• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Jinka is ILL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artistic Feathers

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jenn
I have had Jinka the Jenday for 1 month.
I rushed her to the Avian vet yesterday.
She was fully weaned and now she is acting like she wants to be handfed. This is odd because she is quite an independent conure. Called the vet this morning. They said she doesn't want to eat and is all fluffed up. Her white blood cell count is up and she is a bit dehydrated.

Any ideas?:confused:

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
I have no idea at all but I still wanted to say I am so sorry that little Jinka is ill. I will be praying for you both.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear about Jinka! Did the vet do stool cultures or a crop swab? Many babies will resort back to handfeeding in a new home or even if not feeling well. I would hope that the vet is going to tube feed her to help build her strength up. Do they have her on meds?

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have no knowledge just that I will pray for the two of you.:hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that she gets better.

Artistic Feathers

Real Name
Jenn
I picked her up September 29th from a private breeder in VA who said she had just weaned then and eating on her own. The vet is currently in the process of running a fecal and blood tests. As I said before this conure is very independent, always tries new things, and loves the explore. When I first got her and should couldn't find me she followed my voice and climbed up two flights of steps, and then ran down the hall until she found me ( conure contact calling the whole time)...

And thank you for your prayers please keep us in your thoughts :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sending positive and healing energy for Jinka.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor Jinka. Prayers coming :hug8:.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Ohno! Sending positive thoughts to Jinka! Sounds like a bacteria infection to me. Hope she is better reall soon!

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I picked her up September 29th from a private breeder in VA who said she had just weaned then and eating on her own. The vet is currently in the process of running a fecal and blood tests. As I said before this conure is very independent, always tries new things, and loves the explore. When I first got her and should couldn't find me she followed my voice and climbed up two flights of steps, and then ran down the hall until she found me ( conure contact calling the whole time)...

And thank you for your prayers please keep us in your thoughts :(
As I am sure you realize, best not to let these guys & gals out of our sight as they always seems to get into trouble, sometimes swallowing things they shouldn't, etc. … Hopefully she didn't swallow any heavy metals, lead or any other harmful substances.

I am also wondering, as Greycloud asked: Is she currently on any meds yet and did the vet rehydrate her and crop feed? Is she still at the vet's office, if so I assume they are keeping her as warm as necessary & crop-feeding her as necessary, etc. ... If not, I hope you will be doing that, safely.

I hope she will be feeling better soon.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
no dear, but healing energies and prayers are on the way.

Artistic Feathers

Real Name
Jenn
Went to visit her yesterday evening around 4pm to 5pm.
Brought her a birdie cupcake, she was not interested but she was trying. I am sure she tried because she knows I am worried and I want her to be better soon. But there hasn't been any real change in her behavior of course it was only the second day she was on medication...

The vet has her in an incubator, they are tube feeding her (which I cannot do) and she is on nystantin.

Going to call the vet here in a few minutes to see how she is doing and if the rest of the test results came back. They seem to think it is a bacterial infection since they saw no fungus going on, but they are going to double check the blood work to make sure.

Thank you everyone for your positive energy, please keep us in your thoughts as I will keep you updated on her status.

--Prince Toasty Buns-- I was concerned that it was a blockage since conures are chewers. I asked the vet for an x-ray but they seem to think this would be pointless because she is having regular bm's...

Last edited:

Artistic Feathers

Real Name
Jenn
So, I spoke with the vet. She is not doing any better, infact she is more lethargic. I am worried in the worst kind of way. They are treating her for fungus with the nystantin. In the previous post the vet tech had told me she didn't have fungus. And they still think it is bacterial. So they are putting her on more meds and waiting on the bloodwork.

I dont get it one day she was fine the next...
I am going to see her later tonight. Wish us the best....

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am worried with you. I'm not sure about insisting on getting an xray because to do it they need to tape their wings to the tray which is really stressful, but I don't think she's strong enough to handle the twilight needed to help her not be scared. Is this an avian vet?

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.