• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Judy has Asper!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
And I'm extremely happy to hear it. :D I know for most people, it's a terrible diagnosis. For Judy, since it was at the point of causing neurological issues, it was the best case scenario. So far, both test for asper had come back negative. We went in today to get blood drawn for a titer. If you remember the epic rhinoliths the first few days I had Judy, they were the key. They were still in her records and when I brought her records to Dr. Doolen, I took them too. Toward the end of our visit he mentioned them and looked at them under a microscope. He said you can see the fungus and yeast in the rhinoliths. So, 2 1/2 months ago when I first took Judy to the vet, if they'd just looked at the rhinoliths under a microscope, we could potentially have avoided a seizure and nearly $1000 in testing. They never bothered to look at them or test them at all. I am so happy to finally have a thorough vet. We're still waiting to find out what the bacteria is that she has. It's growing in the culture, but not enough to identify. We still submitted the titer to get a baseline, but Judy does have asper. The first vet gave her an antifungal, but it wasn't one used to treat asper. The nebulizer meds were, but they were only for two weeks. Judy's now on terbinafine (lamisil) until she's better and will be getting an antibiotic soon. My sweet birdie is on her way to recovery :dance5:

In related news, I ordered a double macaw cage for the CAGs last month. It was on backorder, then I didn't know if I wanted to move them into the same cage in case Judy was contagious. I talked to Dr. Doolen about it and we have the go ahead for the new cage:dance4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First post ever that is "hooray for asper!" but at least you have a diagnosis and can treat that poor lovely girl properly now :dance5::dance4:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Finally, a diagnosis-something to fight! I am happy for you and glad that it isn't her heart. Prayers that she overcomes this asap!:hug8:

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:hug8::hug8:Happy you finally got some answers. Hope your baby is on her way to being healthy.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I owe so many thanks to everyone on this board for their support and advice. I owe many, many thanks to Kathy for recommending Dr. Doolen, gently, but on more than one occasion. :hug8:

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:hug8:I'm so happy you have a diagnosis!

Now, a speedy recovery for Miss Judy. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That's amazing!!! I'm so glad that Judy will be getting the meds that she needs and will be on the road to recovery! She's a lucky lady to have found you!

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
So glad Judy's trials are almost over. She sounds like she deserves a break. :dance4:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
:bliss:I'm so glad you guys have a diagnosis and can start treatment! I agree with you, asper is easy compared to the alternatives. Thank god Dr. Doolen is on top of things so Judy can get healthy now!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Glad you have a diagnosis! Now get better Judy!!!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many many prayers still on the way for Judy..at least you know what you are fighting now.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Oh, poor baby! I am also glad that at least now both of you have something to fight, and a way to fight it. Asper is dangerous but at least there's hope -- I concur that I'd rather that diagnosis than some kind of serious neurological problem, PDD, ABV, PBFD....Judy has fought hard for a long time if those rhinoliths were so icky, and that means she WANTS to fight. Hopefully she will overcome this and live many, happy years to be drowned in your love and appreciation and adoration!

I will keep all my fingers and toes and limbs crossed for Judy!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Judy, you get better>:hug8:

qmichelle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad it was identified, and that it wasn't anything worse. Now, hopefully the road to recovery has begun!

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Finally! Yay Judy! Now you both have something definite to fight!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:I hope it's smooth sailing moving forward..

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best wishes for a quick recovery :hug8:

southernbirds

What a relief to know what you are dealing with regarding Judy's health. Now she will be on the road to recovery. Yey!

Status
Not open for further replies.