1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Key West bird lady

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by SandraK, 6/29/14.

1. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    Aww, that article just makes the whole story sadder. @Clueless and @Macaw Lover - You can always visit the Key West Aquarium which has 3 African greys; one is a Congo named Zulu who only likes women (as Kirk, the maintenance engineer found out much to his chagrin when he tried to feed Zulu grapes & strawberries). The other two (in a separate cage) are smaller and looked as if they've been plucking a little. In the same "mango swamp" area on the other side of the "swamp" are housed two macaws who ended up @ the aquarium when their owner died.

There's a sulphur 'too named Gracie who lives at a hat shop on the portion of Duvall that leads to the southernmost point of the continental U.S.A. and towards the other end of Duvall, where all the restaurants/tourist traps are, there's a man with an extremely tame/well behaved macaw who will pose with tourists and can have photos taken (for a price note). The butterfly conservatory had finches, button quail and two very funny flamingos who seemed to be very interested when they heard whistling.

Ah well, the fids are watered & fed/bird room opened and shower & work beckon me now.

Crazy4parrots, jmfleish and Clueless like this.
  2. Macaw Lover

Macaw Lover Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Renee'
    One of these days I hope to make it down to Florida again. I want to do one of those swamp boat rides, go back a second time to Parrot Jungle or whatever the current name is and finally get to go down to the Keys and have some fun in the water.

Crazy4parrots, jmfleish and SandraK like this.
  3. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    :highfive: I could see a group house rental somewhere in the near future ... :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

4. 95talongirl

95talongirl Jogging around the block

Marybeth kiczenski
    I like this idea! haha!

Loved Key West... would go back in a heartbeat!

Funny you mention the guy with the Macaw...

Attached Files:

Crazy4parrots and SandraK like this.
  5. Macaw Lover

Renee'
    Maybe we could plan something for next year. Hopefully I could afford to do it then.

In two weeks I am going up to Wisconsin with my daughter and granddaughter to see the park Sarah works at and her performing birds. Who would be interested in going there after schools are in, say in September but I know Sundays are less packed when Sarah could spend a little more time with us. @SandraK, @Merlie, @Jen, @Kayaker - who else? What about something like Sunday, September 15th??????

jmfleish, Clueless and SandraK like this.
  6. 95talongirl

95talongirl Jogging around the block

Marybeth kiczenski
    That sounds like fun! If we are free the weekend you guys pick, would be down for a trip!

Macaw Lover and SandraK like this.
  7. SandraK

Sandra
    @95talongirl We loved Key West also. Very nice people, all friendly and more than happy to chat with you. @ Macaw Lover I'm on for visiting Sarah again - the first time we went up there it was January so only the Dancing Horses and Bird Show were open. And being the critter person my hubby says I am, I'll be the one (as he says) who'll be sticking my hand into the cages and petting everything I can safely pet.

The one place I'd really like to go to the next time is Dry Tortugas National Park/Fort Jefferson - we'd looked into it but with 3 young children in the group under the age of 6 it wasn't really feasible. The cost was also $170 p/person though it's a full day trip and you get breakfast & lunch included as well as a tour and free snorkeling equipment - goes from 8 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. Apparently you can also camp there but that would mean I'd never come back - I'd become a professional beachbum.

Dry Tortugas National Park | Dry Tortugas Ferry | Yankee Freedom

Clueless and Macaw Lover like this.
  8. Macaw Lover

Renee'

That would be something neat to do and would love to do the snorkeling too.

SandraK likes this.
  9. lexalayne

lexalayne Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Alexa
    That looks fun, has anyone been there? Dry Tortugas.

10. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Bump for those who may be interested

11. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    So, what's up on the 15th?!?!?!? I just saw this! I'd love to get together with you guys. I can mention it to Merlie and Kayacker. Give me details! LOL!

12. Clueless

Clueless Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Nothing's up, sorry for scaring/exciting you!

This is an OLD, OLD thread. I just revived in case someone didn't know about the parrot lady from Key West.

jmfleish likes this.
  13. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen

Oops! I guess it is old! Shows you where my brain is! LOL!

SandraK, Clueless and Crazy4parrots like this.
  14. Crazy4parrots

Crazy4parrots Rollerblading along the road

María
    Is she ok? :/

15. FLmom

FLmom Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Linda
    Anyone know how she and the fids faired in Irma?

16. Clueless

There's a separate thread.....

Looks like she may be

17. Clueless

There's a separate thread, looks like she may be

18. Crazy4parrots

Crazy4parrots Rollerblading along the road

María
    Where is that thread?

19. WendyN

WendyN Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Wendy
    Clueless likes this.
  20. Clueless

WendyN likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)