• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just Adopted a 2nd Cat from the HS

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sorry Dex did not work out. It happens. I am sure there are other older cats out there who can fill the bill. Keep looking for Christine's new pride resident.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks Lois. My yoga instructed has many cats that live on her small farm. There are always kittens but she does get the females spayed for free because most but not all are feral. I could have any one of the kittens but may be asking for more problems. Not sure. The kitten moms seem to gravitate to be home while pregnant and have the babies under a porch.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Taking in a kitten born feral is not as difficult to "tame" as you think they may be. All but three of my current cats were born feral and tamed by me into pets over a one and one-half month period when I got them. I used the method I told you about, locking the weaned kittens into a spare bedroom and slowly taming them by feeding them and spending between one and two hours per day with them. I sat on the bed, reading and "ignoring" the curious kittens as they came out from under the bed and ate their food. After eating, the kittens would then check me out from the floor, later from the end of the bed. I would slowly go from ignoring them completely, to talking to them, then playing with a string with a toy tied on the end, then offering treats from the hand and eventually they would come to me one by one until at the end of between thirty and forty days, I would end up with a lap full of sleeping former feral kittens who I could pet at will and who knew their names and what the sound of an opening pack of cat treats sounded like. Still use that sound to call all the cats together to this day; much easier than looking for everyone individually!

If your friend with the ferals would allow it, you could interview the kittens right now as they grow.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you talking about Christine? I do not have the cat Dex any more. Thanks so much. Let me take some more photos of her today and I will post them here for you to choose from.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wish you lived closer. There's a really nice stray tiger cat I've been feeding. I'm not quite sure what to do with her. I'd love to find her a home. If not, as the weather gets colder I may have to take her to the shelter....... Better there than in the freezing cold.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
For sure better in a shelter than outdoors where they can catch diseases, be injured by a predator or suffer in bad weather. Thanks for feeding her. I have sent a response on a CL ad Heidi- The Most Gorgeous Long-Haired, Petite Lovebug! I am going to be very careful about the history of a kitty this time.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck. I hope you get her.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Aw, I'm sorry things did not work out with Dex!

Christine is stunning! :heart: