• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got home ...

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch wasn't a Too but it took him about 5 years to mostly decode I was a safe trustworthy friend. He would bite quickly without warning, scream, refuse to come out of his cage at first, and he was mad at the world and scared to death on top of it all when he first got here. I did just that, outlasted and wore him down over time and let him do as he pleased as long as it wasn't hurting him or anything else. He very slowly got closer and closer to me and eventually decided I was his chosen one.
He would sometimes scream and honk like crazy and yes sometimes saying fine I'll leave then and walking out of the room worked, sometimes he'd still scream and honk even when I was right there beside him. The times leaving worked he'd make a question noise eventually like saying, well that didn't works as I hoped and stop screaming, when I was beside him, who knows, he may have wanted something to happen and didn't know how to ask for it in a way I understood.
He did start to realize biting and screaming didn't always get him whet he wanted and cut way down on both but it never completely stopped, it was part of who he was and a feature after all the things he'd been through.
He also started to show me he cared in his own ways and learned that some things he liked would happen as long as he was with me and let me take care of business first so he learned a tiny bit of patience worked in HIS favor too.
It's too bad they don't just have a owners manual seeing how they go by their own rules that don't always make sense to mere humans and time means nothing to them.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Well today was a better day ...he screamed this morning only for a lil bit before I fed him ...I fed him ...them he made other noises that I rewarded him but he made them only for awhile ....around lunch time I let him out ...we played abit on his new play stand which he is still abit scared of ..and then he had a bath which he loved...and I haven't heard a scream since ...he had supper around 5:30 and still nothing (knocking on wood) ... he is swinging on his swing eyes 1/2 shut on one leg looking very calm ...I'm so happy for him that he is relaxed ..it is now 7:30 where normally he would be screaming his head off he seems very content ....so today is a great day for him :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's really good news. Sounds as if he is settling down and the things you are doing are working.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well today was a better day ...he screamed this morning only for a lil bit before I fed him ...I fed him ...them he made other noises that I rewarded him but he made them only for awhile ....around lunch time I let him out ...we played abit on his new play stand which he is still abit scared of ..and then he had a bath which he loved...and I haven't heard a scream since ...he had supper around 5:30 and still nothing (knocking on wood) ... he is swinging on his swing eyes 1/2 shut on one leg looking very calm ...I'm so happy for him that he is relaxed ..it is now 7:30 where normally he would be screaming his head off he seems very content ....so today is a great day for him :)
That's great (One step forward. Two steps back :) )

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Glad you had some peace today.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad he seems to be settling down and that you had a good day! I had a cockatoo who would scream every time he wanted a bath, so maybe that might help him to calm down also.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Well we seem to be doing much better during the days ...the screaming has almost stopped during the days ...now if we can get it to do that at night ..once I dim the lights to get ready for bed time like I do for the other birds he starts screaming his lil head off ..so I have taken to just putting him to bed instead of giving him that couple of hours of quiet time to get ready for bed ..he screams for about 5 mins then is quiet for the rest of the night ...which my daughter loves cuz that is when she does her home work ...we are working on not biting when he gets excited which is sort of working but holy cow can he bite ...he does like the radio on during the days and I catch him dancing sometimes ...he is still not to sure about his play stand but he is getting use to it ...all and all I think he is getting use to things around the house and thank god the screaming has lessened ..I was really getting worried about him but I think his stress level is down allot so we are all happy about that :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Even after more than a decade, T&A both still put up a fuss after lights out for 10 minutes. Just like toddlers.

You can expect and should actually "encourage" a good screamfest for 5-15 minutes before bed when they are going to scream their head off anyway. This is when they sing the song of their people. :)

12 hours of undisturbed restful sleep is really important. A very dark room with a pretty loud source of "white noise" will provide that. A big air filter on high right beside the cage achieves that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Goffin's also screams for about 5-10 mins. when I turn off the lights at bedtime whereas my Bare-eyed screams if I wait too long to turn off the lights and will then continue screaming for about 5 mins once the lights are turned off. Generally if I say "Goodnight" to them again they will stop sooner.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Like John said sometimes they are like toddlers and get cranky and noisy when they figure out bed time is coming. Nerd went in when he was ready, Lurch hated bed time and would fidget and run back out if he saw us coming, Dobby has decided bed time will happen whether he likes it or not. At first he would fly all over and try to stay high but after a while he started letting us pick him up, maybe fly away once to someplace easy to reach and allow us to put him to bed. Grabbing a toe helps and we always tell him he's a good boy and give him his favorite healthy cracker has a treat.
Try to make it something good that he'll look forward to will help but sounds like you two are already coming to a understanding :dance4: