• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping birds outside?

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
Is it okay if I build a little aviary outside (in shade) , and keep the birds there?
Got many questions and need ideas;

How to keep them cool (Texas summer soon)

Weather protection?

Overall protection? (Hawks, coyotes, etc)

(It's on a concrete slab)

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Yes its ok and your birds will love it. I built Lucy an outdoor aviary and she loves spending time in it. Im in TX also and she doesnt get much time in there when it gets hot.
We will put her out there in the morning, but usually bring her in by 10 or 11am. Spring and winter she gets more time out there, we just watch the temps.
Lucy is never out there unless one of us is out there as well even though the aviary is on our front porch and inside the chain link fenced in yard. We still prefer to be out there with her.

I used stainless steel welded wire to build it with, I forget the dimensions of the aviary, but its something like 10x12 or 8x12 and 8' high with a metal roof.

I wouldnt leave them in it overnight if thats what you were asking.

Nami

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicola
Temporarily during the day I think it's a great idea, however I wouldn't leave any birds in it overnight as it isn't good to expose birds to temperature changes or drafts. Some predators can be very determined so if you aren't willing to supervise your birds outside you will need to construct a very sturdy and well made aviary with the concrete floor you mentioned, hardware cloth and strong latches.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It would make a nice area for a "supervised" aviary. Without supervision it needs to be a "proven" design that is safe, secure, provides protection from the elements, heat and cold (somewhere to come inside preferably). That speaks to it being professionally built.

Being between buildings and being surrounded on all sides, if the sun shines a lot in that spot it will get pretty hot.

Any big changes in temperature are going to cause problems for the birds. Birds must also be slowly acclimatized to new/different temperatures. Suddenly making a house bird live outside could kill it.

Birdlovesme

Okay , I understand.
Since it's on the side of the house, it dosent get much sun.
My dad was acually going to build it, and we can figure something out to keep good Temps.
Thanks!

Birdlovesme

As you can see in the picture, it's almost all shade.