• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kamara's New Life

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Kamara has become brave enough to approach my hand, unfortunately she thinks it's food so she tries to give it a little test nibble. Anyone have any ways I can help her understand hand=hand and not food?
My Anakin does a similar thing. It's never hard enough to hurt, so I just figure that he's making sure everything is okay before he hops on.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Kamara looks wonderful! Looks the me like she has more feathers growing in.
Glad she is starting to play with her toy.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara looks wonderful! Looks the me like she has more feathers growing in.
Glad she is starting to play with her toy.
I just ordered her a ton of new toys that will be arriving may 1st
Also she's beginning to play with the roll of calculator paper. I know she'll love that once she gets the hang of it

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
IMG_2380.JPG Kamara has been doing well lately, she's become a lot more receptive to new kinds of foods I offer her and she'll try anything I give her at least once. Her new favorites are sweet potato and cauliflower, I know broccoli is usually a favorite among birds (if just for the fun of shredding it) but I'll be buying it when it's in season.
I got her a nice big liac branch as a bird tree and hung some toys on it but so far no interest. I'm going to start sticking pieces of sweet potato on the branches to try and coax her up there
I hang leafy greens from her ceiling with clothes pins and she enjoys that a lot, she'll nibble on a piece of romaine lettuce or a dandelion leaf for the whole day

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
just make sure your bird can not raise the door

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@LilSprout - You have done a yeoman's job with Kamara. Because of your persistence and dedication to her she will have a happy, healthy bird life for the rest of it.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Good news! She's begun shredding the roll of calculator paper for fun! Previously she had no idea what to do with it. Hopefully she'll begin trying out her other toys more

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I found a picture of Kamara when she first came home. The difference of then to now is actually astonishing. It's only been four months
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
She likes pooping on her play table, I need to take it outside and blast it with the hose to clean it good

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She looks wonderful!!
You are doing a great job!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I found a picture of Kamara when she first came home. The difference of then to now is actually astonishing. It's only been four months
View attachment 253957
View attachment 253958
She likes pooping on her play table, I need to take it outside and blast it with the hose to clean it good
If I notice the birds having a favorite spot, I lay a paper towel or newspaper down so I can just toss it when it's used up.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
What a transformation! She looks so good now. (Not that she wasn't always a cutie!)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I finally got her to go up on her lilac branch yesterday (I stuck some millet up there) and now she likes to go up there and chew on the branches. She also enjoys siting on the big rope perch outside her cage and she hops around from one side to the other. She seems to only go in her cage for pellets and water now, all other times when I'm home she likes to be out and she just climbs around. It makes me really happy to see her enjoying herself