• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keiba (IRN); male OR female — what do you think?! DNA sexing being done. .

Do you think Keiba is a male or female?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Regardless of sex (which is F (lol)) your IRN is beautiful! Whan is the name of this color mutation? I WANT ONE:)

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
You know I'm one of Keiba's biggest fans. But I always thought Keiba was a female. My two boys are just over a year old and they definitely have their ring impression visible already. So I voted for female. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you everyone, and thanks for the votes. :cool1: I will keep you updated.

At what age does the ring start to grow in? Is it at 2 years?
Yeah, about 2-3 years old. :)

I'm not going to guess, Keiba is certainly beautiful!! I'm anxious to hear what he/she is though and will be watching for the results. How long does it take?
Thanks! The results take a week, sometimes not even a week, it depends how many tests they get in and the tests are sent to a Laboratory in South Africa to be done.

Renae, is Kelba Albino, or more accurately grey pallidino? Most people call the white mutation "albino" but that isn't technically correct. I can't tell from the picture if he is a light blue or white. If he is grey pallidino (looks white) you won't be able to visually sex him because the male will not have a ring. I am going to guess you have a handsome little boy minus the ring that the male ringnecks are known for.
His mutation is called a “Blue Lacewing”, if he is a male, he will get a black ring (google Blue Lacewing male Indian Ringneck to see).

Renae, another way you may be able to tell is the display. The male ringnecks do an elaborate courtship display, snaking their heads, making heart wings, etc. Females usually tilt their head up, pin their eyes and cluck. Have you noticed either of these displays?

Here is a video of P.J. at four months old practicing his courtship display. He was DNA tested as male at eight weeks of age. ‪P.J. Being Sexy‬‏ - YouTube

Regardless of sex, Kelba is absolutely gorgeous! :heart:
Yeah, he puts his wings out and I believe that is a male behavior which is why I am sure he is a male. :p Here is a video of him, you can see he has his wings out: ‪Keiba's love for Leila‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks by the way. :D

You know I'm one of Keiba's biggest fans. But I always thought Keiba was a female. My two boys are just over a year old and they definitely have their ring impression visible already. So I voted for female. :)
Thanks! I spoke to the breeder I got him from and he said with some male IRNs you can see the ring early, but that is not always the case, he has had males not start showing a ring until they were 3 and a half years old.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I always thought Keiba was a male. I have been right on all of mine so far, So I can't wait to find out.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim

Yeah, he puts his wings out and I believe that is a male behavior which is why I am sure he is a male. :p Here is a video of him, you can see he has his wings out: ‪Keiba's love for Leila‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks by the way. :D
After seeing that adorable video, I might have to change my guess to "Male". Both of my boys do that to each other. And they usually respond to each other the same way Leila is. lol I don't think girls do that "opening of the wings" and "swaying back and forth" thingy?

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Renae, is Kelba Albino, or more accurately grey pallidino? Most people call the white mutation "albino" but that isn't technically correct. I can't tell from the picture if he is a light blue or white. If he is grey pallidino (looks white) you won't be able to visually sex him because the male will not have a ring. I am going to guess you have a handsome little boy minus the ring that the male ringnecks are known for.
I was going to post the same thing. I didnt think he will get his ring ever! But I thought he was white, not blue lacewing. Anyhow, Im gonna keep my guess as male. I have two girls, and thier facial featuers are similar to eachothers, and his are not like thiers.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I want to change too!:p I love your voice Renae.:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Gah, I hate it Carole!

I had to put off sending the test in until this Tuesday because of the unexpected arrival of Luna (Cockatiel). I will definitely be sending it on Tuesday, I have an appointment to go to and I am doing it straight after. Sorry to make you all wait, but like I said, I will keep you updated, and results can take up to a week, sometimes less.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I don't know, he just looks like a boy to me. But I'm just going with my gut.

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
Girl she looks soo pretty and refined!

Status
Not open for further replies.