• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just heard about these little guys!

Newt

Meeting neighbors
I have been doing research because at some point in the distant future (like....tax season, lol) I am thinking of getting a bird of some kind and want to find one that fits in my life style in a way that benefits us both :) Of course cockatiels kept coming up in my search along with parakeets and parrotlets. I also keep coming across the pionus as a good species for those who have never kept birds. Some of the things I was looking for was a bird that was relatively quiet (I live in an apartment), was not much bigger than a cockateil, was able to be companionable but would not be all over me all the time (meaning, would be okay just hanging out in their play area while I am home and cooking or doing other things that they could not be a part of), and would be okay when I am at work (I work long days at work three days a week, then two short days).

With that said, I am not finding a lot about their care other than the basics of what to feed them. I am also finding very little about having two of them together. If the owner does have days when they are not around, can these guys be kept in pairs? And, this is the cage I was thinking of for whatever bird I end up getting:
Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Bird Cage | bird Cages | PetSmart
Would this be big enough for one or two pionus?

I will say this search and research led me to a store near me today and in said store the "greeter" cockatoo stuck her foot through her cage so we could shake hands :) Talk about heart melting! ^_^ Not thinking of a cockatoo as I know I do not have the time for one, but that was beyond sweet!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don't know that I would use that particular cage for Pionus because the bars are fairly thin. It is big enough, however I would think you'd want one sturdier. @Eloy has two, she can tell you about that. My guy is hateful and doesn't get along with anyone (including birds) so he would never have worked out in a pair.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
When I picked that cage out I did it with a cockatiel in mind, I just found out about pionus parrots. So very good thought. I will see if I can find one with sturdier bars, what about the bar spacing?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Bar spacing 2,5 cm and thickness 5 mm is good.
I also keep coming across the pionus as a good species for those who have never kept birds.
No. They are very sensitive parrots and males can be very aggressive.
And they can be in pairs in same cage if they grow up together, like siblings.
I have two girls, that doesn't grow up together so they don't share cage and never will. To many risks.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
VERY good to know, thank you! In that case I will keep researching cockatiels and other birds, thank you :)

Newt

Meeting neighbors
OMG so cute! The main thing is I do not want to make the same mistakes other people I have known have made. My sister got a sun conure once even though she lived in an apartment and EVERYTHING she read said they were NOT good for an apartment. She thought she could teach him to be quiet. The poor baby spent most of his time under a blanket to keep him quiet and she lost interest in him within a few months, by which time he was not very receptive to hugs and kisses because she never held him. Which is sad because she got him due to him being such a sweet bird. She then got two more conures, I forget the species, and soon got rid of them. They were both quieter though. Then my mom had three tiels in a cage meant for one, and it turns out they were two males and a female. The males would not let the female eat and she eventually died.

I pride myself in being a good pet owner, and I do good with pets that need structure and a routine since that is what I need :) So, just want to make sure I don`t put myself or a bird in a situation that is not good for either of us. I AM leaning towards a pair of tiels :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first and only bird is a pionus and as @Eloy says, they are very sensitive. You have to be sensitive yourself, and learn how to read their behaviour. I have extensive experience with mammals but Leia is another level of sensitivity and emotional depth. It was quite the learning curve and I'm sure I've done things wrong, but Leia and I get along very well.

They are not necessarily quiet birds. Leia has a call that makes my ears ring but she's pretty predictable about what sets her off. If her flock is talking she likes to join in and have a bit of a shout, and she has taken against my pepper grinder for reasons known only to herself and yells when I use it. Sometimes we have a singing session where we both make noise.

If she's out, she wants to be able to see me. If I'm doing something "interesting", like cooking (I have bird-safe ceramic pans) or washing up, then she wants to be involved. Her current thing is trying to drink from the tap as I wash up. She would very much like to lick every spatula and wooden spoon I own, preferably while in use. She's not necessarily a cuddly bird but she likes to be near me and hang out. She adores head scratches and asks for them by bowing her head, or I ask her by making a scratching motion with my fingers and she'll fluff her headfeathers in a particular way to say "yes" or she'll move away to say "no".

