• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just a warning. Outdoor time, even in cage, can be dangerous

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Wow ! never know what dangers lurk. For sure it's a jungle out their, survival of the fittest, Natures mantra . :scared2:

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've known about the hawks afor a long time and it isn't just related to pet birds being outside. This also applies to Guinea pigs and bunnies that are put outside because if they are outside in an open pen they run the risk of just being swooped up and taken. We used to put our GP out in his enclosed cage and we always knew when there was a hawk around because he'd freeze and start staring at the sky. The same happened with the tiels and gccs when we put them out on the deck in their full size cages. If everyone went quiet I'd go outside and check the skies and our kitchen window faced the deck so I always had an idea of what was in our yard.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Wow! I keep playing it over and looking at the bars on the cage - I would have never thought a hawk that size could get through.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Wow! I keep playing it over and looking at the bars on the cage - I would have never thought a hawk that size could get through.
I think the hawk may have landed on the top of the cage and the door popped open outwards like a drawbridge which left the cage open.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Little kittens & puppies also at risk. Red tail hawks in my neck of the woods,.
I have red tails nesting 2 doors down, as well as having Cooper's and some smaller hawks/falcons zipping through the garden. My fids may all be people raised but boy, do they recognize danger when they see it. Everyone hits a panic button and go from the bay window on the East side of the house to the bird room on the West side of the house (which has a hedge about 5-6 feet from the house) so the bird room is not clearly visible to outdoor birds.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
If he saw them from a height, he might have come down in strike mode and hit the cage just right to "pop" the door. Unfortunately he got the nicer one ...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW..thats crazy ..not letting my guys out until I have better outside cages ..and watch watch watch :cautious:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if my 2 go outside, it's only if I am right there. if I go into the house for any reason, they come with me. we have nest of eagles in the area. I see mama & papa cruising the creek quite often, looking for mallards and their ducklings. those eagles are super HUGE, they have landed on my deck rail and couple of times. plus we have huge flock of crows too.