• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

JLCribber, water source dilemma!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Please advise! I bought a new lixit bottle but the nozzle leaks and the water rains out. JoJo and Chickie will both drink from a bowl but during the day JoJo dips colored wood squares into it and sips the water. It's food coloring but still. He doesn't chew the wood at all. If the bowl isn't there he chews the wood. So I am still using the old nozzles for while I'm gone. He won't chew plain wood. Doesn't play with hanging toys where the wood squares can't be taken off to dip in the water. I don't know what I should do! @JLcribber

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We got a similar bottle of some sort a long time ago and it pretty much doesn't leak. Lurch hated using it but knew it had water and he had drank from it before. Dobby does similar to JoJo but he likes to dunk food to make it easier to swallow. We tried to keep two water bowls available but eventually he makes nasty soup from both but he tended to dunk in one and drink form the other. He does quite happily use the bottle and I think he has realized it has nice fresh water and he can dunk in his other bowl.
Nerd bird used a similar bottle nicely after we got tired of him constantly fouling his water too and he was good about not dumping treat bowls on top so we kept a small bowl up there he could dring from and play with the ice we would ad during the summer. He LOVED cold water and loved playing with the ice cube too.
I can't tell what brand our bottle is but it's small and has a blue cap with the ball bearing to keep it from leaking. The one before it used to leak all the time but this one has done very well, hardly ever leaks and at least the water stays clean.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks Terry, I'll look around and hopefully find your bottle! Ice cubes are a great idea, I've never tried them!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That looks just like it even has the little spring to mount to the bars. If you haven't tried that one give it a shot and see if it works for you, works fine for us and Dobby likes it.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
That looks just like it even has the little spring to mount to the bars. If you haven't tried that one give it a shot and see if it works for you, works fine for us and Dobby likes it.
awesome! thank you!

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I used those for my mice (rodent version), they are very good quality, mine never leaked.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh shoot, that right, now I remember you talking about them before :oops2:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh shoot, that right, now I remember you talking about them before :oops2:
You must have the ss nozzle. It was too hard for JoJo and Chickie to work.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I cannot recommend enough the Birdy Butler line of water bottle. Never leaks, easy to clean and many of the ones designed for smaller birds have adjustable accuaror valves. Great for all sizes of birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is good information @saroj12 . I'll try that one from Amazon too. Rio keeps the nastiest water...and we change it 3-5 times a day, and sometimes he's in the other room (and we change that one 3x a day also). This is good for getting in my Fitbit steps but maybe not so good for the birdie!:laugh:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This is good information @saroj12 . I'll try that one from Amazon too. Rio keeps the nastiest water...and we change it 3-5 times a day, and sometimes he's in the other room (and we change that one 3x a day also). This is good for getting in my Fitbit steps but maybe not so good for the birdie!:laugh:
The clips on the spring to attach the bottle will be a hazard for caiques. I'm thinking of devising something with eyebolts and washers so they can't get to the clips, but most likely then it won't be tight enough. I wonder if my current lixit holder can secure the new bottle.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You know, a little food coloring in the water is not the end of the world. I hate those bottles. Won't use them ever.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hubby is a mechanical engineer-- I'll ask him to devise something.

I hate them too because they can stop up. But I worry about Rio dunking all his food and creating bacteria or other in his water bowl.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hubby is a mechanical engineer-- I'll ask him to devise something.

I hate them too because they can stop up. But I worry about Rio dunking all his food and creating bacteria or other in his water bowl.

I have this major problem with JoJo and Chickie's liver disease. Their water is the only thing different. I've taken the bottle away. Mornings they get lots of waterfilled fresh, so I don't think they drink much food colored water, though JoJo dips and sips :(. Evenings i am home to monitor.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So do you give them several bowls of water at once? And they only dunk in one? I am still learning about this.

I guess I can get 2 of the bottles, so if one malfunctions the other is still working.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My guys would die if they could not dunk pellets. :(
Yeah. So, I can't take the bowl away entirely right? That was my next question. When he's in the office cage, he goes to a LOT of trouble (climb down, go across, climb up) to dunk every bit of his food. So this is important to him and maybe to his well-being.

Sorry now I'm hijackng.