• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kahn the lovebird!

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Hey all! So, in the beginning of April I got my first Lovebird. And at this stage in the game Kahn has grown in personality and affection amazingly. It seemed like every day if work with him, he was a bit more tame and tollerent of me. One night Kahn and I were in my livingroom and he was chilling on my shoulder. And the next thing I knew it was 5am! He had called asleep on me and since has been my little buddy. I just wanted to share with everyone his growth and then ask a question.

WHEN WILL HE BE MORE COLORFUL!?:bpflb:
I love Kahn how he is, but I'm also excited to see how vibrant his colors get. And if he will be any bigger than my hand too. Just curious!

(He also gets along with all my animals, cats, and even the dog. He likes to tease the dog and he like to sit on my cats backs.) Snapchat-765927014.jpg Snapchat-1794296870.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Please get the cat away from the bird.
Birds should be kept away from cats and dogs. Their saliva is toxic to birds.

He likes to tease the dog and he like to sit on my cats backs.
Very bad combos.
Also, your bird looks clipped. This is a recipe for disaster. I´d hate for anything to happen to your bird.

WHEN WILL HE BE MORE COLORFUL!?
At about 6 months old they will have their first moult.
It transforms the bird and his face will deepen and appear more round. The brow line will become more predomenant.
Your birds face will be a peach/red colour. My Sydney had a face like Kahn as a chick, after first moult it changed into what you see in my picture below.

And if he will be any bigger than my hand too
Your bird is fully grown. Maybe he will plump out a little as he gets older. But not by much. His height won´t change.

Last edited:

DelilahPygmy

Moving in
Real Name
Katie
Very bad combos.
Also, your bird looks clipped. This is a recipe for disaster. I´d hate for anything to happen to your bird.
I'm sorry if I made anyone nervous or upset. My cats and I are very close and I just want all my animals to get along.:darkcloud:
he's also never in contact with the dog. He just likes to peep at her and annoy her.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have cats and birds. My cats are really good but I would never trust them with the birds, cats will always be somewhat wild. Just don't forget that it's a predator/prey dynamic. Cats are born hunters. My cats are mainly curious and like to watch the birds, but I can tell when they get the look in their eyes or by their posture when they're a little too curious. My lovebird is flighted so she's allowed to fly in my living room, but only while I'm watching her. My other birds stay in the bird room when out of their cages. Just something to consider, not sure about your cage set up, but I have cages that are on casters and weigh at least 55 lbs, so I know if my cats were to get into the bird room while I'm away, they can't knock those over. It's not easy to have both, but it can be done with a lot of caution. I love them all and I just want them to be safe first. Get ready for that moult, it seems like they have 200x more feathers than you thought once they go through that! Mine started down feathers first, flight feathers last.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Hi! Your little lovebird looks adorable :) His first molt will be coming up soon and that's when his real coloring will come out :) My Lovebirds did look different from when they first weaned to now (a couple of years later) as far as color.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm sorry if I made anyone nervous or upset. My cats and I are very close and I just want all my animals to get along.:darkcloud:
It´s ok, you didn´t know. I just wouldn´t want your bird to get hurt.

In an ideal all the animals in the world would get along, even humans. But sadly, we do not live in that world. Plus there is a food chain that must be respected.
Birds should only be allowed to mix with their own kind.

Get ready for that moult, it seems like they have 200x more feathers than you thought once they go through that! Mine started down feathers first, flight feathers last.
Yes, lots of feathers and they blow all over the house! hehe
Mine do, down and floofies, then a couple of rump feathers, then a few flights.

Offer baths frequently when your bird moults, it will help to soothe the new feathers coming through. Remember, during the first moult lovebirds can get a little cranky, just be patient.

PS, I save all my (birds) feathers.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
It´s ok, you didn´t know. I just wouldn´t want your bird to get hurt.

In an ideal all the animals in the world would get along, even humans. But sadly, we do not live in that world. Plus there is a food chain that must be respected.
Birds should only be allowed to mix with their own kind.

Yes, lots of feathers and they blow all over the house! hehe
Mine do, down and floofies, then a couple of rump feathers, then a few flights.

Offer baths frequently when your bird moults, it will help to soothe the new feathers coming through. Remember, during the first moult lovebirds can get a little cranky, just be patient.

PS, I save all my (birds) feathers.
I save the flight feathers! My lovebird is done, but now the linnies have begun.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My lovebird is done, but now the linnies have begun
Girl... I got all 6 moulting!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yea, I save flights, rumps, tail and some other larger down-ish type feathers. I use the large down feathers for my xmas bauble. The flights, rumps, and tail feathers are all in boxes.
The little feathers just get hoovered up :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Girl... I got all 6 moulting!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yea, I save flights, rumps, tail and some other larger down-ish type feathers. I use the large down feathers for my xmas bauble. The flights, rumps, and tail feathers are all in boxes.
The little feathers just get hoovered up :)
Oh man, and I was worried about these two simultaneously!