• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java chicks

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have chicks. I knew the Javas had eggs but since it is their first clutch, I didn't really have any hopes. In early March I found an egg in their food dish. I didn't expect them to be breeding due to their young age. On a whim, I put the Java egg in the Society finch nest with the other eggs they had. The next day, there was another egg in the food dish. I put that one in the Society nest as well and then put a nest box in for the Javas. I also changed out the food dish to a clear one. I figured if it was different enough she wouldn't feel safe laying in it and then be forced to use the box. It worked. The next week they had 6 eggs. The female has been in the box almost constantly since then.

A week ago I found a chick at the bottom of the Society cage. I picked it up thinking it was dead, but it started to move, so I put it back in the nest. The next day there was another chick, so I put it back as well. Newly hatched finch chicks look a lot alike, so I wasn't really concerned what it was at the time. I was away for the weekend and my friend who was feeding the birds for me said I should check the nests since their behavior had changed. I checked the Society nest and there was one chick, and one dead chick. I pulled the nest out, removed the other eggs and the dead chick and put it back. The live one is a Java. I also put some Gouldian eggs in there as well. They went right back to sitting and feeding, so hopefully the chick has a good chance of surviving. I checked the Java nest as well, and there are 3 chicks in there. They tossed one egg, and the other two don't look fertile, so I'm going to leave them there for now. I'm not sure how they would take to having the nest disturbed that much. They don't seem to mind me cracking the lid and taking a quick picture with my phone, but I'm not going to go digging around in there either. All things considered, I've had better luck with a young pair of Javas than I had with 12 pairs of Gouldians. Let's see how these chicks do with both breeds.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Wish you luck.
Sounds like they are keeping you busy!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Java chicks are doing well. The first two eggs I put with the Society finches hatched, but didn't survive. The first pic is from March 22nd. They hatched on March 18th while I was out of town. The second pic was taken April 14th. They left the nest the next morning. I came out to check on everyone like I do each morning and there were 5 birds in the cage instead of 3. The parents were all proud and singing to me, but the chicks freaked out. They all seem to be doing well. They still beg to be fed, but I've seen then pecking at seed too, so I don't think there will be any problems with them weening on their own. I'll move them to another cage in about 2 weeks or so. The other pair is still goofing off. I found an eg the last time I cleaned the cage, but even with a nest box, it was dropped on the bottom. Of all the Finches I have, these guys have done the best so far.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My little Java's have gone to a good home and now I'm looking for more. Does anyone know any breeders in Arizona ? I believe the Federal law was changed in 2012 and it is now illegal to ship them out of state due to their status as an injurious / invasive species. There is a demand for them here as they do well in aviaries, so I thought I would try breeding again, I just want some new bloodlines. - Thanks