• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just a quick question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny

Strolling the yard
I just have a quick question for anyone who knows anything about this. I am getting a new camera soon, I am pretty sure that I will be getting the Nikon d3000 :dance5:. The cheapest place that I could find to buy it new was amazon.com for $450. Then I found this website that has it refurbished with the kit lens for $390: here. It says that it is used but you have to email them to find out the condition, I did and they said it has been refurbished to factory standards, or something like that.. I know this website is good. I found other places to buy it refurbished without the kit lens but I want the kit lens, because it seems like a good starter lens, even if it isn't very good quality. I don't know very much about photography but I am trying to learn. I am just wondering if you guys think that it would be better to get the new one or get the refurbished one for $60 less?

danny

Strolling the yard
Oh, I just noticed that if I get it refurbished, all it comes with is the body and kit lens. No battery, strap, charger, anything.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Ekk. I'd go with the new one, personally.

danny

Strolling the yard
Yeah, thats what I am thinking now that I found out the refurb doesn't have any accessories.

danny

Strolling the yard
Does anyone have any experience buying a dslr or other camera from amazon? Their return policy doesn't look very good. I know amazon is a great site and I buy a lot of stuff there, but I have never had to return anything, and if I needed to and couldn't, that would be a bummer.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I would buy the new one.
amazon.com is great! I returned a Nikon D40 with no problems.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I just have a quick question for anyone who knows anything about this. I am getting a new camera soon, I am pretty sure that I will be getting the Nikon d3000 :dance5:. The cheapest place that I could find to buy it new was amazon.com for $450. Then I found this website that has it refurbished with the kit lens for $390: here. It says that it is used but you have to email them to find out the condition, I did and they said it has been refurbished to factory standards, or something like that.. I know this website is good. I found other places to buy it refurbished without the kit lens but I want the kit lens, because it seems like a good starter lens, even if it isn't very good quality. I don't know very much about photography but I am trying to learn. I am just wondering if you guys think that it would be better to get the new one or get the refurbished one for $60 less?
I personally would never buy any used or refurbished electronics, unless (maybe) it came with all the same accessories as a new one with the same guarantee. Fifteen % is not enough of a discount IMO. I would definitely purchase the new one.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
I would go with the new one. I would also look into some package deals from Best Buy or B&H Photo to see if it might be a little cheaper.

Faen

Hit the Road
I have a d3000 and i would recommend going with a new one too..... with the kit lens as well, unless you plan on buying another lens right away.... Sometimes they have deals though where it comes with another lens. I was going to go for a deal where it came with the kit lens and another lens but the other lens didn't have the VR, which i wanted.

But whatever, the d3000 is a really good camera. I recommend it, its also really easy to use. Also since it's Nikon you'll be getting the better lenses. :) ......IMO

Oh also if you wanted, you could look into the d40... the d3000 and d40 are very similar, of course the d3000 has some updated features and is a little smaller in size, but its still a good camera. Also since it's an older model it would be cheaper and you coud put the other money towards a decent lens.

Last edited:

Faen

Hit the Road
I personally would never buy any used or refurbished electronics, unless (maybe) it came with all the same accessories as a new one with the same guarantee. Fifteen % is not enough of a discount IMO. I would definitely purchase the new one.
My computer was refurbished but it was a good deal because it came with an extended warranty for free and a bunch of other fancy stuff. :)

It depends.... if your going to have to put in added money into it hat will end up making it more expensive or the same price if you were to buy a new one, then it's not worth it. Sometimes you can get a good deal though.

danny

Strolling the yard
Ok, thanks everybody for your input! I will make sure and post pictures if/ when I get it. AJ- I looked into package deals and the only one that looked like it might be worth it is one with a 55-200mm (I thinks) lens and the kit lens, plus a bag, some dvds about the camera, and the regular accessories. Do you think that it would be worth it to get the extra lens and stuff for $650 instead of $450? Is the 55-200mm lens worth having?

Status
Not open for further replies.