• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

just 1 question (yet :P)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
They are quite high in sugar-so I would not give much at a time!

I would not give them the peel or any outside part. The meat is fine.

They are grown in Hawaii and the fields are sprayed VERY HEAVILY and there have been lots of problems with the schools and homes nearby the pineapple fields having poisoned water.

The pineapple plant is one of the bromeliad family, which are on the "safe" list. I believe the bromeliads grow on trees in most rain forests, and are something the bird would run into in his native habitat.

Also:
Safe Fruits & Vegetables
Some of the fruits: that can be given to Your birds are apple, banana, orange, tangerine, raisins, apples, pear, currants, strawberries, apricots,* fresh pineapple*, blackberries, mulberries, loganberries, lemons, dates, rasberries, grapefruit, juniper berries, cranberries, cherries(NO PITS), blueberries, kiwi fruit, grapes, gooseberries, rowan berries, mandarins, melon, peaches(NO PITS), plums, rose hips, hawthorn berries, wild elderberries and figs. Too much fruit can also cause loose droppings

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I give only as a special treat, not an everyday part of their diets.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I don't think I have ever given pineapple probably because I dont' care for it myself. lol

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Here is the nutritional value for Pineapple:)
Pineapple, raw Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz) Energy 202 kJ (48 kcal) Carbohydrates 12.63 g Sugars 9.26 g Dietary fiber 1.4 g Fat 0.12 g Protein 0.54 g Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.079 mg (6%) Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.031 mg (2%) Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.489 mg (3%) Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.205 mg (4%) Vitamin B6 0.110 mg (8%) Folate (Vit. B9) 15 μg (4%) Vitamin C 36.2 mg (60%) Calcium 13 mg (1%) Iron 0.28 mg (2%) Magnesium 12 mg (3%) Manganese 0.9 mg (45%) Phosphorus 8 mg (1%) Potassium 115 mg (2%) Zinc 0.10 mg (1%) Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults. This is the Values for Humans!

Status
Not open for further replies.