• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping lovebird busy while you’re away

Haimovfids

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have a single lovebird, and I work from 8am to 7pm on weekdays. I have a big cage, and I change out perches and toys every few weeks, but I still don’t feel like it’s enough. My bird is located in my room which is very low traffic, but I can’t put the cage anywhere else.

What are some ways to keep your bird busy for 8+ hours at a time? I tried getting him a lovebird friend, but the noise they made together made me rehome the friend.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I fostered a love bird for awhile and he loved foraging toys. One thing I would do would hollow out a mini pepper and stuff it with chopped up fruits and vegetables and hide a few of his favorite seeds in it too. He loved digging through it and it was a good way to get him to eat fruit and veggies.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Maybe you could keep the tv or at least a radio on in some corner of the room so he could chatter along. I used to used a playlist streaming service as they would sequence through and give a variety of music for the birds to listen to.

Alternatively - hiding treats in random toys everyday would entice him to forage and would kill some time for him. I've seen people fold those little paper foraging stars with various snacks inside, which are cheap and easy to pop into the cage everyday.

Skewers are great if you're looking to easily add toy variety to keep him busy, as well.

Altogether, that's a long period of time to go with minimal interaction. While it's sometimes a bit controversial, you could try providing him with a mirror toy of some sort (as long as he doesn't get too obsessed with it) to trick his mind into thinking he's not alone.