• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got home with new GCC

NutMeg1987

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Margaret
We just got home with our new GCC. We weren’t expecting to pick him up until later in the week so I had to scramble a little. So far, he prefers perching on my shoulder over being in his cage. I’m good with that, but how long should I give him before putting him back in his cage?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird! It's a judgment call. I always like to give a bird time to explore and get comfortable in his/her new cage before it gets dark/too close to bedtime.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:congratualtions:On your new fid!

It's good that he is already comfortable with you, and great to spend one on one time but I'd say to only spend as much time in the very beginning, as you'll pretty much always be able to spend. Because once they get used to a schedule they will come to always expect it. So don't spend like 6 hours with him on your shoulder if you can't do close to that often. Just spend some time and then try to let him get used to things and learn to entertain himself a little

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! I completely agree with what was written above.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations! That’s cute that he already wants to hang out with you.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
:congratualtions:On your new fid!

It's good that he is already comfortable with you, and great to spend one on one time but I'd say to only spend as much time in the very beginning, as you'll pretty much always be able to spend. Because once they get used to a schedule they will come to always expect it. So don't spend like 6 hours with him on your shoulder if you can't do close to that often. Just spend some time and then try to let him get used to things and learn to entertain himself a little

Yup all the way to this. You don’t want to get your new fid used to something you won’t be able to continue.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! Pictures please...agree with all above and get him started on toys to keep him occupied.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!