• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keloid scars on dogs? Deciding whether to remove it.

platinum

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sharon
Leia has always had a scar on the top of her head. From the time I got her, it was there. In the beginning, it was just a little hairless patch. Most of it healed, leaving about a third of the original scar there. When she was about six months, she hit her head and tore it open a little, and when it healed it became a huge bump.

Both vets that have looked at it agree it's a keloid scar. It's been biopsied, it's not cancerous and it is just scar tissue. What the two vets don't agree on is whether it needs action. The first vet (not our regular) who looked at it thinks we should just leave it. Our regular vet is worried that if it grows any bigger and does become a problem, she won't be able to remove it without causing a lot more damage.

What would you do?

I've attached a picture that is pretty clear, but it is more raised than it appears in this picture. It stands a good half inch off the top of her head.

Attachments

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I don't know anything about dogs so I can't help...I hope you find a good solution!

Teasha

Not sure if this applies to dogs. My son whenever he scars he gets keloids. I think if they removed his keloids it would scar again as a keloid. Just something to think about, maybe look into.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Do keloid scars grow?

Like Teasha said, people who get keloid scars generally always scar that way.

If she were my dog, I'd ask about both those situations.

I can see why it might be easier to deal with now, rather than when (if) it gets larger.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. I develop keloid scars and the doc told me having them fixed may just cause more scarring to occur. I think Leia is beautiful! Of course I am partial as I was raised with boxers and use to show them. :D

nonavian

Checking out the neighborhood
Sharon, My boxer has this exact same scar. It was so small when I got her at 8 weeks, I thought for sure it would just heal over. She is now 11 months and it seems to get bigger and more raised every week. The vet we go to has told me it could be a benign tumor, but I think it is a keloid scar. I'm going to take her to get it biopsied soon, but I was wondering if your situation was ever resolved and what you did? My little Betty looks a lot like your baby! I will post pics if needed.

Anything you can tell me would be a great help! Thanks!

Bec.Pollard

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bec Pollard
Hi Guys!

My amstaff Onzlow was born with the exact same thing. Having the same debate on wether to remove or not. He is 12 months old now and it has gotten worse again :(

Did either of you reach a resolution?

Thank you :)

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Hi Guys!

My amstaff Onzlow was born with the exact same thing. Having the same debate on wether to remove or not. He is 12 months old now and it has gotten worse again :(

Did either of you reach a resolution?

Thank you :)
They have not posted here in a few years.