• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Joey is nippy this week

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is a good thing that he is trained to use the T-stick.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have to do this with Jon's grey, Smokey...unless we are in a different room other than his cage, then he's more than happy to step up for me and not chomp me!:)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
What is a T stick (other than exactly what it sounds like)? Can you attach a picture? Based on your posts, I am picturing a training/safety tool. Basicly a stick with a T on end to use as a perch to get a bitey bird to step up? Is that right or am I way off and just not understanding what you're talking about? Thanks!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What is a T stick (other than exactly what it sounds like)? Can you attach a picture? Based on your posts, I am picturing a training/safety tool. Basicly a stick with a T on end to use as a perch to get a bitey bird to step up? Is that right or am I way off and just not understanding what you're talking about? Thanks!
You nailed it!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
IMG_1278.JPG
@Atomiklan
Joey's T-stick
You are absolutely correct on its purpose. I try make situations a win-win outcome.
I do need to extend the handle though!

Last edited:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Sounds frustrating. Something I guess I will have to get used to if I get a bird. Like getting a dog with the expectation that it will more than occasionally bite you lol... Doesn't sound pleasant.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
It is a great tool to help you transport your bird in a way that you won't get hurt and if you reward him with a treat even better. The treat can be a nugget of walnut or a window view.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I bought one...........for those cranky moody hormonal days ( not me, the birds!) Ha Ha!
But I really want to take the time to learn my birds body language so I can avoid most of those "bites".

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Like getting a dog with the expectation that it will more than occasionally bite you lol.
You can't compare that to each other. A dog that bite is aggressive, a bird that bite is trying to tell you something, bite for protection, or testing the limits. (most hormonal)
When a dog bites you it is always wrong, when a bird bites you it's their normal way to communicate, (just look at them in the wild) and that's why it's not wrong in the same way and therefor you should never react in a bad way when they bite you. Instead ask yourself what you did wrong.
And to get a bite is something that you must expect if you own a parrot. And after just hope that you did learn and avoid that situation next time.
To use a T-stick is one way to avoid that.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I think we need a video of you Uber'n him around on this T stick... :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

If you've got a big bird. You're going to need a bigger stick. I sandpaper the top to keep nails groomed.
IMG_2181.jpg

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I think we need a video of you Uber'n him around on this T stick... :)
@Atomiklan

I will work on that.
Just that when Joey sees my iPhone or iPad , he wants to watch youTube and will try to get up onto it.....

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
You can't compare that to each other. A dog that bite is aggressive, a bird that bite is trying to tell you something, bite for protection, or testing the limits. (most hormonal)
When a dog bites you it is always wrong, when a bird bites you it's their normal way to communicate, (just look at them in the wild) and that's why it's not wrong in the same way and therefor you should never react in a bad way when they bite you. Instead ask yourself what you did wrong.
And to get a bite is something that you must expect if you own a parrot. And after just hope that you did learn and avoid that situation next time.
To use a T-stick is one way to avoid that.
Dogs also bite as a way to communicate they don't like what you're doing. They will usually use body subtle body language (that humans don't notice, just like with parrots!)to tell us to back off, like moving away from a person, averting their eyes, if that doesn't work, growling. But if you ignore all those signs, then just like a parrot a dog will bite.
There is fear aggression, food guarding, protecting their perceived mate, many of the same reasons parrots bite.

Last edited: