• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

....Just like that, the world changed again

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I got a call last night from a lady down south, my very good friend.... she has a friend who was frantic, she needs a home for a 26 year old African Grey. The grey has been with the family for all of the 26 years. Due to health reasons, they have to rehome her.
My friend asked me if I can take her, because she knows and trusts me.

A grey, just like that.... I have never had a grey, she will not be part of the rescue, but a sanctuary bird. (Like Boo was, fly high my man)

So here I am, gonna read like a madwoman till I know that species inside out. In two weeks I pick her up.

I have very little information, but my friend will be going to get all the details today from the owner.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations! I hope he can help you heal Some more:heart: Can’t wait to hear more about your journey with him!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Congratulations!! :heart:

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Is it normal to almost feel like you are betraying the original love? (Boo) a part of me feels guilty, although I did not seek this new girl out, she will be a new large bird... Do you know what I mean?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I got a call last night from a lady down south, my very good friend.... she has a friend who was frantic, she needs a home for a 26 year old African Grey. The grey has been with the family for all of the 26 years. Due to health reasons, they have to rehome her.
My friend asked me if I can take her, because she knows and trusts me.

A grey, just like that.... I have never had a grey, she will not be part of the rescue, but a sanctuary bird. (Like Boo was, fly high my man)

So here I am, gonna read like a madwoman till I know that species inside out. In two weeks I pick her up.

I have very little information, but my friend will be going to get all the details today from the owner.

I think this is just what the doctor ordered my dear. Everything happens for a reason.:hug8:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I think it is normal to feel like we are betraying the "original love" - I think we equate bringing in another bird as replacing the original. You will never be able to replace Boo but nothing wrong with wanting to share your life with another bird that needs a home. Nothing wrong with loving and finding happiness again :hug8:

Congratulations!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Best of luck with the new friend.

You're not betraying. You've been given a chance to share love, that's a good thing.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Congratulations!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww it sounds meant to be. Some moms feel nervous that they can't love a new baby like they love the kids they already have. But of course they do. We've got plenty of love to go around.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is it normal to almost feel like you are betraying the original love? (Boo) a part of me feels guilty, although I did not seek this new girl out, she will be a new large bird... Do you know what I mean?
I had a tough time even thinking about another bird after I lost Sunny. And sometimes I still feel twinges of guilt when I'm telling Elvis I love him, like I'm somehow betraying Sunny. Which is silly. So, yes I know what you mean. But I'm sure Boo would want to you to share your love with another bird in need and give her a good home. I'm sure Sunny would want the same. And congrats on your new friend!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wishing you the best with the Grey.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I am so happy for you.
I just got a couple of greys (2 mos ago and this past weekend).
You will love them.
They truly are different.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
why do these things never happen to me?? No one randomly calls up and says can you take a bird! And last weekend someone found a caique by the roadside - when have we ever seen a bird by the road?? (hubby says we don't look lol)

Seriously though. I am really happy to hear this! Your heart will be full again.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Wonderful you will be giving the Babe a new forever home. :heart:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
The gray is not meant to replace Boo but to help you heal. Boo will always be a part of you. Those of us who have had our heart bird (and Buddy was mine) can find new comfort with taking care of a new bird. I am also a big believer of things happen because they are supposed to happen and right now, that is to help this new gray.