• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just saying hello!

Jellybird

Moving in
I have recently (April) adopted a baby yellow sided green cheek! She was born late February. Since I brought her to my home, I've been lurking these forums for quite some time now, and figured perhaps it's time to say hello and join in! Now, about my baby bird... Jelly is very social, friendly, and can be quite moody and bitey when she doesn't get what she wants! Really likes to stick her head into our mouths and bite on our teeth, bite buttons off remotes, controllers, etc. Contrary to what I've read on the internet, does not enjoy laying on her back. Too much attitude and pride for that!
Now for some questions... The past several weeks it looks to me like she has been molting, but mostly on the head and neck, and a bit around other areas. None of the big feathers yet, just the smallest ones. No bare skin patches or anything like that, lost feathers are replaced by new pin feathers super quick! Online I couldn't find out much about the age at which this first happens, and apparently it should mostly happen in spring/fall, but I thought she was still too young... Maybe not, I guess? She seems in perfectly good health and I found nothing at all wrong, and I watch her closely every day! So, is this time to molt normal, and should I supplement her diet in any way to help the process? I feed her mostly roudybush pellets, tropican pellets, and random fruits/veggies/berries, and a bit of seeds (mostly as a treat)...
Also, the breeder clipped her wings for me, but I was considering letting her grow them out later, but wasn't sure it was a good idea. Or maybe at least not cut as many of the flight feathers as she has cut now(which is 5).
Any honest tips/opinions from people who have more experience than me with these adorable birds is appreciated!!
Thank you for reading this painfully long post:joyful:

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Since we have indoor birds, they don't necessarily molt according to the seasons like outdoor birds do. And it's common for them to have several molts a year varying in amount. Although slightly young to molt, I think it's okay. I always thought it was more around the 6-8 month mark. I think most of us here encourage people to let their birds' wings grow out. It's really better for a bird mentally and physically to be flighted. I just hope your baby fledged before her wings were clipped. Some people clip for safely reasons, etc but I really believe it's better if they can fly.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome :greet9:

Jellybird

Moving in
Welcome to the forum. Since we have indoor birds, they don't necessarily molt according to the seasons like outdoor birds do. And it's common for them to have several molts a year varying in amount. Although slightly young to molt, I think it's okay. I always thought it was more around the 6-8 month mark. I think most of us here encourage people to let their birds' wings grow out. It's really better for a bird mentally and physically to be flighted. I just hope your baby fledged before her wings were clipped. Some people clip for safely reasons, etc but I really believe it's better if they can fly.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! Just wanted to know the opinions of people here, because I really want to make sure I keep the birdie safe, but obviously I want her to be happy... She is a happy bird, but really cannot fly very far right now with so many of her flight feathers clipped. When I came to get her, the breeder only had 3 flight feathers clipped on all the babies and she said since the birds were let out of the cage for several hours a day to fly, they were pretty strong fliers and could pretty much fly up to anywhere in the room despite the clip. She clipped my baby's wings extra because at the time, I thought it might be a good idea to make sure she be was safe getting used to my house, plus I've never had a bird before, not since I was a little kid, anyways. Although I regret that decision a bit now...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too! Just wanted to know the opinions of people here, because I really want to make sure I keep the birdie safe, but obviously I want her to be happy... She is a happy bird, but really cannot fly very far right now with so many of her flight feathers clipped. When I came to get her, the breeder only had 3 flight feathers clipped on all the babies and she said since the birds were let out of the cage for several hours a day to fly, they were pretty strong fliers and could pretty much fly up to anywhere in the room despite the clip. She clipped my baby's wings extra because at the time, I thought it might be a good idea to make sure she be was safe getting used to my house, plus I've never had a bird before, not since I was a little kid, anyways. Although I regret that decision a bit now...
It's okay- the clipped feathers will molt out in time. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
Welcome to you and Jelly!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Jelly.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Jelly! :)