• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just Adopted a 2nd Cat from the HS

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I read on FB that our local humanes society shelter is overrun with cats and dogs and they are putting out a plea for adopters and lowering the fee. I only have one 13 year old kitty so I went to look at the ones that need homes today. Oh gosh there were so many. I spent time with a senior male kitty that looks much like my female. He is 7 years old and came to the shelter from a hoarding situation. The only scar he has is that his side is shaved because of mats in the hair. He is not home with me yet. Application is pending approval but I was at my vet buying more food when the call came in. The vet gave me a good reference. The hoarder named him Max which sounds like a dog and the shelter named him poindexter which is awful. So I am going to call him Dex. He has been through a lot of stuff in his life but here it will be quiet and comfy once the two cats have settled in with eachother. He is a quiet, laid back old man so he should fit in well because my lady cat is the same way. Here is his photo:

8572bffe-2c99-4d0a-bedf-106a4e65e7ce.jpg

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful boy :)

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
An animal shelter I know of was still running their add for free cat adoptions last I checked, the entire month of August. Not sure if they extended it into September. This is the time of year where plenty of kittens and an over-run of cats come in the shelters. I'm at my max, but for anyone who has the room, adopt ;)

Dex is gorgeous! :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They will adopt out kitties to us seniors for 50 percent less so it was $25. for me. I Wil do everything in my power to make up for what e has been through. He will be a happy cat.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
He's stunning! :xflove:

I agree, two cats really are not much harder to manage then one. I can't imagine having just my male or female cat, they both add so much to my life.

I wish you many wonderful years with Dex!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's very handsome. Congrats!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Do you plan on putting him in quarantine when he arrives? It really is a great idea for two reasons. First of all, it allows your female to "discover" the new cat and get used to his scent and his presence in a neutral room; while he gets calmer and more used to the new smells and situations in your home, reducing his stress. I use a vacant room or the bathroom, depending on what is available. Second, it keeps your resident female from getting any low grade infections or problems he is carrying. He should be quarantined at least until he is cleared by your vet, but I have had cats isolated from one week to as many as 45 days, depending on their origin and their health status.

Dex looks like a really nice cat. I love laid back kitties. He is so cute. One of my last rescue cats is Lillen IMG_20140728_192946.jpg , picture enclosed.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He's such a good looking cat!! Thanks for giving him a great home. I think Dex is a better name for him too. :congratualtions:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Lois your advice is excellent. This cat was already tested for contagious diseases per the shelter manager. But with his background anything is possible. The only room possible is the bedroom for him but my resident cat sleeps with me. Litter boxes in bathroom. I can move a litter box to bedroom. I will also ask what he was tested for. I am compiling a list of questions. Guess I should consider my kitty not sleeping in bedroom for a few nights. That way he will smell her and be curious. Thanks again everyone. This will be my last animal adoption/rescue.
I am 74 and that is why I wanted an older cat.

Dex was 12 pounds when he first arrived at the shelter. Last weighed in July and he was 9 pounds. He feels thin too. Cats at this shelter are fed well but they are nervous with all the activity around them. This a topic for my vet to address.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am now 66 and I understand why you wanted an older cat. I worry about what will happen to my cats and birds if something happens to me. If your resident kitty sleeps with you, I would not keep him in the bedroom; resident kitty will think you are abandoning her and be aggressive toward your cat. Put a litter pan in your bedroom for your resident female and keep your new male cat in the bathroom for at least three days. Your female will know a new cat is in the house and will sniff him out under the door to the bathroom, getting used to his scent. You also need to spend at least an hour per day in the bathroom with him and get his scent ON YOU so she can smell him when she sniffs you. That evidence says INCLUSION in the cat pride.

When you let him out of the bathroom, he may not leave it right away. He will see the bathroom as his territory in the house and the rest of the house as your resident female's territory. He may even defend the bathroom, his litter pan and his food and water dishes from her: but I doubt that since the shelter says he was in a cat hoarding situation. He will probably adjust better than your resident female cat because he was used to sharing litter pans and food/water dishes. Your resident cat is not used to that and I would not force her to accept Dex, just let them both work it out. If your female hisses and rebuffs Dex, just be patient. Refer to Dex as (female cat's name)friend. Link the two names together, pet both cats at the same time if you have the opportunity and talk to them both. Try not to favor one over the other, but give each cat whatever physical and mental attention they ask for individually.

I hope the integration of Dex goes well. It can sometimes be rocky adding a cat to a home. I have done it at least 30 times; I had a large number of cats back in the 1990s. Good luck and enjoy your Dex.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a handsome fella. One of the HS near us offers a discount on senior kitties and for adopting more than one. The next to the last cat we adopted was free. She was 9 yrs old and had been at the HS shelter over 3 months.