• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kakariki prep

Rolo

Meeting neighbors
My kakariki will be coming home right after Christmas. :dance4:

Anything that'll help transition more?
This is a hand reared male chick. Depending on the stage of weaning he may still be on feedings, depending on the amount of food he needs to be fed I may or may not be taking him home.

Are there any kakariki owners out there that have great bonds with their Kaks? I want to do as much bonding as I can while he's a chick. Also any toys that your birds really love?
The diet is what I'm getting a little confused on, can you tell me what you feed yours?

I've done a ton of research but I want to make sure everything is as right as possible!

Rolo

Meeting neighbors
Are there any other tips that you know of?
Especially essentials for their diet and treats that they like?

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I did a little reading about them on a kakariki forum..they had good guidelines for their daily fresh foods which seem to make up a bulk of their diet. It looks like a birdie salad!

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Yeah they seem to like to forage a lot when eating..and fly! Everything I've ever read about them says not to clip them (I'm sure you already know most of this though!)

Rolo

Meeting neighbors
Thanks a lot!
My baby can't fly yet, no need to clip them then!
Flight lessons will be starting soon...
Of course from about 2 ft from a padded floor!

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
No problem! Kakarikis and bourkes (among others I'm sure) aren't supposed to be clipper ever since their main method of getting around is flying rather than climbing around like a lot of parrots and plus it messes with their psychological development/confidence. Most birds that are properly fledged are quite good little fliers..maybe not the most graceful but they learn! My bird came to me clipped and now at almost 2years is just learning how to fly and land properly (I got her at 1year of age). It's very nerve wracking but she is finally not crashing on her landing :D

Rolo

Meeting neighbors
Twix was almost never clipped until winter. This was just to keep him a little safer downstairs.

Thanks for finding all of this for me. The website I tried finding stuff on never works now...
Would you happen to know anything that would be good foot toys and foraging toys for almost any bird? I can never seem to find the right one.
Do you have bourkes?

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
That's good! I let Charlie's grow out when I first got her then I moved into my house that has 12-15foot ceilings and ledges really high up so for her safety I had her clipped but now I think I'll just keep her trimmed so she can fly but hopefully not get super high up where I can't get to her

deshud

Walking the driveway
Congratulations on your new kak. You will love him. They are great birds. I have three. The problem is that, there's not much information on them ( especially when I got my first one 2 years ago, so it was learn on the go) My first two were clipped when I got them, and my older male chewed off his tail. So, yes, don't clip them. They get bored very easily, they are intelligent birds. Need to forage. Like to eat their food from bowls on the bottom of the cage, I have bowls on the bottom and also at the top as well. They are true aviary birds and needs to fly. Mine aren't big on toys, but does like the shredding kind. Their nails grow very quickly, needs trimming at least every three months.

Diet is the most difficult for me, as there's conflicting information out there. I feed mine a mix of pellet and seed. Don't feed cockatiel, as sunflower seeds have too much oil for kaks and are not good for them. I offer them parakeet seed and small parrot seed, and mix it. I give them roddybush pellets, only one of the kaks will eat it. They love food, especially fresh food, and tend to overeat , and if they don't get much excercise, can become obese. They also love to throw food!!! Mine loves raspberries, and my birdroom looks like a bloodbath! They are not the cleanest birds!

They do talk, some info says sex doesn't matter, but my males talk, and my female doesn't yet ( she's still young though). You are lucky to get a hand fed baby, easier to train. However, since they are very smart birds, you still can train parrent raised birds ( I have both). They are my quietest birds. don't make much noise.

Even though they are fully flighted,they like to walk as well, so don't step on them! Mine are busy birds, not ones to sit on play stands for hours ( not even minutes) Mine don't sleep in huts, they sleep on high perches. My female plays more then my males, she likes to get into open drawers, boxes, ect...

In summary, they are not "cage"birds, needs a lot of time out of their cage. Mine aren't cuddly,but likes my attention and likes to talk to me, asking me what I am doing. They say about twenty five words. They need to forage. I suggest to take them to an aviary vet, not just a generalized vet if you can, as they are still not common in north america ( they're from australia). Even my aviary bird doesn't know too much about kaks. You need to keep their minds active, they will pluck if bored. They are colony birds, and do get a long in groups, but be careful if you have a male and female, and don't want to breed, as they are very prolific breeders. I am lucky my female hasn't laid eggs yet ( I have no nests or nesting materials avialable, but it will probably happen as they are kaks.) They do have attiitudes and will bite hard.

There is a kakariki forum, most members are from europe and australia. They are helpful, but it's a small forum, and the responses are always late coming because of the time difference. Most kak owners in europe and australia has them in aviaries.

This is what I have learned about my kaks. Some people may disagree with my comments, but this is my experience. They are one of my favourite birds, and you will love your kak! I am still learning something new about them everyday.
What kind of kak are you getting? Yellow fronted or red fronted? I am jealous. I want another kak. There is one for sale at the petstore right down the street, where I go Bo. I do love my kaks. They have wonderful personalities.

Debbie

deshud

Walking the driveway
Oh yeah, they like bongs! I am thinking of getting an orbit, if you have a choice between a playgym or an orbit, I would get an orbit, they like to be high in the room. Bam Bam spends all his time on top of his cage. Bo sits on top of the door when the door is open. And for some reason Luigi likes the floor, so who knows! As I said, I am still learning. I have a feeling kakarikis are going to become very popular as they are smaller, quieter birds, do talk, and very entertaining, intelligent birds. However, I am afraid some people aren't going to research enough and will get a kak, then will have to rehome them, because " I don't have enough time to give to them" As I mentioned before, they are not cuddly birds, and won't sit on my shoulder for hours, they do like heads though! They are content to be in the same room as you, it might be different for you, as you will only have one bird, and he'll probably will bond with you more, as you will be his flock. I never have owned only one kak, my first two kaks came together. If you have read my other threads, I plan on fostering and rehoming birds, however, not kaks. All my kaks are in their forever home here, and as I renovate my bird room, I plan on adopting more kaks in need, I will have a little kak sanctuary. I will never breed them, because I think in several years there will be a lot that will need to be rehomed.

Sorry for the long response. I just love my kaks, and I don't know too many people that own them yet, so I am very happy to share my limited knowledge. I haven't trained them llike I have wanted to, but they seem happy and content in their enviroment. Bo is the only one that steps up consistently, Luigi will step up for food, LOL, and it has taken one year for Bam Bam to "walk " out of his bird room to my room, he never did learn to fly. Just talking about my kaks, makes me want to go buy the one from the petstore!

Best of luck with your kak, please feel free to ask any questions, and I will try to help.

Debbie

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Twix was almost never clipped until winter. This was just to keep him a little safer downstairs.

Thanks for finding all of this for me. The website I tried finding stuff on never works now...
Would you happen to know anything that would be good foot toys and foraging toys for almost any bird? I can never seem to find the right one.
Do you have bourkes?
The main website I was reading on is a forum that has a lot of Australian members I believe..and there is a lot of conflicting information out there..I think most people are just learning/figuring out what the best diet and care for these birds so there is not a lot of solid information on these little cuties yet. I only have a Congo African Grey, who LOVES foot toys. Birdie bagels, paper finger traps stuffed with crinkle paper, little vine wreaths, various toy parts make great foot toys--Charlie has a little basket at the bottom of her cage filled with fun stuff. Balsa, thin pine, cork and leather are Charlie's favorite materials--she loves anything made with those things. Refillable skewers are great for quick refillable toy and a fun way to serve food. I get a lot of my foot toys and toys in general from various vendors on here! IGAW (I got a woody),MPBT (mother pluckin bird toys), MSBS (my safe bird store) among others are my current favorites!

Last edited:

SingingBird

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm new...and late to the conversation, but my Kak lives in a huge Macaw cage. The door is open whenever I'm home. She loves to explore, eats Abba small hook bill without sunflower, the protein "bug" mix, and lots of fruits and veggies. Corn and peas are her favorites. She loves to fly, but equally enjoys exploring by foot.

Her toys are all the "foraging" type. Boxes filled with goodies, etc. She was hand raised but had a rough go for 5 months before I found her. She will chat with me but would rather not be touched. She loves to vocalize, especially when she has found something new, or when the canary is singing to her (he has a crush on her). My Kak seems to be especially sensitive. One experience that is worrisome causes her to become withdrawn for days. I hope she grows out of this, as I have only had her for 2 months...but I'm fine with whomever she needs to be.

She cracks me up almost every day, and I think she is just a lovely bird. Would like to chat with others who have Kaks, as there isn't much info available aside from the basics.
Cheers!