• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keep an eye open, scary encounter

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow, very clear memory for you, no doubt. Even if I didn't have birds I'm pretty sure I'd've been a bit shaken.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
So sorry to hear this happened and gave you a fright, yet I’m so glad you realized what was going on and you were able to save your little Dachshund.

I too have a Dachshund named Odie. If we’re hanging out in the front yard we will take him out there with us. Well one time we noticed there were like 3 or 4 hawks hanging out really close by on different trees, all looking at our yard. Luckily, we figured out that they were stalking our little man before anyone got hurt.

Thanks for posting this thread. This is a great warning and tip for others who have little dogs and live in an area with lots of hawks and other big birds.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So sorry to hear this happened and gave you a fright, yet I’m so glad you realized what was going on and you were able to save your little Dachshund.

I too have a Dachshund named Odie. If we’re hanging out in the front yard we will take him out there with us. Well one time we noticed there were like 3 or 4 hawks hanging out really close by on different trees, all looking at our yard. Luckily, we figured out that they were stalking our little man before anyone got hurt.

Thanks for posting this thread. This is a great warning and tip for others who have little dogs and live in an area with lots of hawks and other big birds.
Another happy ending because of watchful owners. I'm glad Odie was okay. :hug8:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you for your reminder! I wish I can find the news article I had read yesterday about this; basically, it gave the same warning, said these predator birds can snatch something like 11 lbs, and that ppl were reporting them to be especially aggressive this year for some reason. So keep your animal friends indoor, or outside under close supervision.

Also, another article I read said that it was time to take down your bird feeders if you have bears in the area. Not sure if that's an issue for where you live, but if it is, they are coming out of hibernation and some have learned sunflower seeds and suet are easy treats and will become repeat visitors.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I knew they could take any size birds and small animals, but 11 pounds! :( I hope a whole lot of folks watch their critters more closely.
Also, another article I read said that it was time to take down your bird feeders if you have bears in the area. Not sure if that's an issue for where you live, but if it is, they are coming out of hibernation and some have learned sunflower seeds and suet are easy treats.
Now that's a new one to me. :eek:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Yikes! I'm so glad this had a happy ending. How terrifying. :hug8:

I've always wondered about this happening in my area. It's uncommon I actually see a smaller raptor, just a few times a year I find the remains of a rabbit or ptarmigan under a tree or even a body-print in the snow where something was snatched. Bald eagles are a common sight, a breeding pair live at a lake just down the road. More than once I've watched them circling the subdivision and wondered if they they are stalking someone's dog or cat. Sometimes someone will dump a poached moose carcass in the woods nearby and suddenly there are eagles everywhere. While there really only are a few outdoor cats (they tend not to last very long :() there are a handful of small breed dogs who are left outside to roam unattended. I can't imagine, with all the wildlife and larger roving dogs around here just setting your 10 pound or less dog free outside to do whatever. :huh:

I have large dogs so I mostly have to worry about other aggressive dogs and moose when I walk them.
Moose are the worst, my father lost his first dog in Alaska to a moose and one of my old boys got a nasty kick and had to live the rest of his life with a herniated disk in his spine. Between dogs being idiots and mother moose being aggressive towards anything vaguely wolf-shaped it's a dangerous combo at times. Actually my dog being kicked was the main reason I went halves with the landlord to have a 7 foot cedar fence put in around the entire back yard. Now I have somewhere dog safe, huge load off my mind (and also safer for me too, taking the trash out at night used to be terrifying honestly.)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you for your reminder! I wish I can find the news article I had read yesterday about this; basically, it gave the same warning, said these predator birds can snatch something like 11 lbs, and that ppl were reporting them to be especially aggressive this year for some reason. So keep your animal friends indoor, or outside under close supervision.

