• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Key West bird lady

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was more so thinking of using a crowdfunding website like crowdrise.
That would definitely be helpful, but it's really only a short term fix. I'm doubtful enough money can be raised to really improve this situation for the long term. She has a lot of big parrots, is elderly and probably has age related health issues. I've been volunteering with a local woman in a very similar situation (though her mind set is different, the situation is the same) and the hard truth is that the best long term fix is for her to decrease her flock size.

I don't think she needs to be birdless, but getting down to a more manageable number will allow her to breath and get back on her feet. Worrying everyday not only about the minutia of living (for herself & her birds), but also what will happen to them when she becomes unable to continue to care for them must be a weight beyond belief for her to carry.

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That would definitely be helpful, but it's really only a short term fix. I'm doubtful enough money can be raised to really improve this situation for the long term. She has a lot of big parrots, is elderly and probably has age related health issues. I've been volunteering with a local woman in a very similar situation (though her mind set is different, the situation is the same) and the hard truth is that the best long term fix is for her to decrease her flock size.

I don't think she needs to be birdless, but getting down to a more manageable number will allow her to breath and get back on her feet. Worrying everyday not only about the minutia of living (for herself & her birds), but also what will happen to them when she becomes unable to continue to care for them must be a weight beyond belief for her to carry.

That's true. I would hate to see anything bad happen to her or the birds, but I agree, she's only one person with so many birds. I hope that she'll be able to keep up the money long enough to be able to wait it out and find good homes for some of the flock.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd like to be included in this. There are people you meet who need or could use money and never, ever bring it up unless you talk about it. There are others who will drop hints right, left and center and quite boldly. Nancy Forrester never asked for anything at all during my visit. The entrance fee to her "Secret Garden" is $10/person and her place isn't exactly in the middle of a tourist attraction area so whatever traffic there is, is from people who want to see her place not people who have "come across it".

The fact that I was even asked if it was alright to use my check for a utility surprised me but I guess that is the type of person Nancy Forrester is. Maybe that's also why she'd like to talk to Macaw Lover more. Gut feeling: the impression is that all the help offered and given will be very much appreciated but there's a difference for her between the "fluff" things and the "absolutely necessary" things if that makes any sense? My other gut feeling: if you think one of her birds (e.g. the hy) could use something specific, send it to her. If nothing else, Nancy will know that there's a whole group of "crazy bird ladies" who've turned into "fairy birdmothers". :hehe:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
That's true. I would hate to see anything bad happen to her or the birds, but I agree, she's only one person with so many birds. I hope that she'll be able to keep up the money long enough to be able to wait it out and find good homes for some of the flock.
But you, and a whole lot of other AA parronts know, that finding the "good" home for anybirdy is tough. More so when you hold other people to your own parront standards and requirements. Everyone out there wants a "parrot" but many times they have no clue as to what "having a parrot" really involves.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
God has blessed me so perhaps I can find a way to help too.

I understand that Avian Avenue doesn't want to get involved (sad though) . . . . but if the lady's mailing address is posted here, perhaps money orders could be sent to her? The cheapest ones in the United States used to be obtained at the post office, not sure if that's true anymore. It would avoid anyone worrying about their banking information being taken.

For those who are not financially able to help her - but want to be a help - perhaps you could drop her a note and let her know that she is in your thoughts and prayers. She has to be feeling alone with the weight of the world (or macaws) on her shoulders. I'm from the old school and letters and notes are still a treat.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Sandra - I know what you are talking about regarding the 'fluff' as it could very well be a greater need in other areas and already having a supply of mac nuts to get her through till the next crop coming in for all I know, versus other bills or different nuts, etc so I can wait and see what else I might be able to help out with a little.

I had heard somewhere/sometime about there being parrots in the Keys but had no clue of the who, what, when, where why's so now I can say I know about this Secret Garden. Thank you for posting about your visit Sandra.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'

I understand that Avian Avenue doesn't want to get involved (sad though) . . . . but if the lady's mailing address is posted here, perhaps money orders could be sent to her? The cheapest ones in the United States used to be obtained at the post office, not sure if that's true anymore. It would avoid anyone worrying about their banking information being taken.

For those who are not financially able to help her - but want to be a help - perhaps you could drop her a note and let her know that she is in your thoughts and prayers. She has to be feeling alone with the weight of the world (or macaws) on her shoulders. I'm from the old school and letters and notes are still a treat.

If you go to post #10 in this thread you will see the FB link Marybeth posted and that lists all her info

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you go to post #10 in this thread you will see the FB link Marybeth posted and that lists all her info
Thanks, I'm a bit slow at times!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
here is the address listed from the web page i posted:
NANCY FORRESTER'S SECRET GARDEN
518 Elizabeth Street, Key West, Florida

there is no zip code on that post but i hope this will help anyone who wants to help her or just write her a letter.
:tiel2: and his mom
PS
here is another address from another of her web site:
Nancy Forrester’s Secret Garden,
One Free School Lane, (off the 500 block Simonton Street), Key West, Florida 33040

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
looks like the zip is 33040 - courtesy of the U.S. Post Office

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

I believe that the reason AA doesn't get involved in fundraising is that, if any fundraising went south, AA could face litigation. As a result, AA requires that fundraising be done off the board - it keeps us all safe and on AA. For those who would like to help but can't $ wise, I'd asked Nancy about bird toys. Nancy's answer: "That would be great, but they have to be new. Some people send me used toys that their birds didn't like and I can't use them. You know, the risk of infection between someone else's birds and
mine".

So if anyone has bird toy parts still in bags, I'm sure she can use them. Remember the senegal, YNA and hawkhead as they are the 3 smaller birds in the bunch. Everyone else is pretty much a macaw in size from smaller to bigger.

I have her vet's name & address and her card w/address/phone #, email & FB address. If you'd like it, PM me & I'll be more than happy to provide it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
here is the address listed from the web page i posted:
here is another address from another of her web site:
Nancy Forrester’s Secret Garden,
One Free School Lane, (off the 500 block Simonton Street), Key West, Florida 33040
I wonder if this was her old address that the "state" made her relocate from? :huh:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
sandra are either of those addresses right ?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
sandra are either of those addresses right ?
The Elizabeth Street address is the current one that I visited last Wednesday. 33040 zip & I have a phone # from her card for those who might want it. (PM or email me)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I looked up the 518 Elizabeth Street, Key West, FL to get that zip code.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You know, I've never been to Key West . . . . . yet.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
me either, but this lady's story strike my heart