trip and you get breakfast & lunch included as well as a tour and free snorkeling equipment - goes from 8 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Apparently you can also camp there but that would mean I'd never come back - I'd become a professional beachbum.

Dry Tortugas National Park | Dry Tortugas Ferry | Yankee Freedom

That would be something neat to do and would love to do the snorkeling too.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
That looks fun, has anyone been there? Dry Tortugas.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Bump for those who may be interested

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So, what's up on the 15th?!?!?!? I just saw this! I'd love to get together with you guys. I can mention it to Merlie and Kayacker. Give me details! LOL!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So, what's up on the 15th?!?!?!? I just saw this! I'd love to get together with you guys. I can mention it to Merlie and Kayacker. Give me details! LOL!
Nothing's up, sorry for scaring/exciting you!

This is an OLD, OLD thread. I just revived in case someone didn't know about the parrot lady from Key West.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Nothing's up, sorry for scaring/exciting you!

This is an OLD, OLD thread. I just revived in case someone didn't know about the parrot lady from Key West.
Is she ok? :/

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Anyone know how she and the fids faired in Irma?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING