• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping Cool and How Hot is Too Hot?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Currently it's a blistering hot day in Niagara Falls (or at least my house is hot) the digital thermometer says it's 84 degrees in my room (where Kamara is)

How hot is too hot and how can I help keep my lil' girl cool? I already gave her a spray with some cold water from a spray bottle (sprayed up so the mist would fall on her instead of directly spraying her) and she has a shallow bath filled with water too

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Does she look like the heat is causes her stress?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am search the post for a suggeted temp range...no luck so far but I did see a post....:faint:

You are doing the right thing by offering her a bowl of water and spritzing.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think they start to get too hot when it's in the 90's. You can tell if she starts to pant and hold her wings away from her body. Misting helps quite a bit.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Thankfully we turned on the AC in the evening so the heat shouldn't be so bad. It's still just super humid.
I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't start making any signs of overheating. She acted normally all day so I think she's fine and I was the one dying in the heat lol

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I follow a simple rule...if I'm uncomfortable with the heat, then check on the birds.

You're doing well...making sure there's a bathing place and gently misting Kamara...:)

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I am cold natured and happily keep my house in the eighties all summer. My gcc has no problem with that. In the winter I keep her part of the house about seventy six

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
There are wild colonies in Arizona, so they must be able to tolerate heat as long as they are able to find some shade. Also their natural environment in Africa must be pretty hot as well, I would imagine. At least some Lovebird species live on the Serengeti and that is pretty hot. However, our babies are not wild and have been raised in controlled temperatures so they are not as acclimated as their wild cousins.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I'm sorry, I'm having a small chuckle to myself about the blistering heat at 84F. I live in the tropics and to me 84F indoor is a very nice temperature, not too hot, not too cold. :heart: Either way I think if Kamara gets too hot mist her with water. During really hot summerdays, I usually do that with my birds to keep them cool and they all appreciate it.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I'm sorry, I'm having a small chuckle to myself about the blistering heat at 84F. I live in the tropics and to me 84F indoor is a very nice temperature, not too hot, not too cold. :heart: Either way I think if Kamara gets too hot mist her with water. During really hot summerdays, I usually do that with my birds to keep them cool and they all appreciate it.
Lol, us Canadian can't handle the heat if it gets too hot we melt!
It's a much cooler day today but last summer was hot and dry and I think this summer will be too

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
It's a much cooler day today but last summer was hot and dry and I think this summer will be too
same with us Minnesotians the heat and humidity get to us. and hang in there we got 50 degree days right now and it's chilly again. coming to you soon.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
We have 77 here right now, and it's 9 am ( winter weather) I have been hiding under a blanket on the sofa and no fans on yet this morning. Finds are in fighting form, the lovely evil twins has been flying around like two loonies and Sunny the conure has had breakfast with me we are slowly building trust and boundaries. Bird the old teil is his normal grumpy self, wondering what the young ones are on about. :hehe:Again they are used to hot and humid weather so the cool weather is a lovely change and makes them really active, to keep warm I assume.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Something I found somewhere (can't remember where exactly) that it depends on where the bird grew up. The colonies of birds in Arizona and ones closer to the equator are obviously going to be able to tolerate a longer exposure to heat and are able to withstand higher temperatures, because that's what they're acclimated to. Cooper was born in Colorado and now lives in Wyoming (where here - on May 17-19 we had a winter storm warning), so he's used to temperatures between 63-75. He gets uncomfortable around 77 degrees Fahrenheit, and gets cold at 60 degrees fahrenheit. It all depends on what they're acclimated to because they're warm-blooded like dogs and cats!
To keep cool, I sometimes slip an ice cube in Cooper's water dish so he gets cold water to drink and bathe in. I'll also mist him and provide shade of some kind or open a window for a warm breeze to go through the room.