• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java's Vet appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will give it a college-try :) Spinach won't block calcium absorption? And he loves bananas and broccoli florets. He has a cuttlebone but he refuses to use it. Is there a specific brand of mineral block that's more enticing?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@BirdManDan, I'm always on the search for the perfect perch for him since he seems to favor one spot in his cage :)
@sunnysmom I have at least two more vets I could consult, hopefully they've worked with birds and know what a Vasa is. If not, I may have to travel further out of my area, but he's worth it

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Lots of Swiss Chard will block calcium - just don't give it to him everyday.

This is the mineral block I use. The medium size might be a better size for Java. I don't get the flavored ones - just one more thing for jasper to change her mind about once a week. Mineral Block, Large

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And I recommend this:

Calcium high: Almonds and the most green veggies, and green stuff from the outside like dandelions and chickweed. And also herbs. (parsley and dill are very high in calcium)
If you can find dried nettles (they are high in calcium, contain over 70 different nutrients and are antibacterial and anti-inflammatory) use them.
I dry mine myself so you don't need to buy them if you have them near. I and my girls eat them 3-4 times /week.

I know that this new vet is better then the first, but if I where you I would not go back their again.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And I recommend this:

Calcium high: Almonds and the most green veggies, and green stuff from the outside like dandelions and chickweed. And also herbs. (parsley and dill are very high in calcium)
If you can find dried nettles (they are high in calcium, contain over 70 different nutrients and are antibacterial and anti-inflammatory) use them.
I dry mine myself so you don't need to buy them if you have them near. I and my girls eat them 3-4 times /week.

I know that this new vet is better then the first, but if I where you I would not go back their again.
I've never heard of nettles, but I'll look into them and see if Java likes them. And as far as my vet, I still intend to check out the other two in my area and see which would is a better fit for Java and I.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
The reason I say fleece is because he has one foot.
I'm assuming that he sleeps on one foot because it is easier than trying to balance on two at night. The fleece is a cushion for both is bumble foot and his amputated leg, and will give some relief from it.

Fleece in my opinion is safer than other fabric because it doesn't break off in strings. It is also easy to clean and holds up when it comes to wear when being cleaned.

My mother had Pip on fleece for about a month to two months. When his feet started to improve then she moved to vet wrap.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so glad you have been given all this excellent advise. AA people are wonderful. I really like the idea of making a soft comfy sleep place inside the dog crate to take pressure off foot for a while. TNT makes wonderful platform perches.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've known of a few birds that did fine with NO feet/legs so I certainly wouldn't make any assumptions until you see how your guy adapts over time. It sounds like you're doing all of the right things.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
We all have our disabilities.
My neighbor is in a wheel chair.
She lives her life never walking.
I can't imagine but we have to accept what we have & go on.

I'm glad Java found you & you can both teach each other a thing about life & love that some of us learn has nothing to do with looks or how many legs we have...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
At the clinic we have a YNA that is missing toes, Monster's perches are all wrapped with non pilling fleece and vet wrap over the fleece. Monster' s feet were in such bad shape that it's miracle that he only lost 2toes. Another that is soothing is Heal-x soother plus cream by Harrison.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have the manu block. Supposed to be like the amazon clay but I think its manmade. Anyway was on sale at Dr FS for $2.99 (about half price) so I got it...They don;t carry it anymore...I got the last 3. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.