• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

JoJo surprised me!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Anytime my hand got in the way of his food i would get a big bite. I would firmly say "you are NOT going to bite me!". Well as of this week he is gently beaking my hand and not chomping down! I forgot to say "good JoJo" !! Well tomorrow I will!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Good JoJo! My female crimson "Scarlette" is particularly nasty about getting her veggies. I point at her and make her back off so I don't get bitten.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Good JoJo! My female crimson "Scarlette" is particularly nasty about getting her veggies. I point at her and make her back off so I don't get bitten.
Jackson my quaker is cage territorial. Today I found myself saying "wait" "wait" and reached in and did whatever. And he actually waited! lol! I'll try the pointing trick if "wait" gets old!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Jackson my quaker is cage territorial. Today I found myself saying "wait" "wait" and reached in and did whatever. And he actually waited! lol! I'll try the pointing trick if "wait" gets old!
As many times as I say "Just a minute" to Henry, you'd think he'd be saying that by now. I definitely don't point at him ... he considers pointing a threat. He's also used to me saying " Excuse me" when I want him to move out of the way. He doesn't say that either but has a very snarky teenager "Whaaaat!" down pat! Scarlette has bitten me only one time when I was giving her food ( A hole and blood). Her actions are clear in biting so I make her wait until I'm clear with my hands. It's more like holding my finger pointed up and not pointing directly at her... just so she's clear that I'm not inviting a bite on my finger. Sometimes I will hold a vegetable and let her take a bite first. When she takes a bite of the veggie it's a territorial grab at it... nothing polite about it whatsoever!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Excellent!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Good boy Jojo!!

I'm always telling Rupert to "hold your horses" because if there's food coming, he will make a beeline to get to it. Often times I'll have to have him step up on to a perch so I can safely put his food in and then set him down so he can go eat. I swear one of these days he'll get it. :wacky: I can't put food in if you're gonna bite me.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau used to hate me going in his cage. Had quite a few near misses but no hits to this day.
I learned to tell him what I was doing before I open his cage and while I'm inside. So it's either"water", "chop chop", or "millet time" and he does move out of the way. He still winds up for the lunge but well out of the way.
Everything else I can do from outside.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wait, wait, hold your horses, just a minute, lol. I love it. Thank goodness I am able to give Gigi her food from the outside. Her cage is hers!
Months ago someone with an Amazon (?) posted that when their bird is aggressive, they say "I'll come back when it's more convenient" :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Wait, wait, hold your horses, just a minute, lol. I love it. Thank goodness I am able to give Gigi her food from the outside. Her cage is hers!
Months ago someone with an Amazon (?) posted that when their bird is aggressive, they say "I'll come back when it's more convenient" :)
I say something similar when the bird is uhh... busy. :rofl: