• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just bought a betta, and people should be ashamed...

KenDRAGON

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kendra
Okay, i can definitely see the reason in that. I always recommended to my customers to move them up into filtered tanks, either way, if not for the fact that its obviously beneficial but because they just plain look nicer in them. I honestly haven't kept a betta in like...3 years or so, so maybe i'm just rusty on my fish know-how. To be honest i never really thought much of temperature with my bettas and the ones i had lived for so long i never really thought about it too hard and in the end i bumped them up to tanks anyway.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay, i can definitely see the reason in that. I always recommended to my customers to move them up into filtered tanks, either way, if not for the fact that its obviously beneficial but because they just plain look nicer in them. I honestly haven't kept a betta in like...3 years or so, so maybe i'm just rusty on my fish know-how. To be honest i never really thought much of temperature with my bettas and the ones i had lived for so long i never really thought about it too hard and in the end i bumped them up to tanks anyway.
It's an ever changing hobby, just like birds :D

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
I still think a whole 5 gallon set up for one fish is kind of excessive and unnecessary(I've seen little square 3 gallons that are perfect for a table or countertop) but I'm willing to agree to disargee:o:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I think a 3 is still good. I mean that goes back to while yes a 5 gallon is ideal a 3 gallon is still safe and won't stunt the fish's growth as long as you're keeping up with water changes :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We just needed Erica to be a mediator :lol:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Hahaha you guys are crazy! Just saying! :lol:

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
Well, the tank I bought is 1 gallon with a filtration system, and my betta, who went from a sickly flesh color to a reddish brown after being placed at first in an actual betta keeper I had is doing just fine.:) His tail, which looked rather raggedy, seems to be filling out, and he enjoyed some freeze-dried bloodworms I spotted today. This fish has three kinds of betta food, which I feed alternately.

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I've had several bettas before and the one I just got is actually in a 1.5g I believe which is WAY too small! I'm about to transfer him to an old tank of mine that's bigger. I was on a fish-related forum once when I had a betta in a 3 gallon and they were telling me off for putting a fish in such a small tank, that you at least need a 5g for one betta. I don't really know what's right; I assume just like we say "bigger is better" with cages, bigger is better with tanks as well?

Cyreen

You may want to buffer the filtration a bit. Sometimes a moving current will stress a betta fish.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I know this is a little bit random as you're on about tank sizes n stuff (even though I'm still glad you took on the fish!), but can you keep them with other fish or is it just males and other males you can't mix?

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
When it comes to bettas, you can't mix them with any other fish, males with males, and males with females some times as well!

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I've seen them in many stores here in with other tropicals and they seemed okay? Hmmm I will look into it more

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Oh, well that's just what I've heard. Let me know what you find out!

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I probably wouldn't unless they're bottom feeder fish or something. Betta's have very tasty looking fins to other fish so I imagine they wouldn't do well with others due to fin nipping. I'm not sure if they are aggressive towards other species though.

paperdragon

I know this is a little bit random as you're on about tank sizes n stuff (even though I'm still glad you took on the fish!), but can you keep them with other fish or is it just males and other males you can't mix?
It depends on the individual betta. Some can live in tanks with peaceful dull-colored tankmates, but when I tried it one of my corydoras catfish lost an eye. Females you can actually keep in groups if you have a good-sized tank with plenty of plants and decorations to provide cover when they squabble and you need absolute minimum of four to diffuse aggression. Plus you still need a backup tank in case one of them is terrorizing the others. Housing bettas with other fish is risky business, and its best not to try it without a backup plan.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the advice :) I'll wait until I can get a little tank for an individual

KenDRAGON

Real Name
Kendra
I've successfully kept male bettas in tanks with docile, not-very-flashy fish. fish like zebra danios, cory cats, and things of the like. I would stay away from any fish with bright colors or a tendency to pick at fins. I just read paperdragon's comment about her cory, so i guess individual does matter but i haven't had that happen before, but i do agree that males/females should be kept together as long as there are multiple females and nice safe places for them to hide. The males tend to like having harems....Men:rolleyes:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Individuals definitely tolerate different things. I had one in with a bunch of swordtails and never had an issue, but when he died and I put a new one in, it was a totally different story and he had to be separated! I do agree that they can get along with other fish, but I stay away from:

Female bettas
Other labyrinth fishes (ex: gouramis)
Fin nippers (ex: barbs)
Similar sized bright fish
Aggressive fish like cichlids, including angelfish

Carley

Real Name
Carley
I know a ton of people who have male betta's in tropical tanks.
Like others have said.. Stay away from fin nippers, aggressive fish and guppies!! A lot of betta's will fight with guppies due to looking similar and flowing.

I have seen a few aquariums where there were multiple female betta's with other fish, they're usually okay together and they seem to be fine in community tanks :)

Don't put a male and female betta together - they will fight and only should be put together for breeding.