• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jordan is being nasty

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
About a month ago Jordan started biting me whenever I tried to change her food and water. I didn't mind until she started getting under my nails. 2 weeks ago Jordan started getting under my finger nails, drawing blood. It was painful, so I started wearing gloves to change the food and water. Jordan was not scared of the gloves, she continued to bite, but I couldn't feel it. Opal was scared of the gloves, so I ended up separating them. I didn't want to scare the birds, I just wanted to protect my fingers. Jordan has been getting worse and worse. At first she would give a quick nip, now she won't let go. Once she bites, it will take a lot to get her to let go. I don't know why Jordan started biting, nothing changed to cause her to behave like this. She had her yearly check up last week, she's got a clean bill of health, maybe she's hormonal.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
One of my lovebird girls really doesn't like me in her cage, either. Do you let her out? I usually just get her in the bathroom after making sure the lid is down and she can't get at anything toxic, then do my changes while she's in there taking a bath.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Do you think she is feeling hormonal? It's spring, mine are molting and bitey and cranky..........but NOT tired, LOL.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's either that or she's just up and decided she doesn't want hands in her cage, though it could very easily be the hormones. Yen bit me today for the first time in months. If it isn't hormons, imho, it's nothing to truly worry about, it's just your girl doing the birb equivalent of telling her mom to stay out of her room.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
One of my lovebird girls really doesn't like me in her cage, either. Do you let her out? I usually just get her in the bathroom after making sure the lid is down and she can't get at anything toxic, then do my changes while she's in there taking a bath.
She's out of her cage on a daily basis like the rest of my flock, In the afternoons and evenings. She doesn't bite has hard while out of the cage. She is my only fully flighted bird. My other 3 still have clipped wings, they are molting though. This is the first time Jordan has had all of her flight feathers. Because of this, she spends more time out of the cage than the others because I can't get her back into the cage. She then turns in into a game of catch me if you can.

Do you think she is feeling hormonal? It's spring, mine are molting and bitey and cranky..........but NOT tired, LOL.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was hormonal. My cockatiels are hornomal, and Opal, well, she's always hormonal. So all of my birds are hormonal?
Their hormonal, molting, and driving me crazy!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Hah, I get that all the time with my birds. What I do is make sure everyone's on their perches and go 'Alright, it's bedtime' to warn them that the light's going off. Guzma and Mims realize that the weird person who cleans up their poop means business and usually wait to be picked up and snuggled or step up. Triss is usually in her cage already because she is a very polite young lady, then I gotta go fish Yen out from under the dressers and up the stairs, at which point she doesn't want to go un until she either gets a piece of spinach or hears me scratching at her favourite thing. Yen also likes crawling into bags, so I use that to my advantage.

And thennnnn there's Geralt. He'd rather sleep in the play condominiums I have set up than sleep in a cage He likes to pretend he doesn't recognize the step-up stick and nyoom around the room until he's ready for bed.

Good luck with Jordan. :p I hope you'll find an easy trick like I did with Yen.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I went to a parrot class a couple months ago, and the instructor talked about training your parrot to stay in one place when you had to change food/water etc. Kind of like a form of target training. Maybe you could try something like that.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I went to a parrot class a couple months ago, and the instructor talked about training your parrot to stay in one place when you had to change food/water etc. Kind of like a form of target training. Maybe you could try something like that.
That is what I would suggest too.

Henkie is male and not caged, but he still doesn’t like me touching his stuff when he is using it:laugh: At least, not when he is a bit worked up:shy: