1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Just a heads up about field mice- Warning: Graphic Images

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by StephFaunce, 7/18/18.

1. StephFaunce

StephFaunce Meeting neighbors

3wks ago I had a snake under my aviary so I removed it. Inside my aviary was a tiny mouse hiding from it, eating what he thought was his last supper! What I didn't know was that it was my baby pigeon The next day i saw my birds skull!

2. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

:cry3::sorrow: Birds need to be high up & have to figure a way to keep out the mice

Snake will eat the mice but also will eat the baby bird...

Ankou, faislaq, Hankmacaw and 2 others like this.
  3. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    :omg:That’s awful. I’m so sorry for your loss. It looks like you have some work to do asap on your aviary.

hrafn and faislaq like this.
  4. StephFaunce

Their nest boxes are off the ground. KINDLE_CAMERA_1515002790000.jpg

faislaq likes this.
  5. StephFaunce

35557965_10209335572265807_6908572977151868928_n.jpg 35557965_10209335572265807_6908572977151868928_n.jpg 35760913_10209335605866647_9004966112265240576_n.jpg this is how I found her

6. StephFaunce

I did not lose her though she's still with us! This is from the other day 36889517_10209446588561145_8207605060100685824_o.jpg

7. AngelPeaks

AngelPeaks Meeting neighbors

Rebekah
    Oh no! Did you take her to the vet?

8. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    Oh thank heavens she's still alive! Not at all what I was picturing from your description, though still very sad. And to think you thought you were saving that poor helpless mouse not knowing it was a monster! :depressed: At least you'll know to remove both trespassers next time!

Can you think of any way to make the aviary pest-proof or at least resistant? Both of those intruders can climb.

9. Aviana

Aviana Strolling the yard

OMG!!! How awful and shocking. I am glad the baby will be okay.

hrafn and faislaq like this.
  10. StephFaunce

I am the process of making a bigger one. This one has flooring but some of the wood warped. The new one is not going to have flooring in it but I am going to use garden clothe and the walls are going to be about a foot and a half in the ground. I want there to be forage this time

11. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    Oh my, I thought she had passed. I’m so glad she’s okay, poor little bird!

faislaq likes this.
  12. StephFaunce

My friend that works with wildlife rehabilitation, specifically birds, told me to flush the wound to clean it up and to put antibiotic ointment on there and keep it moist so an abscess didn't form.

faislaq, ConureTiel and Tiel Feathers like this.
  13. Sylvester

Sylvester Rollerblading along the road

A mouse did that?! I knew they could get into grain and food but didn't know they were aggressive. Glad you got to your baby bird in time and that she is going to be alright.

faislaq, Shezbug and Brittany0208 like this.
  14. Sylvester

faislaq likes this.
  15. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Its healing well so maybe it got lucky as its the bacteria that kills them not the wound itself.

faislaq likes this.
  16. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Suburb of Chicago.Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
    Sandra
    Mice will eat, anything, and I do mean ANYTHING. A young bird would be great as a meal. Most urban critters are like mice.

faislaq, Shezbug and Sylvester like this.
  17. Trevor Jeffs

Trevor Jeffs Meeting neighbors

Trevor Jeffs
    Mice will even eat other mice

18. Sylvester

I knew big brother 'rat' would eat anything it can outrun, didn't know that about mice. Thank you for telling me.

faislaq and SandraK like this.
  19. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Suburb of Chicago.Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
    Sandra
    One of the houses we lived in had 2 basements and I found the mice had tried to eat the Brillo pads ...

faislaq and Sylvester like this.
  20. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

The mice need to go, however you can do it. We had mice at Liberty wildlife years ago, they would come at night and kill our orphans, we found many headless, babies and babies that look like your pidge. They chewed through thru the soft wire on the encloses and thru the " rubbermaid " containers we kept the tiny babies in..we killed them,,sorry, but, baby songbirds, kestrel, hummingbirds are way more important to us..

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)