So far our major issue is hormones. Leia is basically a teenager and this is her first spring/summer with reproductive hormones in her system! She's perhaps a bit more opinionated, a bit more stroppy, and she is seeking out dark places and making sexy parrot noises at various things. She hasn't drawn blood but she does beak me hard if I don't listen to what she's trying to tell me. She has bad moods and stomps around, but I just leave her to it and let her work herself out of her tantrum.

I think she's really easy to live with, but other people wouldn't agree!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She's not necessarily a cuddly bird but she likes to be near me and hang out. She adores head scratches and asks for them by bowing her head, or I ask her by making a scratching motion with my fingers and she'll fluff her headfeathers in a particular way to say "yes" or she'll move away to say "no".
Exactly how mine is. Except mine is quiet, almost silent, and grumpier.

I don’t think I realized they’re all sensitive - not just Ernie. This is part of the charm. :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I had two brothers when I first got my Maxis in 78. They were a matched set and loved each other. They would lean on each other when they slept and preen and stay close to each other. They may have had one fight where nerd got a toenail broken but he also may have caught it on something himself. That was the only incident they ever had I'm aware of. I agree be careful if you get two that don't know each other as they can be very distrustful and aggressive to other birds. Other owners with two are here and should jump in with their experiences. Many are one person birds too so that can be part of it as well depending on the personality of the particular bird you have. Nerd lost his brother a few years in and we mourned together and he chose me to be his friend. Lurch after Nerd left me after 31 happy years together was mad at the world and quick to bite, any other bird that he didn't click would have been in mortal danger as I was for a few years before we reached a understanding. He escaped due to a dumb mistake and I was given Dobby by Momazon when she couldn't keep him anymore and thought I'd be a great dad for him. He's the most outgoing, mischievous, socialized Maxi I have ever known. He used to live with a Blue Head and a Amazon and they all got along great and were friends. When I boarded him for a week he played with all the other birds and was a ringleader in whatever they did together.
So they all are their own souls with similarities and you have to read them and figure out what yours will be ok with.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don’t think I realized they’re all sensitive - not just Ernie. This is part of the charm. :)
In fact that part was a big surprise for me. I couldn't find any information that Pionus was sensitive birds.
And Pionus have some kind of delayed sensibility.
So if you had changed some of their ordinary routines (they love their ordinary routines) you will find out that you have a worried parrot the day after.
Akela that is parrot raised and no people before me has handle her is also sensitive so it has nothing to do with luggage from the past.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This morning my baby caique was out of a cage. I was cleaning that cage. Ernie Pi per usual was on My shoulder.

I didn’t realize that Ernie climbed off me to the top of the cage. Suddenly he and baby caique were in a huge fight. It’s really hard to stick your hand in between a shrieking biting ball of feathers. And Jack was fighting back so hard that I thought he was Rio. So I said, I’ll grab Rio — and I did — and Ernie followed to the edge of the cage still posturing and giving the big hiss.

I set Capt Jack on top of the other cage and that’s when I realized he was Jack, and Rio “hid” by tucking herself down behind that cage.

No one was injured. But that’s how aggressive even an older mellow Pi can be.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So if you had changed some of their ordinary routines (they love their ordinary routines) you will find out that you have a worried parrot the day after
Yes!

And when you move things around you are in big trouble.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
LOL, so they are OCD like me? ;) How about moving toys around? For most birds shouldn`t you swap toys out often? Also, since it sounds like they do not do well with other birds or that it is kind of hit and miss, what would happen when I am gone for my long days at work three days a week, which have me out of the house for close to 12 hours?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you get two I'd get two cages and keep close but not touching till you know how they get along. When I found Nerd with his broken toenail there was blood spattered everywhere but he was ignoring it and seemed OK. Took him to the vet with his brother in their cage and they nipped off the bad spot and stopped wharever bleeding was still happening. I think I gave him some sugary drink to help with blood loss and give him energy but he did fine and never happened again till he pulled a flight blood feather that always bothered him when it tried to grow in many years later. Obviously if you get siblings they'll probably be OK together.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
If I got two they would be siblings or birds who had lived in a cage together for a while. Has anyone found that just one bird does okay with someone who works full time?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
All of my birds have been only birds and have done fine. They play with their toys, mostly snooze, and wait for their flock and chosen one to come home and get out for the day. As long as they have things to do and food and water they ocuppy themselves just fine and when your home they love to observe and hang out, get scritches and treats.