Also, another article I read said that it was time to take down your bird feeders if you have bears in the area. Not sure if that's an issue for where you live, but if it is, they are coming out of hibernation and some have learned sunflower seeds and suet are easy treats and will become repeat visitors.
I think that was Michigan and they had a photo of a bear wrangling a feeder Put away birdfeeders to keep bears from visiting your yards, DNR warns | MLive.com

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
it gave the same warning, said these predator birds can snatch something like 11 lbs, and that ppl were reporting them to be especially aggressive this year for some reason. So keep your animal friends indoor, or outside under close supervision.
That is a false statement for the most part. Eagles can carry a few pounds although I have my doubts they can carry 10lb. Most hawks can carry less than 3lb. I've never had a hawk fly away trailing a 2lb weight. They can attack things that are heavier and pin them to the ground, but they can't carry them away. I've had my own hawk catch 3lb rabbits and try to carry them away from the dog and not be able to do more than just drag it under a bush on foot.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
That is a false statement for the most part. Eagles can carry a few pounds although I have my doubts they can carry 10lb. Most hawks can carry less than 3lb. I've never had a hawk fly away trailing a 2lb weight. They can attack things that are heavier and pin them to the ground, but they can't carry them away. I've had my own hawk catch 3lb rabbits and try to carry them away from the dog and not be able to do more than just drag it under a bush on foot.
Good to know! Also, I Googled it and found it's a common myth as per the website below: 10,000 Birds | Can A Hawk Carry Off Your 12-Pound Pet?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What about a harness and clear umbrella? Might look silly to non bird peeps but would be an extra measure.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to know! Also, I Googled it and found it's a common myth as per the website below: 10,000 Birds | Can A Hawk Carry Off Your 12-Pound Pet?
That's the website I like to post on facebook. The video is funny. People in general need to calm down about hawks. Anyone with small dogs needs to go out with them. In all likelihood, hawks are the least of the things likely to harm a small dog. Supposedly coopers hawks will often drop birds if they fight back. I've known falconer's whose kestrel was killed by coopers hawks and others who saw the coops fly away with the kestrel only to track down the kestrel and find it alive later. Kestrels can bite and make it very uncomfortable to hold on to them. As can a parrot. The parrot in a harness is not likely to disembodied and carried away in pieces. We are talking about a quick grab and if not able to fly away with it due to the harness being attached to the human, the hawk will release it and fly away. Of course, damage can still be done. If you really want to harness a little bird and take them out and about, you are very likely to be okay so long as you keep the little guy on your person. If you try to extend the leash, walk away and do recall training, you up the risk. It would be a rare coopers hawk that would be so brave as to snatch a conure from a person's shoulder. Not saying it would never, happen, just unlikely. Probably more likely mid to late summer when hungry juveniles are desperate for food and freshly liberated from their parent's care.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
This is why my favorite travel cage is a mesh metal top one and very VERY sturdy.

The other one is strictly for long trips and only ever used indoors.
Harnesses may be dead birds on strings.... but powdered wire cages are death traps.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Supposedly coopers hawks will often drop birds if they fight back. I've known falconer's whose kestrel was killed by coopers hawks and others who saw the coops fly away with the kestrel only to track down the kestrel and find it alive later. Kestrels can bite and make it very uncomfortable to hold on to them. As can a parrot. The parrot in a harness is not likely to disembodied and carried away in pieces. We are talking about a quick grab and if not able to fly away with it due to the harness being attached to the human, the hawk will release it and fly away. Of course, damage can still be done. If you really want to harness a little bird and take them out and about, you are very likely to be okay so long as you keep the little guy on your person. If you try to extend the leash, walk away and do recall training, you up the risk. It would be a rare coopers hawk that would be so brave as to snatch a conure from a person's shoulder. Not saying it would never, happen, just unlikely. Probably more likely mid to late summer when hungry juveniles are desperate for food and freshly liberated from their parent's care.
I don't know what kind of hawk it was that took Pistachio from my shoulder, but I have read that hawks usually break the necks of their prey on contact. I am certain that was the case with Pistachio as his body was limp the entire time we chased the hawk, every time it landed, and for as long as we were able to keep it in sight. I knew that if we were able to get him back we would just be recovering his body at that point. I agree that he would not have been disembodied had he been in a harness, but I also agree that the damage would have clearly been done. :sad1: