• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

JLCribber, water source dilemma!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah. So, I can't take the bowl away entirely right? That was my next question. When he's in the office cage, he goes to a LOT of trouble (climb down, go across, climb up) to dunk every bit of his food. So this is important to him and maybe to his well-being.

Sorry now I'm hijackng.

My guys make soup. It's completely disgusting but that's how they like to eat. My guys dunk, soak or even swirl pellets while they eat. In fact, I have a few birds that won't eat certain pellets unless they have wet them. I change the water often, I know their food times and change some of them 4-5 times a day. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

My guys make soup. It's completely disgusting but that's how they like to eat. My guys dunk, soak or even swirl pellets while they eat. In fact, I have a few birds that won't eat certain pellets unless they have wet them. I change the water often, I know their food times and change some of them 4-5 times a day. :)

I'm gone 9-5 and come home to pale washed out wood squares and pink green or blue water in the dish. Do you think any alcohol remains in the dry wood? Maybe JoJo is getting drunk on the alcohol because he dips it and sips off the drops. I tried plain but they didn't like it, but i'm putting in plain again today!

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I'm gone 9-5 and come home to pale washed out wood squares and pink green or blue water in the dish. Do you think any alcohol remains in the dry wood? Maybe JoJo is getting drunk on the alcohol because he dips it and sips off the drops. I tried plain but they didn't like it, but i'm putting in plain again today!
:bash: That sounds exactly like my guys, they bite of pieces of wood than they go and put it in the water. I come home to pink, blue, green water and a lot of mess however thats just the way it is if I'm home I check water often if I'm working well guess they have to drink the water they have until I get home, little shizzs :heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Some of my birds like to dunk food as well. They have two large bowls of water to dunk into; and sometimes they bathe in it as well! The Birdy Butlers never clog up and stop working unless Sunshine packs her actuator nozzle full of little seeds; and I check for that two to three times a day. The Butlers are cleaned once a day and refilled; the cleaning includes using pipe cleaners to clean the actuator nozzle and make sure the bottle is working correctly. I had to replace the diaphragm in Sunny's BButler because she put a hole in it with one of the sharp edges of a seed. Otherwise, absolutely no problems.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Some of my birds like to dunk food as well. They have two large bowls of water to dunk into; and sometimes they bathe in it as well! The Birdy Butlers never clog up and stop working unless Sunshine packs her actuator nozzle full of little seeds; and I check for that two to three times a day. The Butlers are cleaned once a day and refilled; the cleaning includes using pipe cleaners to clean the actuator nozzle and make sure the bottle is working correctly. I had to replace the diaphragm in Sunny's BButler because she put a hole in it with one of the sharp edges of a seed. Otherwise, absolutely no problems.
do yours have a brass nozzle, Lois?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Yes. The two smallest have brass nozzles and I can adjust the pressure needed to to trip the actuator lever of the valve. The canaries and finches used one without problems. The brass nozzles are just as easily cleaned as the SS ones.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes. The two smallest have brass nozzles and I can adjust the pressure needed to to trip the actuator lever of the valve. The canaries and finches used one without problems. The brass nozzles are just as easily cleaned as the SS ones.
it's the brass i object to. it's listed as a toxic metal.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I can’t wait to see bile acid results and AST values in December after discontinuing the bottle this week. Diet is going well too.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Brass is not a toxic metal. As a matter of fact, brass is used in drinking fountains because it is slightly anti-bacterial. Also, the metal is way too hard for small birds to even mark it. Mine do great with it. I checked with my vet and she approved the use of the brass nozzles with my birds and you know how fussy I am about checking everything with Dr. Stern!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Brass is not a toxic metal. As a matter of fact, brass is used in drinking fountains because it is slightly anti-bacterial. Also, the metal is way too hard for small birds to even mark it. Mine do great with it. I checked with my vet and she approved the use of the brass nozzles with my birds and you know how fussy I am about checking everything with Dr. Stern!
i agree, your birds are too small to scratch the nozzle and ingest the brass!